GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been experiencing rear door rattles? If so what did you find and how can it be prevented? I haven't taken the inner panel off yet to see but if I lightly pound on the door I can hear something is loose. Anyone experience this? Thanks. :eek:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Are you sure it's not the seatbelt buckle rattling against a hard plastic surface?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Snowgov said:
Has anyone been experiencing rear door rattles? If so what did you find and how can it be prevented? I haven't taken the inner panel off yet to see but if I lightly pound on the door I can hear something is loose. Anyone experience this? Thanks. :eek:
Just a thought...Why would YOU take the panel off??? Tat's what the dealer is for..
why risk breaking the cheap plastic and/or the clips?

·
Registered
698 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
Just a thought...Why would YOU take the panel off??? Tat's what the dealer is for..
why risk breaking the cheap plastic and/or the clips?
Can't speak for the OP but...

I don't think this kind of warranty work brings in the big bucks for the dealer, ergo I'd rather be the one to take a stab at taking a panel off than the possibly green technician at the dealership who's rushing because he's got the service manager on his back.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I thought I had a rattle in one of the rear doors until I realized that my wife had thrown an umbrella in the cargo area, and the metal tip was rattling on the plastic behind the rear seats.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Terrain said:
Can't speak for the OP but...

I don't think this kind of warranty work brings in the big bucks for the dealer, ergo I'd rather be the one to take a stab at taking a panel off than the possibly green technician at the dealership who's rushing because he's got the service manager on his back.
I'm sure dealer wouldn't want to pay for a replacment panel.....but if they did break it...
Now if you take it off yourself and break it you are going to pay.....
Doesn't the dealer receive labor rate for warranty work???

·
Registered
698 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
I'm sure dealer wouldn't want to pay for a replacment panel.....but if they did break it...
Now if you take it off yourself and break it you are going to pay.....
Doesn't the dealer receive labor rate for warranty work???
I guess I trust myself more than most anyone else, especially dealer techs. I'm confident I wouldn't break anything. I'd locate the resources to get the job done... not just go at it with a flat screwdriver!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Terrain said:
I guess I trust myself more than most anyone else, especially dealer techs. I'm confident I wouldn't break anything. I'd locate the resources to get the job done... not just go at it with a flat screwdriver!
I'm sorta with you there..on one hand if the dealer breaks it, they pay for it...but you could also be driving around for a week or more with a broken/missing door panel. Dealers don't have those kind of parts lying around in the shop..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate the responses. I did do a little more digging and found that the rear door panel was not attached to one of the clips near the rear wiper motor. I don't mind doing a little "trouble shooting" on my own. If I couldn't find it I would have mentioned it to the dealership at my next service appointment. I didn't think that there was any need to make a special trip just for this. I'm real happy with my Nox!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
NoobNox said:
I'm sorta with you there..on one hand if the dealer breaks it, they pay for it...but you could also be driving around for a week or more with a broken/missing door panel. Dealers don't have those kind of parts lying around in the shop..
wouldn't you have to wait for the part to come in also???
So you'd be driving around with broken/missing part anyhow.....

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Terrain said:
****, a one man dealership...
Guess that's why your on your second one....should have just found the resources to fix your first one

·
Registered
698 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
****, a one man dealership...
Guess that's why your on your second one....should have just found the resources to fix your first one
Believe me I would have, but I already have a career.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I bought my Equinox I notice a rear door rattle as I drove off the dealers lot. The next day I reported the noise and was told that I had to make an appointment which would be in the following week. Let me tell you that I was not impressed.

So the following week I went in and they said it was a bad rear door cylinder that was responsible for the noise because once the cylinder was removed no more noise. It took two weeks to get the new cylinder.Still not impressed... They installed it and told me my Equinox was ok. I drove off and the noise was still there. Still less impressed... I turned around and when back to the service dept and voiced my concern. They took the nox back in and unscrewed one rubber bumper on the bottom of the back door. It did fixed the problem but two weeks later as the temperature warmed up it would still rattle. So I deceided to fix it myself.
There is two adjustement pads one on each side of the rear door that are held in by Tork screws. I loosened the Tork screw,pushed the pad out one notch in order to make the rear door wider and voila the trouble was and is still gone. Cylinder my &@#*. That was my experience and it might hepl others

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Equinox Retiree said:
When I bought my Equinox I notice a rear door rattle as I drove off the dealers lot. The next day I reported the noise and was told that I had to make an appointment which would be in the following week. Let me tell you that I was not impressed.

So the following week I went in and they said it was a bad rear door cylinder that was responsible for the noise because once the cylinder was removed no more noise. It took two weeks to get the new cylinder.Still not impressed... They installed it and told me my Equinox was ok. I drove off and the noise was still there. Still less impressed... I turned around and when back to the service dept and voiced my concern. They took the nox back in and unscrewed one rubber bumper on the bottom of the back door. It did fixed the problem but two weeks later as the temperature warmed up it would still rattle. So I deceided to fix it myself.
There is two adjustement pads one on each side of the rear door that are held in by Tork screws. I loosened the Tork screw,pushed the pad out one notch in order to make the rear door wider and voila the trouble was and is still gone. Cylinder my &@#*. That was my experience and it might hepl others
When you say "make the rear door wider" I'm not sure what you mean by that. Was the door not closing flush with the body and now it is? (or vice versa)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm trying to understand this too. If the Torx screws are adjusted are you opening the door gap and would you then open up the door seal? Would that let in moisture? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes the two adjkustement do make the rear door wider just enough to stop it from rattling. If not adjusted properly these adjustable stopper or rests just vibrate because they do not rest on the body of the vehicle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Equinox Retiree said:

You are the man! This was driving me crazy for months and I fixed it in just a matter of seconds; thanks to your tip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts