GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Thta's what they call thinking outside the box. LOL

fullcourt said:
You can have the rearview camera on while driving, just grab the shifter and slam it into reverse when you are going 40 MPH, ;D

·
Registered
5 Posts
One thing that has not been mentioned here about the rear cam. When backing up to a trailer your ball hitch is visible on the screen you can align it to the trailer. The reason I searched for a way to turn the camera on while driving is to check the trailer and what I hope is still on it as I drive down the road. If you have somthing low on a trailer you cannot see it in your mirrors. It could become loose and shift or blow off. The cam is a perfect view for this.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I believe it is the BCM or ECM which monitors the shift location and then send out a message to the modules that need it. You would have to find a way to send a message to the radio to make it think that the shifter is in Reverse. GTPrix might be able to do this, but I'm not sure that it would be very easy.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Ruger48 said:
Anyone have any updates to this old post.
I took a look at this circuit and it looks fairly simple.
What turns the rear camera on is a battery voltage source from two places.
The first is from the iginition when the key is in the run position, no problem there.
The second is from the BCM when the shifter is put in Reverse.

The second is the same wire that powers the back up lights and interior rear view mirror.
I'm thinking a 12 volt jumper wire, not from the the back up lights wire would test this theory.
If it works you could run a wire on a switch from the drivers seat.
You would want to use a separate wire to keep away from the BCM and not turn on the back up lights.

You would also need a diode to split the power from the factory wire and the new wire from the switch, where they meet at the camera.
Do you feel lucky??

·
Registered
492 Posts
OR, pick up a blue tooth camera and pair it with your phone.

It would be easy to do using the existing 12 volt outlet in the rear for a power source and you would not risk screwing up your auto's electrical system

Here are a couple of sources and a couple of UTube videos. The are a little pricey but may be better than what you are trying to do.

http://www.4ucam.com/

http://www.topdawgelectronics.com/wifi-license-plate-backup-camera-for-iphone-android-phones-tablets/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTkuROhSzNU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zG2QQ0fg_4

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Help me out - why would one want to do this ? Seems like rear view mirrors do a good job at this.

Ooops - just thought of some reasons...

hard to use rear view mirror when tall passengers are in the back seat.

also - could be handy if cargo area is packed to the ceiling !

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
XT5 Has software that gets rid of the rear pillars and gives one a clear view
Sorry I don't have an extra $16500 (difference between MSRP on a base XT5 and a base Equinox L) in order to get a red line and get rid of rear pillars.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Old thread but I was researching this ability for the 2019 nox. I figured turning on the camera would have been via a communication channel between the body computer and the infotainment. Like rednox301 described, looks like a simple connection exists from the Backup lights to the infotainment. Thinking I could use a SPDT switch to select either power or the Backup lights to feed the infotainment.

What would bee awesome is if GM put an on-screen button to toggle the camera on/off. Be a great boost to safety and it just a little software update.

As stated earlier in the thread I want it on for:
Pulling forward parking to check lines or if in past yellow line.
Checking trailer.
General rear view/blind spots.

Anyone know how hard it is to find this wire going to the infotainment system?
Is the infotainment just below and to the right of the glove box? Wires are right there if that's the box.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Old thread but I was researching this ability for the 2019 nox. I figured turning on the camera would have been via a communication channel between the body computer and the infotainment. Like rednox301 described, looks like a simple connection exists from the Backup lights to the infotainment. Thinking I could use a SPDT switch to select either power or the Backup lights to feed the infotainment.

What would bee awesome is if GM put an on-screen button to toggle the camera on/off. Be a great boost to safety and it just a little software update.

As stated earlier in the thread I want it on for:
Pulling forward parking to check lines or if in past yellow line.
Checking trailer.
General rear view/blind spots.

Anyone know how hard it is to find this wire going to the infotainment system?
Is the infotainment just below and to the right of the glove box? Wires are right there if that's the box.

not a direct answer to ur question but removing a reverse light bulb will make the camera stay on, i found this out while installing led bulbs (that weren’t enough resistance and the reverse camera stayed on and the leds didn’t work) but you could wire in a switch at the back hatch reverse light circuit, with the switch in one position (breaking the circuit) the reverse lights wouldn’t work but the camera would be on at all times, with switch in the closed position it would work as normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm getting closer to having the rear camera on while driving. While working on trailer harness on 2019 nox LT 1.5L, spliced into backup lights for the 7 pin hitch. Just to check it out, started the engine, applied 12v to the backup light circuit and the front display showed the camera image. Got in the driver's seat and put it into drive and camera continued to display. But can't drive with the backup lights on.
So, next step will be to cut into the green/white backup wire going to the infotainment system to the right of the glovebox.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm getting closer to having the rear camera on while driving. While working on trailer harness on 2019 nox LT 1.5L, spliced into backup lights for the 7 pin hitch. Just to check it out, started the engine, applied 12v to the backup light circuit and the front display showed the camera image. Got in the driver's seat and put it into drive and camera continued to display. But can't drive with the backup lights on.
So, next step will be to cut into the green/white backup wire going to the infotainment system to the right of the glovebox.

if you put a switch on one of the wires feeding the reverse light bulbs it’ll turn the camera on. the same as removing a bulb for some reason they made it work on sensing resistance instead of just powering the camera you can test this by just removing the bulb and the camera will be stuck on. it just seems easier to do this way instead of back feeding power in the way you described

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wasn't going to back feed voltage, that was just done testing while getting trailer wiring hooked up. Going to cut the green/white backup lights wire going to the infotainment. Then the reverse lights will work like normal. Put a switch on the cut wire at the infotainment so I can pick when I want camera or regular display.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cut the green/white wire going into the infotainment. Applied 12v voltage to it and the display shows the backup camera while driving. Now to make it look nice with a switch install. This is on a 2019 LT with 7inch display.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Done...switch installed. Using a ignition/crank power feed to the switch. If you leave the switch on and used regular battery power, there could be a several milliAmp draw when car is off. Used an SPDT switch so off position connects the normal backup signal to the radio.
Fish eye camera image really something when moving at high speed.

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Done...switch installed. Using a ignition/crank power feed to the switch. If you leave the switch on and used regular battery power, there could be a several milliAmp draw when car is off. Used an SPDT switch so off position connects the normal backup signal to the radio.
Fish eye camera image really something when moving at high speed.

Might you be able to provide a step-by-step procedure for the Forum ?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts