GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something is going on with my rear brakes. Its like something is digging into the rotors. Possibly stones caught between the pads? Either way i need pads and rotors on both sides at 12000 miles. Anyone do a brake job yet? I am worried about the electric parking brake.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It shouldn't be any different than any other brakes. However you might need the tool to actually screw in the piston unlike the old days of pushing it back in. I think before you do it you go to the dealer and have them take a look. They might fix it under warranty. If both sides are doing it, I would think that is extremely rare for both to have stone/rock stuck in them. Unless you drive in area that has a lot of gravel around.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
with 12,000 miles... and BOTH sides doing it, Its hard to imagine rocks got stuck on both.

Id take it in. No way pads should need replacing at 12K.

On our 2003 Trailblazer, I did once cross a small stream- and afterwards had a grinding sound-
Yeah, there was a rock between the caliper and rotor. Removed it- and all was well.

150,000 on my Traverse and im still on the factory rear pads.
85,000 on the Equinox and still on the factory rear pads.

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you aren't comfortable doing them yourself for any reason, go to a professional. These are your brakes, there is nothing more important.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not a big deal only the wife drives it
Just kidding
Yeah i bought a new vehicle so i wouldn't have to do brake jobs.
It has 3 deep concentric circles on one side and 2 on the other side. That would be 5 rocks. So maybe rocks is unlikely.
I will see what the dealer says.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to let everyone know the dealer turned my rotors.
Not the fix i wanted but it was the only thing gm would pay for.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Nothing wrong with turned rotors; they had to finish within specifications in order to complete it. Just means you caught it early enough that turning was possible. Anymore, rotors are typically replaced along with pads rather than turning them. They aren't as thick as they used to be and wear so they are borderline for turning and still have usable thickness for service. Make sure when tires are rotated that lug nuts are torqued to spec; can result in warped rotors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a heads up to anyone doing rear brakes on calipers with electronic parking brake motors, you will need to put the vehicle into brake service mode, if you don't then you will ruin the electric brake motor when you go to push the piston in, those calipers are expensive to replace, once in brake service mode you should not have to use the special tool that spins the piston in, it should just push straight in, and it should push in very easily, when you're done you will have to take the vehicle out of brake service mode

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just a heads up to anyone doing rear brakes on calipers with electronic parking brake motors, you will need to put the vehicle into brake service mode, if you don't then you will ruin the electric brake motor when you go to push the piston in, those calipers are expensive to replace, once in brake service mode you should not have to use the special tool that spins the piston in, it should just push straight in, and it should push in very easily, when you're done you will have to take the vehicle out of brake service mode

Good to know .. Just had the Dealership do the Brake Pads at 40,000 and they still looked good for another 20,000 but on my limited retirement income wanted it done while can afford it a little better .. Doubt will have to do anything now to the Brakes for at least another 50,000 Miles if I'm still around ..

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
This is something a DIYer can do ... from a menu on the screen ... or is it done right at the motor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im having a hard time finding anything on placing these vehicles into brake service mode, however, it is definitely something a DIYer can do, things to keep in mind, when performing this action, do NOT remove the calipers first, when putting into brake service mode the module cycles the parking brake to release the fluid pressure from the calipers and motor, which pushes the piston in and out, if the calipers are off the rotor, then it will push the pistons right out of the calipers, when im at work tomorrow, I will try and look up the procedure to activate this mode, I'm a Ford technician however these motors and the technology is pretty similar for all vehicles for the most part and looks identical between Ford and Chevy, the procedure is probably the same but I don't want to give anyone false information, I will check all data tomorrow to see if it shows anything

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the exact same issue with My wife's 2018 Terrain, on both sides there are two grooves into the rotor. We noticed this after the winter when she had about 20km on them. I already bought new Raybestos Rotors and Pads with the corrosion coating on them. I knew about the Brake Service Mode on the Scan tool so I will be plugging that in and once done then doing the Rear Brake Calibration to seat them. There is a another way to do this without a scantool and its listed in the shop manual. There are separate pieces for the electric brake so the caliper would not have to be replaced if the electric brake piece was damaged.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Sounds like bad rotors on some 2018 models?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interring Brake Service Mode without scan tool

I have the exact same issue with My wife's 2018 Terrain, on both sides there are two grooves into the rotor. We noticed this after the winter when she had about 20km on them. I already bought new Raybestos Rotors and Pads with the corrosion coating on them. I knew about the Brake Service Mode on the Scan tool so I will be plugging that in and once done then doing the Rear Brake Calibration to seat them. There is a another way to do this without a scantool and its listed in the shop manual. There are separate pieces for the electric brake so the caliper would not have to be replaced if the electric brake piece was damaged.
Has anyone found the method in the service manual for entering Brake Service Mode without the scan tool? Chrysler allows the owner to do it from the media display and it would be great if GM allowed something similar.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Service Information
Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback TIS2Web Help

2018 Chevrolet Equinox | Equinox, Terrain Service Manual N America, Israel, MidEast - except Central America/Caribbean 10417165 | Document ID: 4672121

Parking Brake Service Mode Selection

Rear Parking Brake Actuator Release - Service Mode
Prior to any rear disc brake or parking brake service, the parking brake actuator must be placed in Service Mode.
 1. Install a scan tool to the vehicle.
 2. Turn the ignition ON with the engine OFF.
 3. Release the parking brake.
 4. On the scan tool menu, select Electronic Brake Control Module.
 5. Select Control Functions.

Note: Do NOT apply any brake pedal pressure during this step.
 6. Select Rear Brake Caliper Piston Retract.
 7. After the repair is complete, calibrate the park brake. Park Brake Calibration
Rear Parking Brake Actuator Release - Manual Release
In the event the rear parking brake actuator fails or there is a loss of electrical power, the parking brake may be releasedmanually.
 1. Remove the rear parking brake actuator. Rear Parking Brake Actuator Replacement
 2. Insert an appropriate hex tool past the splines of the parking brake actuator piston apply spindle in the brake caliper.
 3. Rotate the parking brake actuator piston apply spindle clockwise to release the parking brake.
 4. After the repair is complete, calibrate the park brake. Park Brake Calibration

·
Registered
89 Posts
Service Information
Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback TIS2Web Help

2018 Chevrolet Equinox | Equinox, Terrain Service Manual N America, Israel, MidEast - except Central America/Caribbean 10417165 | Document ID: 4672121

Parking Brake Service Mode Selection

Rear Parking Brake Actuator Release - Service Mode
Prior to any rear disc brake or parking brake service, the parking brake actuator must be placed in Service Mode.
 1. Install a scan tool to the vehicle.
 2. Turn the ignition ON with the engine OFF.
 3. Release the parking brake.
 4. On the scan tool menu, select Electronic Brake Control Module.
 5. Select Control Functions.

Note: Do NOT apply any brake pedal pressure during this step.
 6. Select Rear Brake Caliper Piston Retract.
 7. After the repair is complete, calibrate the park brake. Park Brake Calibration
Rear Parking Brake Actuator Release - Manual Release
In the event the rear parking brake actuator fails or there is a loss of electrical power, the parking brake may be releasedmanually.
 1. Remove the rear parking brake actuator. Rear Parking Brake Actuator Replacement
 2. Insert an appropriate hex tool past the splines of the parking brake actuator piston apply spindle in the brake caliper.
 3. Rotate the parking brake actuator piston apply spindle clockwise to release the parking brake.
 4. After the repair is complete, calibrate the park brake. Park Brake Calibration
SUCKS you need a scan tool. Anyone know what model scan tool is applicable to the 2018+ model years?

Or can this be done thru TorquePro (OBD scanner)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I'm sure you need a GM Tech 2 tool to do that. The question is, if you do the manual removal process, can you do the calibration without a scanner?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Having already done this, I can say that I did not need the scan tool for removal of the rotors and pads. When the ignition is off, the parking brake is not applied so you should be able to remove the caliper with no problems and since its already retracted you don't have to screw it in to put the new pads in. With the shims it will be a very tight fit however. The only time you would need to use a scantool would be when the caliper is stuck to the pad and will not retract or the wiring is cut off at the actuator, you just remove the two bolts on the actuator and then retract the piston. If you don't do this in this scenario you will damage the actuator which is why they have that procedure. I did have my GDS2 handy but the Tech2 is not used for this year only up to 2013 and on some vehicles only.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts