GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this rattle that is driving me crazy! It ONLY happens when accelerating. As soon as I let off the gas it stops. Kinda sounds like a baby rattle or marbles rattling. They have replaced part of my muffler which didn't work and now basically saying "theres nothing they can do about it." I believe it may be the catalytic converter but not sure what to do. What's a warranty there for if they are not willing to work on it. Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,395 Posts
Since you seems to be the only one with it, I would camp out on the dealer's doorstep until he fixes it. Sound like the cat converter guard rattling, though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, I'm with you on the heat shield. Should be a quick fix for them.

Can the dealer hear it? This should be an easy one. Bug them until they fix it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mechanic heard it one time.. very well actually. When I brought it back for him to hear one more time before ordering a part he could not hear it. I hear it very well inside the car with radio off but can also hear it with my window down. It's a very annoying rattle to wear I purposely let off the gas to make it stop because I know others on the outside can hear it. They are now telling me since replacing part of the muffler did not fix it if I want anything further I will have to have a meeting with their manager to see if it can be approved. I HAVE A WARRANTY!!! So what's the point in that if you are refusing to fix it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i may have heard something similar with mine but only barely with radio off and window down. i'm generally overly sensitive when i have something new so i may just be picking it apart, but it hasn't gotten loud enough for me to try to have anything done....yet.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
No such issues here, knock on would, but heat shield comes to mind.
If at all possible, when the noise is bad, bring it right to the dealer before it cools down so they can hear how "ear at 8 ing" it really is.
Seriously, that's what I'd do.

BYW, what configuration do you have as far as drivetrain, KaylaCole2010?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hear the same thing (I think). But only with the windows down, and when I have something right beside me (ie. I am on a bridge and have cars on one side and the cement on the other). It is really faint. Sounds almost like the enginge is dieseling and only under acceleration. I will ask the deal about it on the first service trip I have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reply: No it doesn't sound like a squeal/chirp. It sounds exactly like what a baby rattle would sound like or marbles. It's the most annoying thing when people outside your car can hear it as you drive done the road. It used to only happen after driving a little first but now it doesn't take long to start hearing it.

onyxslt1 said:
Does sound like a squeal/chirp? Does it start right away or do you have to drive a little while first?

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=666.0

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reply: the noise is bad no matter how long you drive on it but I'm so sensitive to sounds sometimes I can only hear it. You have to sometimes drive by buildings or bridges etc to get it to bounce off them to hear it. He heard it once but states there is nothing else he can do and he has only replaced one part (part of the muffler).
Oh BTW I have a front wheel drive 4-cyl.

gearhead said:
No such issues here, knock on would, but heat shield comes to mind.
If at all possible, when the noise is bad, bring it right to the dealer before it cools down so they can hear how "ear at 8 ing" it really is.
Seriously, that's what I'd do.

BYW, what configuration do you have as far as drivetrain, KaylaCole2010?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reply: Yea I can really hear it when I'm driving next to a building or a bridge, etc. The noise bounces off those things and only with acceleration. Maybe if you notice it and complain about it they can find something and I can have my dealership see that it does happen with others and fix it. It's very annoying having them tell me "there's nothing else we can do about it" when they have only replaced ONE part.

Seveniron said:
I hear the same thing (I think). But only with the windows down, and when I have something right beside me (ie. I am on a bridge and have cars on one side and the cement on the other). It is really faint. Sounds almost like the enginge is dieseling and only under acceleration. I will ask the deal about it on the first service trip I have.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
KaylaCole2010 said:
Reply: Yea I can really hear it when I'm driving next to a building or a bridge, etc. The noise bounces off those things and only with acceleration. Maybe if you notice it and complain about it they can find something and I can have my dealership see that it does happen with others and fix it. It's very annoying having them tell me "there's nothing else we can do about it" when they have only replaced ONE part.
Any chance that you may be hearing the Direct Injection fuel firing?
There are a few threads in the forums and maybe even some audio/videos you can listen to.
The I4 engine apparently makes quite the noise with the Direct Fuel Injectors.
Any chance you can record the sound and upload the file here for us to listen to it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The noise of the direct injection is different. I hear that with car in park standing on the outside. The noise I'm hearing is ONLY while driving and accelerating. It's just like a baby rattle or marble rattling around in something. It's driving me nuts but no one can seem to figure out where it is coming from.

gearhead said:
Any chance that you may be hearing the Direct Injection fuel firing?
There are a few threads in the forums and maybe even some audio/videos you can listen to.
The I4 engine apparently makes quite the noise with the Direct Fuel Injectors.
Any chance you can record the sound and upload the file here for us to listen to it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having the same issue with my I4, with a rattling nosie when I have the windows open. I can really hear it when I am driving next to a high curb, bridge, car or building. I havent taken it to the dealership yet. Was there a fix for it. It is really annoying!!! I know other ppl are looking at my car, since it's a new vehicle, ppl are checking it out, then I accelerate and the noise, I know they can hear it?

Any help??

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you're from Ohio send it to Jay GMC they have a very good mechanic in that shop.

Location & Store Hour:
Jay GMC
18800 Rockside Rd Bedford, Ohio 44146 - (888) 816-3788
Open Mon,Thu 9am-9pm; Tue-Wed,Fri-Sat 9am-6pm

·
Registered
103 Posts
TerrainSLT2 said:
If you're from Ohio send it to Jay GMC they have a very good mechanic in that shop.

Location & Store Hour:
Jay GMC
18800 Rockside Rd Bedford, Ohio 44146 - (888) 816-3788
Open Mon,Thu 9am-9pm; Tue-Wed,Fri-Sat 9am-6pm
I used to live there actually, in Maryland now.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Has anyone come up with a fix for the rattle issue yet? Any word on what it could be or what one could do to fix it?

·
Registered
143 Posts
MY rattle on gentle acceleration has been diagnosed as preignition. The tinkling sound can be heard quite clearly especially when the street is lined with buildings. There are other threads on this subject.

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=747.0

My 4 cyl Terrain does not make this tinkling sound in the current cold weather. Once the weather warms up, I'm sure it will be there again. MY cure was to fill up with Premium gas. Solved the problem immediately, and of course, that pretty well proves it is preignition, (timing too advanced)

I was advised last Fall that GM was going to issue something about this..there have been many complaints amongst Nox and Terrain 4 cyl owners.........Once I start hearing the noise again this Spring when the temperature warms up, I'll be at the Dealers and we will try and get this problem rectified.

In days gone by, we would just "retard" the timing a degree or two if our cars suffered from preignition..but with computerization and all kinds of "sensors" working together in conjunction with the computer, the timing should be set by a reprogram in the computer........ that is GM's responsibility.....

some links from that thread above on this subject

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/spark-knock-2010-equinox-sidi-i4-fwd-91012/

and check this article on why running premium in an 87 octane-designed engine isn't good long term:

http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=1317

Download the PDF version on that page. It's worth the read and has several photos not on-line.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts