GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this problem a while back but yet to have it resolved. I am still having a rattle only when accelerating (mainly slower speeds) and it's getting worse! I can really hear it well when I'm stuck in traffic driving beside concrete barriers in a construction zone. It's driving me nuts! My dealership replaced part of muffler and basically told me since they don't know where it's coming from I will have to talk to the manager to get any further help. I am probably going to bring it to another dealership and pray they find the problem. We have mentioned the catalytic converter and they said no.
Also, if I put my air on circulate it automatically turns on my air compressor even if I don't push the button to turn a/c on. Anyone know what's going on with this?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
As for the second part of your question, the a/c does cycle on when you have it set to recirculate...even if the a/c button isn't switched on. This is to dehumidify the air..

·
Registered
432 Posts
That rattle sounds EXACTLY like what i took mine in for and they installed an insulator on the high pressure fuel pump. too bad it didnt fix the problem. (but there is a TSB for that insulator)

Im probably going to go to a different dealer and get them to listen to it since the noise is "normal" according to the dealer i took it to. They accredit the noise to the Direct injection. not a chance this is not ticking...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Cameron said:
That rattle sounds EXACTLY like what i took mine in for and they installed an insulator on the high pressure fuel pump. too bad it didnt fix the problem. (but there is a TSB for that insulator)

Im probably going to go to a different dealer and get them to listen to it since the noise is "normal" according to the dealer i took it to. They accredit the noise to the Direct injection. not a chance this is not ticking...
Might not be ticking injectors, but most people likely never had an 11.4:1 CR engine or 2000psi injection rail pressure, unless youve owned a diesel.

So if its a rattle from the exhaust it could be from catalytic converter materials breaking off. This is only common if you have been running really rich and raw fuel has been getting pushed into the exhaust. That eats up those converters quick. Although a lot of engine noise is more easily heard next to a wall or out of the exhaust. So it could be pinging, in which case I would run premium gas a tank and see if it goes away and you'll know whats causing it on acceleration. If nothing helps its probably that HPFP rattling away to produce 2000psi of fuel pressure. One of the diagnostics has the dealer monitor idle fuel pressure and post shutdown bleed down pressure. If they could monitor while driving it would help more.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Why would a vehicle that hasn't been modified run rich? Wouldn't something red-flag when they plug it in to scan for issues? (assuming that that's all dealerships do now considering my truck was in 2 times and there wasn't a half a km put on combined.)

I may do the tank of 91 and see if that helps. I mentioned that it almost sounded like it was pinging to them and the listed end to it idling in the drop off bay and told me it was normal but they would take a look.
(aka run vin and see the insulator tsb had not been completed)

Im a little "rawr" about it considering it is still noisy after a 2nd trip in.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
KaylaCole2010 said:
I posted this problem a while back but yet to have it resolved. I am still having a rattle only when accelerating (mainly slower speeds) and it's getting worse! I can really hear it well when I'm stuck in traffic driving beside concrete barriers in a construction zone. It's driving me nuts! My dealership replaced part of muffler and basically told me since they don't know where it's coming from I will have to talk to the manager to get any further help. I am probably going to bring it to another dealership and pray they find the problem. We have mentioned the catalytic converter and they said no.
Also, if I put my air on circulate it automatically turns on my air compressor even if I don't push the button to turn a/c on. Anyone know what's going on with this?
Thanks!!
I would be happy to look into this for you. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name via private message, I will be able to take further steps. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Cameron said:

I would be happy to look into your concern as well. I will also need the same information from you in order to proceed. I will need your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name via private message. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
this sound like your problem?

Detonation/Spark Knock under Light Acceleration
April 1, 2011 9:14 PM
Some 2010 Equinox and Terrain models equipped with the 4-cylinder engine (VIN W, RPO LAF) may exhibit a detonation/spark knock or rattle noise under light acceleration (1,500 to 1,900 rpm). This condition is present under only partial throttle, light load conditions.

A revised calibration has been released to address this condition. Update the ECM using SPS with the latest software available on TIS2Web.

When reprogramming, be sure to update the scan tool with the latest software version and maintain battery voltage using an approved battery charger/maintainer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NoobNox said:
As for the second part of your question, the a/c does cycle on when you have it set to recirculate...even if the a/c button isn't switched on. This is to dehumidify the air..
Is this something new since the Terrains came out or is it like this in a lot of vehicles? None of my previous vehicles air compressors would turn just with circulate unless I turned on the A/C.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rbarrios said:
this sound like your problem?

Detonation/Spark Knock under Light Acceleration
April 1, 2011 9:14 PM
Some 2010 Equinox and Terrain models equipped with the 4-cylinder engine (VIN W, RPO LAF) may exhibit a detonation/spark knock or rattle noise under light acceleration (1,500 to 1,900 rpm). This condition is present under only partial throttle, light load conditions.

A revised calibration has been released to address this condition. Update the ECM using SPS with the latest software available on TIS2Web.

When reprogramming, be sure to update the scan tool with the latest software version and maintain battery voltage using an approved battery charger/maintainer.
That could possibly be it. No one has yet mentioned anything with my software. I was paying close attention to it this morning and it would start happening around 1,500 rpms. It's not as loud at high speeds but still there. It ONLY happens when pressing the gas to accelerate. As soon as I let off the gas it stops immediately. Sounds as if there are "marbles" rattling around in something. I know my car's motor runs louder than some but this rattle is something completely different.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Tricia PM sent, as outlined above that sounds very much like the cause of my noise.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would try a tank of premium gas to try to prevent the spark knock, which is the pinging discussed earlier. Higher octane fuel will not detonate as easily and quickly so it resists this pre-detonation.

·
Registered
432 Posts
i'll be filling up tomorrow after work, i'll try some premium and see if that helps. If the noise cuts down would it be safe to assume that the spark knock issue outlined above a likely culprit?
Is there a TSB or otherwise that is applied to that issue?

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
KaylaCole2010 said:
Is this something new since the Terrains came out or is it like this in a lot of vehicles? None of my previous vehicles air compressors would turn just with circulate unless I turned on the A/C.
my 2003 Trailblazer does it
my 2003 Impala did it
my 2007 Impala does it
my 2010 Traverse does it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
i also hear the pump cycling but never really thought too much about it. the one thing i do notice it excessive water dripping off of it (probably AC) even if the AC is not on, then again my inside temp is set down to 17*c so for all intent and purpose the AC is running lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cameron said:
i'll be filling up tomorrow after work, i'll try some premium and see if that helps. If the noise cuts down would it be safe to assume that the spark knock issue outlined above a likely culprit?
Is there a TSB or otherwise that is applied to that issue?
Please let me know what happened after you filled your tank up with premium. I'm at a loss for what else to do. Thanks!

·
Registered
432 Posts
drove about 20km tonight after filling up with 91 and nothing changed, i'll give it a bit more time to blend out the <10ltr or so of 87 that was still in there before passing judgement.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hey Cameron, any changes or updates relative to the ticking?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Im about 3/4 of the way through that tank of premium and it is just as ticky as on the regular.

I don't want to say the shop i went to doesn't stand up but im gonna go to a different shop for a second try. With that in mind i would love to go in with some TSB #'s or something the dealer will recognize as a legitimate issue. If i get a "thats normal" i'll loose it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts