GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been several posts complaining about a rattle on the equinox/terrain; either engine or interior. This is specifically regarding a rattle that I have had in my equinox a month after my purchase. The rattle is on the passenger side dash board where the dash meets the windshield. Like many others, this rattle drove me crazy and I was obsessed with finding it. The rattle appeared at low speeds on rough pavement. I circled around the block many times to isolate the problem. It was not in the rearview mirror assembly and not on the casing above it. Nor was itmy garage door opener remoteor sun visor. I even took apart the dome light cover and wiggled the bulbs and reflectors. It wasn't until my wife drove the car and I was able to lean forward and press the dash at the edge. I am schedule to service this at the dealer this week. Last week, I brought it in and told them of the rattle. They addressed it as a rattle I the roof rack on the exterior, but the rattle still appeared. So this time, I know where it is and it needs to be fixed. At least, I have a sigh of relief and I can go back to enjoying my drive to and from work.

I really hope this helps others out there experiencing this interior rattle.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I think I have this same dash noise. Is there any way you can post a picture of the spot where you think it is? Do you happen to know what it might be? It's hard for me to pinpoint it myself. My husband is deployed and I'm weird about not wanting other people to drive my car so I can ride in the passenger seat and try to figure it out, lol.

Mine only makes the makes when the dash get real hot sitting in the sun.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Had the same problem here; dash was disassembled 2x (fully taken-off) to find the noise, on passenger side, where dash meets windshield. Retaining clips were replaced, various screws tightened and replaced (a few were found missing from manufacturing) and nothing solved the problem. Btw, don't be afraid to have a knowledgeable tech remove your dash (fearing more rattles, later); despite its size, the dash is fairly simple to take-off and re-attach. A skilled tech can do it cleanly, properly and F-A-S-T.

Working together with dealer, we wrapped the upper dash vent (for the side window) with foam insulation. Solved the problem. Like others reported, noise would occur ONLY during heat of afternoon. This vent's duct work runs VERY close to the front of the dash (and noises can and do travel); we wrapped the entire vent duct multiple times.

For reason(s) that defy explanation, best guess is heat transference via windshield in extreme climate(s) similar to AZ, TX, etc. allows this duct to heat-up (the duct itself is very, very thin plastic) and expand just enough to rattle/vibrate (against what, we never figured-out). I said 'defy explanation' because the duct is similar on driver's side yet there is no (reported) noise on driver's side forward dash.

Wrapping the ENTIRE duct, passenger side upper vent, solved the problem.

I'd further recommend wrapping the duct enough times so it puts a slight, upward pressure on the underside of the dash above it.

·
Registered
949 Posts
oooohhhh, the dilemma....

Guess I'll have to wait until next summer to get into this, it's cooled down just enough that it doesn't happen now.

Missing screws from manufacturing? Seriously? That's disturbing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sumr616 said:
Missing screws from manufacturing? Seriously? That's disturbing.
Yep. Several screws and one bolt under A-pillar cover, passenger side. A freakin' BOLT! It's all written-up on my service paper work. My service guy(s) said finding missing screws, clips, bolts is routine; that's disheartening, to say the least.

Basic quality control is clearly absent if dealer corrective action is, in fact, 'routine.'

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Please feel free to keep me posted regarding this concern. I would also recommend bringing it to the attention of your local dealer. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Assembly Instructions : "To insure quality and safety, attach all bolts and clips, if time permits."

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've got the same rattle. We thought it was the passenger airbag, because pressing hard on the dash in that area stopped the rattle. I suspect it is the same thing, so am looking forward to the OPs post on resolution.

·
Registered
371 Posts
ArizonaNOX said:
Had the same problem here; dash was disassembled 2x (fully taken-off) to find the noise, on passenger side, where dash meets windshield. Retaining clips were replaced, various screws tightened and replaced (a few were found missing from manufacturing) and nothing solved the problem. Btw, don't be afraid to have a knowledgeable tech remove your dash (fearing more rattles, later); despite its size, the dash is fairly simple to take-off and re-attach. A skilled tech can do it cleanly, properly and F-A-S-T.

Working together with dealer, we wrapped the upper dash vent (for the side window) with foam insulation. Solved the problem. Like others reported, noise would occur ONLY during heat of afternoon. This vent's duct work runs VERY close to the front of the dash (and noises can and do travel); we wrapped the entire vent duct multiple times.

For reason(s) that defy explanation, best guess is heat transference via windshield in extreme climate(s) similar to AZ, TX, etc. allows this duct to heat-up (the duct itself is very, very thin plastic) and expand just enough to rattle/vibrate (against what, we never figured-out). I said 'defy explanation' because the duct is similar on driver's side yet there is no (reported) noise on driver's side forward dash.

Wrapping the ENTIRE duct, passenger side upper vent, solved the problem.

I'd further recommend wrapping the duct enough times so it puts a slight, upward pressure on the underside of the dash above it.
Can't agree with you on this one. My dealer beat the heck out of my dash taking it out. And everything else they touched for that matter. The biggest problem is actually getting a skilled tech the cares and actually treats your car like he cares. I will never let a dealer dismantle my dash unless I'm supervising the entire thing.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Ugh, tsduke, your situation was horrible, still makes me cringe. I guess the key word in all of this is "knowledgeable tech" and "skilled professional." lol.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Redhorseridge said:
I've got the same rattle. We thought it was the passenger airbag, because pressing hard on the dash in that area stopped the rattle. I suspect it is the same thing, so am looking forward to the OPs post on resolution.
I can also look into this for you. Please feel free to contact me privately with more information including your VIN. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
nmagsino,

Were you ever able to get this resolved. If so, what did they do to fix the issue?

I too have a rattle that is driving me crazy and it sounds like it's in about the same location you mentioned. I'll have to have my wife drive while I try to locate it between the dash and the window. Mine sounds like a buzzing sound and it is intermittent.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
knox1978 said:
nmagsino,

Were you ever able to get this resolved. If so, what did they do to fix the issue?

I too have a rattle that is driving me crazy and it sounds like it's in about the same location you mentioned. I'll have to have my wife drive while I try to locate it between the dash and the window. Mine sounds like a buzzing sound and it is intermittent.

Thanks!
Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? I would also be willing to look into this for you. Please feel free to contact me privately with more infomation about the concern for further assistance. Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this board as I just bought my first Equinox on October 27, 2011. Didn't even make my first payment and someone opened their car door too far and put a dent in my driver's side fender and of course they didn't leave a note. It's fixed now and looks brand new =) Now on to the rattle in my dash. I have the same problem that you all are having. It started about three weeks after I bought the Equinox. I told my dealer about it and they told me they couldn't do a thing about it. Just a bit mad about their response. Thinking about taking it somewhere else to have it looked at. The noise reminds me of a bunch of flies stuck in a window and can't get away, they just keep buzzing around and it's driving me bonkers.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
trailriderlv said:
Now on to the rattle in my dash. I have the same problem that you all are having. It started about three weeks after I bought the Equinox. I told my dealer about it and they told me they couldn't do a thing about it. Just a bit mad about their response. Thinking about taking it somewhere else to have it looked at. The noise reminds me of a bunch of flies stuck in a window and can't get away, they just keep buzzing around and it's driving me bonkers.
Absolute BS, go to another dealer. They should fix it with NO questions asked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer claimed they don't have the proper tools to fix things like this, yeah right, they just didn't want to fix it is what I think. When I took it in to get my dent fixed (I made the appointment in December for January 9th), I called them when I got off work and they hadn't even started on it saying that they wouldn't be able to get to it until next week. I told them I had made that appointment in December and they said someone must not of wrote it down. My car was done on Tuesday. I also had an oil change and tire rotation and they didn't charge me for it. I guess they felt a little guilty for making me wait. I will probably take my car to Springfield, IL the next time I visit my parents.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
In defense of your dealer, rattles in a dashboard are VERY hard to locate, and fix, and it is my understanding that GM doesn't like to pay for dealers to spend oodles of time looking for them, and often making things worse than when they started. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
trailriderlv said:
Hi, I'm new to this board as I just bought my first Equinox on October 27, 2011. Didn't even make my first payment and someone opened their car door too far and put a dent in my driver's side fender and of course they didn't leave a note. It's fixed now and looks brand new =) Now on to the rattle in my dash. I have the same problem that you all are having. It started about three weeks after I bought the Equinox. I told my dealer about it and they told me they couldn't do a thing about it. Just a bit mad about their response. Thinking about taking it somewhere else to have it looked at. The noise reminds me of a bunch of flies stuck in a window and can't get away, they just keep buzzing around and it's driving me bonkers.
I would also recommend taking the vehicle to another dealer. Please keep me posted and feel free to let me know if you require more assistance. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Riding in my wifes 2012 Nox last night and she too has the rattle in the dash, passenger side up near windshield.
I guess it can happen in the extreme cold climate as well, probably because of all heat being forced through the vent. outside temp was -30c (-22F) :eek:

·
Registered
682 Posts
If your dealer is not comfortable or knowledgable then you may be better off finding a dealer that is. Nothing worse than forcing someone to do a job and then having to fight them afterwords when you see things that are damaged or you end up with more rattles than before.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts