GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the second time since I got it in the middle of Nov. of 2010 that after starting car the date was on the radio display. Pushed the on button and any other button having anything to do with the radio but it wouldn't turn on. This time I pulled over and turned off car. Restarted and the radio display was blank. Nothing. It would display heat etc. when those buttons were displayed and the volume would go up and down but no sound or display. Stopped at dealer left it running and got the service writter to look at it. He pushed the on button and all worked. First time this happened it also resumed working a few minutes later. Has anyone else had this problem and resolved it?
This is the standard radio with XM

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is it cold when it sits for a while. Mine would do that if it gets cold overnight. On the AM/FM the presets would show up, but there was no sound. XM worked fine. Once the car warmed up a little and you shut the car off and restarted, there was no problem. It was like there was a computer program not starting up when it got cold. Dealership replaced the radio, and now the AM/FM work, but the XM drops signal all the time. :-[

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is doing it warm. Just started after driving and parking for about 15 min. Has happened two more times since posting.

·
Registered
107 Posts
lurker18 said:
Is it cold when it sits for a while. Mine would do that if it gets cold overnight. On the AM/FM the presets would show up, but there was no sound. XM worked fine. Once the car warmed up a little and you shut the car off and restarted, there was no problem. It was like there was a computer program not starting up when it got cold. Dealership replaced the radio, and now the AM/FM work, but the XM drops signal all the time. :-[
That's strange about the cold. I live in Montreal, and the past few weeks have been fairly cold (one day was about -27 C). I noticed that the display on the radio is a bit sluggish in the cold, but other than that, everything was fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It took a while and several explanations to the dealer how to repeat the problem, and they finally replaced the radio. The explination that I got was the radio is really 4 parts, the power, the faceplate, AM/FM reciever, and the XM reciever. There was some sort of boot up problem in the cold weather between the power and the AM/FM reciever, it would get power but not run the full loading cycle, stall out just like a computer. If I powered down and restarted after a little warming, everything was ok.

Now I am having some trouble with losing sgnal to the XM. Comes and goes, some days worse than others, so i am going to give it a week and let the dealer fix another problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am on my 3rd radio, and (fingers crossed) everything seems to be finally working. It took full replacement of the radio to get everything working. Warrenty covered this.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hmm radio alone might be worth the cost of an extended warranty....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts