GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody
Just wondering your thoughts....whats the difference? whats better? I plan on ordering my terrain tomorrow and was just looking for some help....thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Personally, I'd base my decision on whether or not I favored the V6 engine or the I4, not on the steering choice.

I vote for the V6.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I wish they offered the electric PS system on the V6s. The hydraulic setup in my Terrain feels weak and is noisy with the big wheels, while turning at low (parking lot) speeds. While I've never driven one with the 4-cyl/electric PS I think it would be quieter.

·
Registered
698 Posts
No, I haven't taken it to the dealer. Haven't even checked the fluid yet.

I might have made it sound more dramatic than it is. There is always some noise associated with the hydraulic system. My frame of reference might be different than most people's too as I have only ever driven half ton 4x4 and Jeep vehicles - all had very powerful PS systems, and mostly re-circulating ball as opposed to rack and pinion.

·
Registered
10,113 Posts
As far as electric power steering, if I hadn't read that I have it, I would never have realized it. I haven't mentioned it to the wife, and she has made no comments regarding the steering - seamless transition to EPS.

On the other hand, my '03 Vibe - I could sit at a traffic light and gently move the steering wheeel left or right, and the tach would go up 100-150 rpms for the extra engine load of the PS pump. Talk about an underpowered engine !

·
Registered
54 Posts
JD1980 said:
Hey everybody
Just wondering your thoughts....whats the difference? whats better? I plan on ordering my terrain tomorrow and was just looking for some help....thanks
I drove both an I4 and a V6. I thought that the V6 steering felt mushy compaired to the I4's EPS.
If you arent going to tow no need for the V6. IMHO

·
Registered
446 Posts
Re: rack-mounted elec power steering 2.4L -VS- hydraulic power rack-and-pinion 3

Our 'Nox is the 2nd vehicle we've had with electric assist steering. We LOVE it! The steering seems much more responsive and agile than does any other we've driven. I wish they'd put this on other vehicles too.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
My Nox is the first vehicle I've had with electric assist steering and I don't see why all cars don't have this. First of all it's silent (no squeal when you turn the wheel to extremes) but the best part is that steering "feel" is just fine, and it doesn't place an extra burden on the engine. I credit the electric assist steering as one of the reasons the I4 is a viable choice on a vehicle of this size/weight.

·
Registered
441 Posts
i miss my hydro assist on my old car....it truely does feel the road better then electric......some variabable steering is better then none though....

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
gar187er said:
i miss my hydro assist on my old car....it truely does feel the road better then electric......some variabable steering is better then none though....
I don't think there is any physical reason why electric assist can't be dialed in to give just as good road feel. The benefits are that it is maintenance free, doesn't sap engine power and therefor provides better performance/fuel economy.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The steering just felt smoother with hydro. I know I'm basing it from car to suv which isn't a good comparison, but still.

Either way the op shouldn't base his purchase off of power steering

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
gar187er said:
The steering just felt smoother with hydro. I know I'm basing it from car to suv which isn't a good comparison, but still.

Either way the op shouldn't base his purchase off of power steering
That may be so, and maybe it's just more what you're used to. Hydro assist can be horrible as well...remember the "no feel whatsoever" overboosted power steering that was in most cars from the 60's through the 80's? From what I hear, it's difficult to dial in the right amount of road feel while still keeping the steering column isolated from potholes and bad road irregularities. At some point electric assist will be as good as a dialed in hydro system...along with the other benefits I already mentioned.

M

·
0 Posts
Before I purchased my nox the dealer gave me both a 4cyl and a 6cyl for an entire day and over night back-to-back each. I've driven both all day for my sales calls so more than just a 5 min around the block test drive. I've thoroughly felt up both :)

So trust me...The verdict....the electric power steering on the 4 cyl is out right 100% better than the hydraulic on the 6cyl. The electric is so responsive and smooth and almost made me forfit getting the 6 for that feature alone.

But at the end of the day you have to buy the vehicle for the engine you want, not the steering mechanism.

Wondering why they couldn't add electric in the 6. It's just a motor on the rack...and don't give me any bull about the 6 is much heavier at the wheels ect....you just put a bigger motor or a different ratio gearbox on the steering column. The electic is way simpler and would cost much less than the hydraulic to manufacture....less things to go wrong for the customer and also save about 1mpg in fuel. If governments were really serious about energy conservation they would make it mandatory to make all vehicles have electric steering...think of the billions of gallons of fuel to be saved from just this alone!.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I had the electric assit on my VUE. Was loser than the Nox. I had the old fashioned htdrolic on my 2000 LS1. I had steering rack problems. If you get small leaks in pressue you get sounds from the steering. I had to have a steering rack replaced on the 2000. I belive the electric assist gives you a little better gas mileage

1 - 14 of 14 Posts