GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have to say my Mom had a 2005 Equinox when they first came out, and it was a really nice vehicle with the exception of the road noise. My 2014 is not any better. I've noticed that the Silverado and some of the other GM models have 'carpet' in the wheel wells to quiet the road noise. I would like to add some to my Equinox, or some type of Dynamatt product. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I like the the "" carpet "" idea in my 2016 Sierra , and it doesnt hold debris. Very quite.

Noxs have alot of road noise , changing from the OEM Michelin Lattitude tires would make a huge difference.

Only thing i would try in the wheel house is GM Rubberizied Undercoating .... would it adhere to scuffed up ( Scotchbrite )
liners ????

#10952414 or #12378398

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
yeap, look for tires that are rated highly for low road noise.

Our Nox, got quieter when I went from the factory tires to some Toyo Versados.

That should give you a start.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
yeap, look for tires that are rated highly for low road noise.

Our Nox, got quieter when I went from the factory tires to some Toyo Versados.

That should give you a start.
My experience has always been that all new tires are quiet (enough) initially - probably because the rubber is so fresh and pliable (and tread pattern factors into this, too). But then, as the tires age, they *can* become louder - maybe depending on how they wear, or how less pliable the rubber becomes over time?

Don't forget, too, that there are different road surfaces out there, and some of them contribute a LOT to road noise. Who hasn't been rolling down the Interstate on a long drive with a quiet cabin and heard road noise that made you think you had a tire problem on your hands? But then the road surface changes and the noise goes away...

Reactions: bigb12359

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
agreed.
Yes, quiter when new...

Though, if I believe what I read, some features put into the tire tread design can make them a little quieter.
If youre looking at say 2 tires made by the same manufacturer.... they will have ratings on traction, noise, etc.
I would choose the one that has the better rating for being quiet. (assuming the other specs are close or equal).

our 2007 Impala. 3.9L V6 with factory dual exhaust

When I replaced the tires, on the way home on the highway, I kept hearing what I thought was a vehicle/truck next to me in my blind spot, and I kept turning my head to look for the vehicle in the next lane. None.

Well it turns out, that what I was hearing was MY Impalas dual exhaust...............

The new tires where quieter. I heard my duals sound for the 1st time.

Even when the car was new and had the new factory tires, I had never heard the dual exhaust on the highway (windows up), like I did that day with the new tires.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
But aren’t those tire ratings subjective (assigned by the manufacturer)? I know I’ve read that the treadwear or treadlife numbers are. The manufacturers assign their own numbers and you really can’t compare them from manufacturer to manufacturer because there’s no standardization.

I think the only numbers you can trust on a tire are the size and manufacture date.

Is there any info/general guidelines out there about tread design and what to look for to buy the quieter tires?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dynamat. Look it up. Take out some of your interior panels in the back, (easy to do), lay down some dynamat, and button it back up. It will be a tremendous improvement.

Tim

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
But aren’t those tire ratings subjective (assigned by the manufacturer)? I know I’ve read that the treadwear or treadlife numbers are. The manufacturers assign their own numbers and you really can’t compare them from manufacturer to manufacturer because there’s no standardization.

I think the only numbers you can trust on a tire are the size and manufacture date.

Is there any info/general guidelines out there about tread design and what to look for to buy the quieter tires?

yeah, thats why I said, 2 tires from same manf....

as far as tech, It seems each brand has different technology....

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
yeah, thats why I said, 2 tires from same manf....
Yeah, but it's still their own rating system. So "our tire A is quieter than our tire B", but how quiet is it *really*?

It's relative quietness (within one brand) when what you really might be looking for is absolute quietness (across all brands).

That's why I said knowing what to look for in the actual tread design might be the best way to pick the quietest tire ... but it's probably not that simple.

And then factor in the road surface contributing to the noise - and maybe even how different tires amplify the noise differently from different road surfaces.

Probably need a TNC system (Tire Noise Cancellation) in your vehicle, tuned for your installed tires, to really get it right.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Isn’t road noise subjective? I remember one poster when I had the 2012 Equinox that complained the cabin noise in his was loud whereas we never felt ours was noisy.

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Isn’t road noise subjective? I remember one poster when I had the 2012 Equinox that complained the cabin noise in his was loud whereas we never felt ours was noisy.

I think that is true. But equally true is the age and wear of the tires. A lot of input about noise from folks, but it may also depend on how old the tires are, tread wear, and even tire pressure. All too often we aren't privy to those details.
I do think the stock Latitude tires on our 2015 Equinox LTZ are now pretty noisy after only 30,000 miles, still good tread left and I usually run 36 PSI cold tire pressure. Hot pressure goes up to 39PSI and even 41 PSI in very hot weather. So that too might make a noise difference.
That said, we put Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tred Touring tires on our Saturn Aura (back in 2011) and they were so much better than the stock tires. Even though there were only about 24,000 miles on the stock tires, we couldn't stand the road noise and those tires were terrible in rain and snow. Very hard rubber compound I think. They would easily spin on take off on wet pavement.

We gave the car later to our daughter and those tires went well over 60,000 miles too.

So subjective for sure, but there are real differences on tires. The tough part is determining what tire for what vehicle will give a person what they want in a tire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is there another solution? I don't want to buy tires to reduce road noise, I want the vehicle to do that. Is there any spray in liners for the wheel wells?
Undercoating?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did replace my tires with general altimaxs in the spring. We rotated the tires and it quieted it a little. These tires are junk!

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Is there another solution? I don't want to buy tires to reduce road noise, I want the vehicle to do that. Is there any spray in liners for the wheel wells?
Undercoating?

Any spray in liner will not reduce tire and road noise significantly.

Maybe tearing out interior panels and adding audio sound deadening mat might help.
But buying and using aggressive tread tires generally = more road noise.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Don't forget for a few years the Noxes (and terrains) have active noise cancellation..I can say that on highways it does a pretty good job (and we have the diesel).

So if you have not covered the ANC microphones...when windows are closed minor difference in different tire brand noises should not be noticed...

I suspect if you are using studded tires on dry pavement ... the ANC cannot fully compensate for those

1 - 15 of 15 Posts