GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pick up my new Equinox today. While sitting in the car, the salesman is showing me how things work. He then connects to OnStar, for the "welcome call." He told me beforehand that they would want to sign me up to buy stuff......so I was prepared for that. So the salesman gets out of the car and lets me talk to the OnStar lady.

I have never had OnStar or XM radio, but I already know I am loving XM radio, for commercial-free music!! Is it 3 months free? And then after 3 months, what would it cost for me to continue it?

With OnStar today, I was supposed to sign up for phone minutes.....but I didn't know what the heck she was talking about, so I said no. She put a note on my file, and I have 24 hours to call back, if I want it. Someone said it had something to do with being able to use your phone hands-free, or is it bluetooth? And how much does the OnStar cost, after the initial 6 months (I think) free?

I am sorry for all these dorky questions......but I am really new to this, and I don't want to make the wrong choices. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
338 Posts
OnStar is free for 2011's for the first 3 months.

With OnStar you also have car phone with a unique phone number. It can come in handy if you forget your cell phone or the battery dies on a cell phone. Also when in mountains I have used it when my cell phone couldn't get a signal.

I think you get 60 minutes free.

These minutes have nothing to do with the bluetooth system for your personal cell phone.

·
Registered
371 Posts
ChevyMgr said:
OnStar is free for 2011's for the first 3 months.

With OnStar you also have car phone with a unique phone number. It can come in handy if you forget your cell phone or the battery dies on a cell phone. Also when in mountains I have used it when my cell phone couldn't get a signal.

I think you get 60 minutes free.

These minutes have nothing to do with the bluetooth system for your personal cell phone.
OnStar is 6 months. XM is 3 months. I only got 30 minutes in October, has that changed?

·
Registered
626 Posts
OnStar is actually free for 6 months. It's XM that gives you 3 months. No free minutes, but it only cost about 10 cents/minute or something. I bought 60 minutes with the car for $6.55. Minutes last the duration of your OnStar contract.

·
Registered
338 Posts
tsduke said:
OnStar is 6 months. XM is 3 months. I only got 30 minutes in October, has that changed?
My mistake 6 months is correct.

I guess I should have been there when my wife set it up. We only got to roll over our minutes from the last vehicle. She paid $11 for 100 plus what we have. No free minutes at all. In my Malibu I got the year and 60 minutes back in 2009.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information, guys!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I got my Equinox 1 year ago tomorrow and I got 1 year of On Star with it for free. I immediately paid for extra minutes (my mistake). I could die of old age before On Star could properly call the number I give it. I have been able to complete 2 calls in 1 year! When On Star repeats the number I gave it isnt even close. It would be funny if it wasnt so sad.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!!! I don't think I am going to get the OnStar minutes. Plan to co-ordinate my phone to use bluetooth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
TerryG said:
I got my Equinox 1 year ago tomorrow and I got 1 year of On Star with it for free. I immediately paid for extra minutes (my mistake). I could die of old age before On Star could properly call the number I give it. I have been able to complete 2 calls in 1 year! When On Star repeats the number I gave it isnt even close. It would be funny if it wasnt so sad.
Sorry you've had the experience. Occasionally OnStar misunderstands me, but most of the time it's fine. I've used the handsfree phone often in the 3 years I've had the service. You can also store numbers and just say "Call Joe" or "Call Sue". You do have to enunciate very clearly and try to remove any trace of an accent from your voice. Although I plan to use bluetooth in my Equinox, I wanted the basic $5.00-$6.00 for 60 minutes loaded just in case I ever forget my cell or am in an area without service.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had OnStar free for a year on my last Impala, and I thought it was a year on the Nox. Not that it matters to me, I never used it the last time I had it. I am curious about what you guys that took XM radio after the trial ran out ended up paying. I got a letter from them already wanting me to pay $12.95 a month, which isn't going to happen, but a friend just did a deal with them for $87.00 a year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don B said:
I had OnStar free for a year on my last Impala, and I thought it was a year on the Nox. Not that it matters to me, I never used it the last time I had it. I am curious about what you guys that took XM radio after the trial ran out ended up paying. I got a letter from them already wanting me to pay $12.95 a month, which isn't going to happen, but a friend just did a deal with them for $87.00 a year.
I think the last time we renewed XM was at $87.00 a year also and I think that's the most we've ever paid. When they don't want to give us a good price, we just tell them to cut it off. That usually makes them willing to offer a reasonable deal.

As for OnStar, we have used it fairly often when we travel. I've called them from the Interstate to ask for nearby restaurants in the direction we are heading. Garmin (and I guess other Nav) will tell you everything in all directions and someone has to be pushing all the buttons and searching. I've called to get a phone number for a restaurant to call and make reservations. They will give you business addresses and phone numbers. I use turn by turn directions locally if I kinda know where I'm going, but not where an exact address is located.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I renewed XM for 5 months for $20 + fees, like $22 total.

·
Registered
196 Posts
every time my xm is about to renew...I call to "cancel"

first time i got 5 months for 20...after that was about to renew to normal monthly rate I called again and got 12 months for 77...not a bad deal either

1 - 13 of 13 Posts