GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum, so I hope I am posting in the right section...
I have a 2010 Equinox with 26,000 kms. When I took it to the dealer for the last oil change they told me I had missed my front caliper service and semi-annual inspection. I didn't have time for it but am now due for my next oil change. How important is it to get these done at the recommend intervals? Is it worth the cost, or is a lot of it a money grab?
I think I can skip the wheel balancing, alignments and rotations because I use winter tires half the year, but not sure about the rest. It seems like they charge a lot for the little time it takes them.

In comparison to my last car (98 Civic) there seems to be a constant need for some type of service. I was fortunate to have a relative do most of the maintenance on my last car and it lasted me 12 years with no major issues. I'm hoping to put as much of until the summer when I can give him the car for a day and have him do all the required service.

I would appreciate any advise on what service are critical.
Thanks!

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
Money Grab ! :mad:

·
Registered
371 Posts
What the frick is a front caliper service? Other than a money grab. If my dealer tried something like that on my it would be the last time they saw me for service or sales. That type of push is for hole in the wall con artist shops.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
front caliper inspection..ha...Im assuming brake inspection...

are you in Canada (you posted kms)?....are you in an area with lots of winter road salt?.

might be a reason for the caliper inspection..personally, if my brakes feel good, and i dont hear the wear indicators...i would wait...just me though...

your buddy should be able to do a quick look and see how your brake pads are..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The maintenance schedule I got from the dealership says "recommeded mileage intervals to perform Ontario climate service maintenance"
Its specifically says Front Caliper Service every 20,000. They don't list Brake Inspection on the sched, so maybe this is the same thing?? Do I need it??
- clean and lubricate slide pins and bushings
- lube all metal contact points
- prevents uneven and premature brake wear

They also recommend...
- Emission Service (every 30K): perform engine scan and update
- Throttle Body Service (70K): clean throttle body linkages and IAC motor

I never had to do anything other than oil and other fluid changes/flushes with my old car so this is all foreign to me.

I think I was quoted about $200 for the caliper service, which may have included oil change (approx $45). I was told that if I don't do this service and my calipers fail that my warranty won't cover the repair.
I was also told I should do oil changes every 5,000 kms, rather than follow the oil life monitor. I'm at about 6,000 or 55% now. Which should I follow?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
personally sounds like a dealership thing..Im sure its inspection because of the conditions..(weather)..though I have never heard of that service in Detroit, where Im from..

Its a brake inspection...which is on my required maintenance...but, again, I have the brakes done when needed..the calipers,brake lines, are inspected,lubed when brake pads are changed..

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
I think I would try to some of their demands in writing, and then have them reported to the powers to be in GM. To me, they are requiring you do do things that GM does not require, and then giving you a line of BS that GM will not cover warranty items. I would not go to that dealer, if I were you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just follow the recommended services and intervals in the Owners Manual. Anything else is a money grab. Change dealers!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry, i wasnt sure where to post this. i'm in sales. just promoted. i want a new Cadillac because if i go too luxury i'll just piss off my clients that pay me and i'll lose the blue collars. Anyone got a suggestion on a nice, yet unoffensive model??

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Really??!! Ha....Good Luck in sales..

·
Registered
34 Posts
briando said:
Sorry, i wasnt sure where to post this. i'm in sales. just promoted. i want a new Cadillac because if i go too luxury i'll just piss off my clients that pay me and i'll lose the blue collars. Anyone got a suggestion on a nice, yet unoffensive model??
A restored 57 Chevy should do the trick.. ;-)

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
Maybe a Cimarron and you could put Cavaliar emblems on it to disguise its Caddy Heritage !

;D

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
oh that was horrible wasnt it!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts