GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Equinox LTZ AWD W/ NAV here.

I have a quick question regarding how to add an additional subwoofer to the Pioneer system.

After I run the Power and Ground wires, can I splice into the stock subwoofer to get RCA's for my amp? If not, what equipment would I need to get to make this work? Planning on running 1 Rockford Fosgate T1D4 12" woofer with a Hifonics BRX1000.1D amplifier.

Any suggestions?

Using stock Alternator for now, Big 3 completed.

May consider adding another battery in the future.

·
Registered
2019 GMC Terrain 2.0 AWD , no V92 trailer option
518 Posts
Stay away from me. The thumping base entering my yard, vehicle and home is irritating and inconsiderate. It does not make you "cool".

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Camaro69car.. did you search out thru the index here for what others have done or issues faced. I cannot pull up the direct threads from here but about 7 months ago the same type of questions were asked and answers were provided. So my best suggestion is do search it out here. Hope that helps.. sorry wasn't the easy answer. But it's not going to be an easy fix as I remember reading.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'm not searching for the right Key words. And I dont "bump" in neighborhoods. good way to get your stuff stolen.

Also, Im not reading any info about being able to splice in RCA's right at the Pioneer subwoofer. Most everybody has wired it behind the radio. The LOC I have has gain adjustments I'd like to be able to access easily to tune the subwoofer to a comfortable level.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I get what your saying.. when I was into the stero scene many years ago I had it all adjustable. Had my 6 speakers on one amp (with capicator) . Had the rear speakers on another amp (capicator equipped) and the 12 sub in the back again with its own amp (capicator equipped). Wasn't a show car.. I just was into music that much then and wanted it to all sound crisp. Key word "subwoofer" or "amp".. maybe tomorrow if time permits I will try to find it for you.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Okay keyword "amplifier" got to the second topic for it.. it may be the thead to hold the answers for you I hope..

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Sure, you could splice the LOC into the subwoofer wires at the rear. Make sure you use a LOC. I did a similar setup, but used the subwoofer wires to feed my amplifier high level input.
I also pointed out there are already low level wires coming out the head unit to the OEM amp. But you mentioned you don't want to bother up front.
The rear wires for the Pioneer sub has deep frequencies, as my Kicker sub thumps deeper than the stock sub.
But this LOC at the rear cannot feed speaker amplifiers because the higher frequencies have been tuned out.

Hope you'll share an update after this project. Good luck.

2013 GMC Terrain SLT-1, FWD, 3.6 V6 (LFX), Sunroof

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Actually, a question: why don't you use the high level input for your amp? Or does it not have one?

2013 GMC Terrain SLT-1, FWD, 3.6 V6 (LFX), Sunroof

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Havent bought the amp yet, so IDK what it's got. gotta grow my piggy bank a little more before I build. I have an LOC and have used it before, but being in the dash makes it difficult to adjust gains if needed. So thats why I'd prefer to splice in near the back of the vehicle where I can place the LOC where I have easier access. Still in the planning stage at the moment, but will post build pics as they come.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well,,,, I wanted to add an aftermarket amp and sub myself. Check out this thread which I have posted in and it provided me with all of the info I needed to get bumping...lol.

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=6075.msg99991#msg99991

There is the factory amplifier (non Pioneer stereo systems) which provides speaker level outputs to the door speakers. I used the rear output to splice into using 3M splice connectors that can be removed cleanly without any cutting or soldering. Connect your High Level input from the amp to the rear door speaker output (don't use RCA's, never had any luck cutting RCA's and splicing due to all of the weird aluminum insulation). The factory amp is under the panel which is found under the steering wheel area. It is a small (4 x 6" amp, going from memory, and it is silver, can't miss it). The thread should still have the colors to pin point the rear speaker output wires and separate neg from pos. I have the stock stereo, no Pioneer and the ANC (active noise cancellation) and there has been no negative effects from the ANC system which I thought I may have trouble with. I had less than 1k miles on mine, brand spanking new and I hooked up a Rockford Fosgate P300 All-In-One sub type setup. It included the built in amp and the 12" sub. It has High Level speaker inputs to except the rear door speaker inputs. It was easy and clean.

To run your power wire....here is where I spent the majority of the time...about 2 - 3 hours with routing it alone where the whole install took only about 4 hours to finish....

I found a rubber boot above the brake pedal that I was able to squeeze 4ga power wire though (steering shaft runs though it also). It was VERY tough as the rubber boot is VERY stiff (for obvious reasons). Using this location I have had ZERO water leakage or any drafts as the rubber boot will seal around the new power wire.

If you have any other questions, PM or reply here!

Good Luck! (But you won't need it. I'd rate this install as a 4 on a scale of 10 comparing to dozens of other stereo installs)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Video was not working, however I'm sure I can figure it out when I actually go to hook the stuff up. it will be a couple more months before I purchase the amp. and build my box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2012 Equinox LTZ AWD W/ NAV here.

I have a quick question regarding how to add an additional subwoofer to the Pioneer system.

After I run the Power and Ground wires, can I splice into the stock subwoofer to get RCA's for my amp? If not, what equipment would I need to get to make this work? Planning on running 1 Rockford Fosgate T1D4 12" woofer with a Hifonics BRX1000.1D amplifier.

Any suggestions?

Using stock Alternator for now, Big 3 completed.

May consider adding another battery in the future.
LLJ customs it takes a while since there custom mad but they got my 2017 hooked up with no anc problems

1 - 12 of 12 Posts