GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Does anyone know if the GMC Terrain have a cabin filter? I would think it would, but I don't see any mention of it in the owners manual. Anyone?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
698 Posts
No cabin filter? I wonder what "air conditioning - automatic climate control with air filtration system and rear floor ducts" in the brochure is referring to.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Terrain said:
No cabin filter? I wonder what "air conditioning - automatic climate control with air filtration system and rear floor ducts" in the brochure is referring to.
That's a good question about the air filtration system.
A call to GM or a dealer may provide some insight.

·
Registered
635 Posts
irwinbdi said:
Hello all,

Does anyone know if the GMC Terrain have a cabin filter? I would think it would, but I don't see any mention of it in the owners manual. Anyone?

Thanks,

Brian
The filter part number is listed in the Terrain owners manual..see picture below

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
SnowItch said:
I'll change that to I was told "No, it does not". It also is not listed in the owner's manual as a part, or as part of the maintenance schedule.

Take it to Jiffy Lube, I'm sure they'll sell you something that they call a cabin filter at an inflated price.
It is[/color] listed in the owners manual as a part..I posted a copy! Right above your post!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've found the whole purpose of putting these filters in inaccessible places is to insure the dealer gets to add the labor cost to the job. If it was like an engine air filter, anyone can do it...maybe even us! But I'm sure some genius here will try it and then post the directions. Then, it's only the idiots who don't look at the forum who pay!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
The first GM vehicle I had with an internal air filter was my old 2000 Silverado. WOW was it hard to change! I had to litterally hang upside down under the dash and take apart the air duct system! I can see that they do need to put the filter in-line with the air duct flow, so it's placement is not a problem. What is a problem is how they make it hard to get to. Anyone can change one today though. They did fix the access somewhat on later Silverado's. And newer cars with them (almost all GMs) are much easier than before.

Fortunately, from my experience they don't need changing very often. I changed the Silverado's air filter once in the ten years I owned it. The old one didn't seem that dirty either. So basically, unless you own your Terrain/'Nox/SRV for very login, I wouldn't worry about it too much. A handful of screws and about 10 mins worth of work isn't that big of a deal every 5 years or so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the replies!!

It does have one!. Its behind the glove box. In my the Terrain the glovebox just pulls out and the trap door for the filter is just behind it. I opened the trap door and removed the filter to inspect it. Its pretty big and had a little debris on it even after 250 miles. I live in a very dust desert, so I generally replace this filter every 6 months on my other vehicles.

Thanks again for your replies.

Brian

·
Registered
635 Posts
irwinbdi said:

It does have one!
Maybe just the Terrain has a cabin filter?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just went to GM Canada's web site and ran the Autodata compare chart for Terrain vs. Equinox and it lists the cabin air filter as "standard" on both vehicles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The filter dimensions:

10" x 8 7/8" x 3/4"

Brian

·
Registered
635 Posts
SnowItch said:
Hmmm... Interesting.

This was one of the things I asked about specifically because my son has bad allergies. Usually, if a car has a filter, and we get a HEPA filter (make a HEPA filter) for it, he's fine. If it doesn't have a filter, we take a small 12v filter with us (which we did this fall). We were told no.

Based on Brian's post, I went out and look - ours doesn't have a filter. Not a big deal, because I would have replaced the stock filter, but I'm still curious why one wasn't installed.

Anyway, the glove box comes out quite easily. When you open the box, you can feel along the top of it, and there is one place that the top of the box "catches" on a outcropping. It is easy to "bend" the glove box (its very flexible) so that it releases from the top and swings down (do yourself a favor and empty the box first). I simply pushed the back up (to remove it from the bottom hinge plate) and a little to the right, and it came right out. The "filter" box itself is towards the top of the space where the glove box was. There are two "clips" that open by pushing the center piece up and then pulling the surrounding latch forward. The door hinges from the top, and there is a space for the filter, but in my case - no filter.

Brian (or someone else who goes to look),

Can you measure the filter for me (The AC/Delco site doesn't list dimensions) - I'd like to make/buy a HEPA filter for my Nox.
Is the spot there for the filter but it's just missing or no trap door at all Sno? Maybe they just forgot to insert it on the line.

If it's just missing the dealer would have to pay for a new one Sno.

·
Registered
635 Posts
SnowItch said:
Yep, the spot is there - no filter. I would just replace the GMC filter with a better one, but I would have liked to have known about the slot for one.

I'm really surprised that its not mentioned on any of the documentation for maintenance.
It is in the manual with the part number..remember... I showed you! ::)

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
irwinbdi said:

It does have one!. Its behind the glove box. In my the Terrain the glovebox just pulls out and the trap door for the filter is just behind it. I opened the trap door and removed the filter to inspect it. Its pretty big and had a little debris on it even after 250 miles. I live in a very dust desert, so I generally replace this filter every 6 months on my other vehicles.

Thanks again for your replies.

Brian
I checked mine....yep it is there. So I stand corrected, good job Brian following thru on this one.

KJ

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Anybody find the HEPA filter number for the cars?

The wife is highly allergic to well, almost anything, and a filter would do wonders.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's the filter dimensions again,

10" x 8 7/8" x 3/4"

Brian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts