GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone:
I am a potential customer of this 2012 terrain. I did a lot of research on this vehicle, and I really like both exterior and interior they provided. But I am also kinda of freak out by the engine issue that happened on 2010 and 2011 models. I am wondering if there is anybody on this forum who have a 2012 model could share their opinions/related issues to help me out here ???. If you have other issues, please let me know too. So I can make a decision to order it or not.
I am only considering I4 because of their advertised MPG and the area I lived in eat more gas than average.
BTW, is there any huge differences between SLT-1 and SLT-2? Why people are saying to get a SLT-2 instead of SLT-1.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Thank you for your interest in the 2012 Terrain! The SLT-2 would have more options and features available compared to the SLT-1. You can get a better idea of the differences and view at side by side comparison of the trims at http://www.gmc.com/terrain-smaller-suv/features-specs/options.html#series=TLH26_3SB. Good luck with your purchase and feel free to contact me with any questions.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The differences between SLT-1 and SLT-2 are the number of options offered with each version. The SLT-2 has more options that you may or may not want or need. I keep looking at these cars, but don't want leather interior. It is too hot in Florida for leather seats and shorts. I "burned" my legs climbing on to hot seats with my last car after it was sitting in the sun. But there are several options that I do want, and after some bad experiences with special ordered cars, I hestate going that route.

I keep looking because the dealers have very few on the lots and those dealers that do seem to have black cars which is another no-no for me in Florida. I'm also seeing many concerns about poor gas mileage with the I-4, noisy strart-ups and the need to reflash the computers to get them to run correctly.

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
Old Lar said:
I'm also seeing many concerns about poor gas mileage with the I-4, noisy strart-ups and the need to reflash the computers to get them to run correctly.
I don't think that the '12s have any problems with the 4-cyl...yet !

·
Registered
368 Posts
Old Lar said:
The differences between SLT-1 and SLT-2 are the number of options offered with each version. The SLT-2 has more options that you may or may not want or need. I keep looking at these cars, but don't want leather interior. It is too hot in Florida for leather seats and shorts. I "burned" my legs climbing on to hot seats with my last car after it was sitting in the sun. But there are several options that I do want, and after some bad experiences with special ordered cars, I hestate going that route.

I keep looking because the dealers have very few on the lots and those dealers that do seem to have black cars which is another no-no for me in Florida. I'm also seeing many concerns about poor gas mileage with the I-4, noisy strart-ups and the need to reflash the computers to get them to run correctly.
You might like the Terrain SLE-2 with the convenience package. This adds heated (premium cloth) seats and remote start. The sunroof is another popular option. The SLE-2 strikes a nice balance in equipment without the leather seats. Like you, I am not a fan of leather seats for a number of reasons.

Also, as the prior post noted, there are no reports of the I4 engine issues with the 2012's at this point. In fact, there are no reports for vehicles built since late June of 2011. GM issued a bulletin for the 2011 models, for vehicles built up through June 6, 2011... so while no-one has said *what* they changed on June 6, they obviously changed something. And there are no reports of the I4 engine issues on vehicles built since that time that I recall seeing. In addition, there have been posts stating that the 4 cylinder engine for 2012 is slightly different: something to do with the pistons and compression ratio.

Good luck... Overall these are great vehicles and from what you posted, the SLE-2 might just be a winner for you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We just picked our 2012 Terrain SLT-1 up this last Saturday, have around 150 miles on it, not too much, no issues to report (other than the dexcool being overfilled). It was built in August and had 64 miles on it when we bought it so it had been test drove a few times for sure. I have not heard any startup noises, no thumps in back. Mileage (on computer) was 28.2 for the 80 mile trip home.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
Thank you for your interest in the 2012 Terrain! The SLT-2 would have more options and features available compared to the SLT-1. You can get a better idea of the differences and view at side by side comparison of the trims at Good luck with your purchase and feel free to contact me with any questions.
Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Thank you Tricia. I did the side comparison of the trims at GMC webside, but I also found some unique features showed up in SLT-2 standard equipment did not show up in side by side comparison, such as memorable driver's seat. This is the reason I wanna asked here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
yep, memory for the seats would be nice (we only have the SLT-1). We also wanted the electric liftgate. It all came down to money for us, we indulged in the liftgate and sunroof and heated leather seats. I use the Costco auto program (there are others also) to configure the options and see what the costs are. It is not perfect but certainly gives a relative compare.

·
Registered
39 Posts
jayjeremy said:
Hi everyone:
I am a potential customer of this 2012 terrain. I did a lot of research on this vehicle, and I really like both exterior and interior they provided. But I am also kinda of freak out by the engine issue that happened on 2010 and 2011 models. I am wondering if there is anybody on this forum who have a 2012 model could share their opinions/related issues to help me out here ???. If you have other issues, please let me know too. So I can make a decision to order it or not.
I am only considering I4 because of their advertised MPG and the area I lived in eat more gas than average.
BTW, is there any huge differences between SLT-1 and SLT-2? Why people are saying to get a SLT-2 instead of SLT-1.
I was just on You Tube and there was a post of a 2012 i4 making the dreaded startup noise. Also don't be to upset if the mpg is not close to sticker.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Big Q said:
I was just on You Tube and there was a post of a 2012 i4 making the dreaded startup noise. Also don't be to upset if the mpg is not close to sticker.
You really need to get a life. How much time do you plan on investing in a car you traded in. If Honda's are so great why don't they come with a year of free counseling for former GM owners?

·
Registered
368 Posts
The Big Q said:
Are you referring to "2012 Chevrolet Equinox start up" posted on YouTube by CrashTestUmpire?

·
Registered
472 Posts
The Big Q said:
How about a link to it?

The '12 has a different engine it is no longer a LAF it is a LEA. Different compression and flex fuel.

The LAF(2010-2011) is a direct injected 2.4 L. It uses technology based on GM’s other four-cylinder direct injection applications, but with unique features designed for its specific application. This includes an 11.4:1 compression ratio that helps build power, slightly dished pistons that increase combustion efficiency and injectors with an application-specific flow rate.

The LEA(2012-?) is similar to the LE9, with E85 capability and the same bore and stroke, but with a compression ratio of 11.2:1. It adds direct injection and electronic throttle control. The LE9 is an E85 compatible version of the 2.4 L—2,384 cc (145.5 cu in)—LE5 Ecotec. Bore and stroke are 88 mm (3.5 in) and 98 mm (3.9 in) and has a compression ratio of 10.4:1, the same as the LE5

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/VehicleEngines/PowertrainProducts.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine

·
Registered
949 Posts
Oh, I seriously hope this is just a posting mistake on youtube...

The video that is titled as a 2012 is this one...

2012 Chevrolet Equinox start up

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks/sounds almost identical to this prior posting, that was a 2011.. It sounds a little different but the video itself looks almost identical. Could someone reloaded a poorer quality version of it or something?

2011 Chevy Equinox 2.4 start up noise

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Play them at the same time...I think they are the exact same video, but one is just labeled to be a 2012, but it's REALLY a 2011.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Until GM straps on a turbo for the Terrains I4, its always going to lack the hp and more importanly the torque required to try and reach GM's advertised mpg rating. The vehicle is simple to heavy,
You'll get just as good or even better milage with the V6, depending on the position of your foot :eek:
JMO [/color]

·
Registered
365 Posts
OnxBear said:
Until GM straps on a turbo for the Terrains I4, its always going to lack the hp and more importanly the torque required to try and reach GM's advertised mpg rating. The vehicle is simple to heavy,
You'll get just as good or even better milage with the V6, depending on the position of your foot :eek:
JMO [/color]
:thumb:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sumr616 said:
Play them at the same time...I think they are the exact same video, but one is just labeled to be a 2012, but it's REALLY a 2011.
:rock: It sure is must be from one of the 'Never buy a Nox" crowd trying to scare people off.

·
Registered
472 Posts
OnxBear said:
JMO [/color]
I don't totally disagree but you can get the Highway mpg on flat ground minimal wind conditions but the around town (low end mpg rating) is tough to get in areas with lots of start and stop traffic (i.e. bigger cities) with out accelerating very slowly.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
We havent heard any issues, yet on the 2012 I-4 engines..

Im in the process of trading out my 2011 Terrain with rattling startup, engine light, slipping trans..for a 2012..

Do I take a chance the I-4 engine in 2012 is ok??....nope..Im getting the V6.

Plus, Im getting 19-21 MPG....SO no big deal with that...curious to see, with my driving conditions/skills..what I get on the V6(MPG)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts