GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I took delivery of my Cardinal Red 2010 Equinox LS. This is my company car (awesome right). I was more than happy to give the dealership my 2007 Chrysler Town & Country with 90k miles a screaming power steering pump and some other noises I could not identify.

Being that it is a company car, they like to take certain things away from me. Like OnStar and Satellite radio and apparently the roof racks. Now, I have never owned a GM vehicle so while Im sure OnStar is great, I literally don't know what Im missing, but I am Sirius Radio hound. I have the plug and play unit I took out of the van, but I would really like the clean look of factory Satellite Radio like I have in my truck. Well, technically I have an aftermarket Kenwood in the truck, but the point is I don't have a goofy plug and play unit installed in it.

So I'm curious if anyone has been tearing into the dashboard of their new cars yet. What would I need to buy to reinstall SiriusXM in the Equinox? Is it something I can even buy? I'm very electronically inclined, so installation shouldn't be a problem I just need to know where to start. Im fairly certain that the large box like device behind my rear view mirror is the Satellite antenna. If its just a plug in unit I have no problem buying something like that for my company car, Im going to have it for at least 2.5 years I figure, and realistically if we like then as much as we do now, we might opt to buy it and keep it and let it be my sons first car, he will be close to driving then.

Anyways, thanks for any help you folks can provide. So far, I love the car. It rides nice and high, has good pickup for a 4cyl and while it doesn't have epic minivan like storage, its not a dam minivan and that accounts for so much awesomeness.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'd call the dealer and see if you can get the stock radio activated for satellite radio first.
Not sure, but maybe they're already SiriusXM capable?
Other than that, you'd need the wiring harness connector pin outs, of course, and a bezel to make it look like a clean install.
Maybe a local car audio shop can get you started if the dealer can't?
I'd even call SiriusXM for some advice.
Ideally it would be nice, IMO, whatever you do, to integrate it with the steering wheel controls.
Just some ideas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No steering wheel mounted audio controls at all in my LS actually. I was hoping that maybe it just needs like the tuner to be installed to activate it. Ill have to do more digging.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
SnowItch said:
[size=10pt]I, and several other people, on several different forums, have been trying to determine who makes the head unit.[/size][/color] Pioneer definitely makes the speakers and digital signal processor (DSP), but I'm not 100% sure they make the head unit. If they do, then there probably is a module you can just plug in.

A few months ago, I did attempt to figure out how to dismantle the dashboard to get to the head unit. I wasn't able to figure it out. My favorite source for that type of information (Crutchfield) doesn't have any info on the Nox yet. My favorite sales guy for Cruthfield has told me he'll give ma a deal on upgrades if I want to take it down to Charlottesville (about 2 hours) on a weekday and let their installers take it apart (I get the deal for giving them the vehicle to work on). I haven't had the day, and I can't afford upgrades right now, but I might take them up on it in the spring.
Is it possible that Delco makes the head unit?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
SnowItch said:
I just got an e-mail from XM asking me to come back (I cancelled the service on a couple of stand-alone units and activated it on my Nox). They are being very aggressive with their pricing, so now would be a could time to call and talk them into a better long term deal (they do have authority to deal, and if you don't get the price you want, just ask for a supervisor).

I had a good chuckle this morning too. The same e-mail had a blurb about adding the "Best of Sirius" to my XM radio which included "The Playboy channel". Maybe it was always about the articles...[/color]
Now that's funny!
Who knows?
Maybe the head DSP can decode some "hidden video" sat signals SiriusXM is transmitting as well?
Then we'd have to install LockPik systems, or keep it in park for a few minutes!
LOL!
The wife would question why we spent so much time in the garage or going around the block to "check something out".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts