GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Question about battery and alternator

Tags
equiinox
7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  buickanddeere 
#1 ·
Got a question:

We got a 2011 equinox. Other day my wife was driving to work. She stopped at a store and when she got back in the car and started driving she got a warning on the dash that read "Service charging system". She made it to work. I went and looked at it and the car did start but then when I tried to start it again it did not but lights and everything stayed on. Today I went back to to mess with it and it started right away. I left it running while I checked the battery with a meter. It read 12-13. I couldn't get to the alternator to test it. I turned it off and tested the battery it said around 10. Then when I went to start it again it clicked and didn't start but all lights stayed on. I kept trying after messing with connections and such. Didn't unplug anything and eventually nothing stayed on couldn't even lock it with the remote which eventually it had just enough to let me lock it. Before dyeing the dash started telling me to service the stabilitrak and service power steering. I'm not a pro with the meter. Was thinking about popping the battery out and taking it up to AutoZone to get tested then I know if its good then its the alternator which sucks because We just had it replaced a year and a half ago. Thanks.

#3 ·
If your battery showed about 10 volts its very low or bad.
If you have a battery charger, try charging the battery for 4 to 5 hours then take it to Auto Zone for a load test.
I have a feeling you have a bad battery.

#4 ·
seems you allready got to terminals, but for others...
youll have to access the battery.
Either you have acid leak- and battery posts are all crudded up (youll have to give them a good cleaning) or
the battery has suddenly failed.

#6 ·
Got it out this afternoon and took it to AutoZone. They are gonna charge it and then run a test. They said when they first connected it the battery was only at 32%. That is just after unlocking it and opening the door, popping the hood, and the overhead lights being on several times from opening the doors to get tools from the toolbox. Didn't try to start it or anything.

#9 ·
Well I lied. I drove it home yesterday after replacing the battery and all seemed well. My wife drove it to work and halfway there the "service charge system" notification came on the dash and went off but no battery light. On her way home that same notification came on. I went out to look at it and I couldn't get it to come on even drove it around in circles once. Could it be the alternator after all?

#10 ·
To Check the Alternator. Make Sure "Battery" is Charged First * Don't Ever Charge a Battery More Than (2) Amps @ a Time & No More Than an (8) Hour Charge @ (2) Amps...... Then With Charged Battery. Start Vehicle. Put Voltmeter on Red Plastic Capped Terminal Then to Neg. Side Battery. (or) Top of Ground Post.... Then Turn On All Lights, Heaters Everything You Can Think of Electrically to Load Up the System & Voltmeter Should Jump up to Like 14 Volts. ** (If) Battery is Not "Completely" Charge. Alternator May Kick in Immediately. So......Check Battery Voltage With Engine Off First..... Then Check With Engine Running. Voltage Should Be Around 14Volts With System Loaded Up. Also, Could Be a "Bad" Ground. From Battery to Engine Block..... But Hard to Say. Good Luck! Let Us Know How it Goes.

#11 ·
Idk why but something on the vehicle (2011 Chevy Equinox 2.4L) is killing the voltage regulators.... I had whining in my speakers from a bad voltage regulator that also killed my battery, and now I'm slowly getting the whining back in the speakers....
If you find the problem please let me know, and if I find anything else out I'll be sure to post it....
UPDATE: I am in the process of COMPLETELY rebuilding mine, 2011 Chevy Equinox LS 2.4L FWD.

#12 ·
Idk why but something on the vehicle (2011 Chevy Equinox 2.4L) is killing the voltage regulators
The voltage regulator for the alternator is located in the Engine Control Module.
You might have another problem.
You mentioned whining in the speakers, is your system stock or have you changed something??

#13 ·
Thank you for saying that, everyone thinks I'm crazy when I tell them that, lol....
But I do question that there is one inside the alternator though from what I was being told (but I questioned that and done a lil research for myself) while shopping for a new alternator and or voltage regulator....
And it's funny you say that since you also commented on my last post about the 5 volt reference issue/concern here lately.

#14 ·
Bad diode in the alternator.
Only use new ones when replacing it. Remans fail like that all time or surely will. Remans just get tested and reused if they pass a test when rebuilt.
A bad diode will create electronic ''noise'' in the system and create weird issues. Diodes turn the AC voltage from the alternator into DC voltage, a bad diode will let AC into the system creating the whine.

Reactions: jnde207
#16 ·
Good advice but be a little bit careful.
If you go to the parts counter and ask for the higher output alternator, you might wind up with one for the 2.0L or 3.6L.
You will realize it when you install it, the mounting bolt holes will not line up.
Been there done that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.