GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I began having the rough start after fueling up thing so I replaced the purge valve ( PV479 ). It fixed the issue I was having but I'm sure something is wrong because the ticking is annoyingly loud. And ideas ?

2014 GMC Terrain slt2 v6

·
Registered
2011 GMC TERRAIN SLT-2 3.0L V6 (LF1)
31 Posts
In for the answer as well... I dont mean to hijack the thread.

Mine didnt have a refueling issue or a code but replaced the old one due to the loudness with a new gm replacement and its still ticking (or flapping) loud as well, no change. I can hear it inside the vehicle also.
It sounds more like a flap flap flap flap to my ears.
While idling I can hear gurgling when I remove the gas cap, does yours do that too?
Weird thing is sometimes it doesn't make any noise at all.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
My 2014 3.6L goes through the clicking and ticking once in a while to.
Everything works fine, only notice gurgling when filling tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In for the answer as well... I dont mean to hijack the thread.

Mine didnt have a refueling issue or a code but replaced the old one due to the loudness with a new gm replacement and its still ticking (or flapping) loud as well, no change. I can hear it inside the vehicle also.
It sounds more like a flap flap flap flap to my ears.
While idling I can hear gurgling when I remove the gas cap, does yours do that too?
Weird thing is sometimes it doesn't make any noise at all.

I don't hear anything other then the clicking

·
Registered
858 Posts
Did you use a AC Delco valve or aftermarket ? There is a difference between makers.

·
Registered
385 Posts
When I replaced mine I bought the Duralast boxed part at AutoZone. Inside the box was a bosch manufactured part that was identical to the OEM part that failed. GM seems to be using bosch for the purge valves on the 3.6 (at least they did on my 2015.)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I hear the ticking also 3.6. Sometimes louder than others. Don't have the other issue.

2014 Terrain SLE-2 /Silver Sky Metallic / 3.6 L V6 / AWD / Pioneer Stereo / 85,000 miles as of January 2020

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I began having the rough start after fueling up thing so I replaced the purge valve ( PV479 ). It fixed the issue I was having but I'm sure something is wrong because the ticking is annoyingly loud. And ideas ?

2014 GMC Terrain slt2 v6
Just to be clear here, some owners refer to the purge valve and the purge valve solenoid as the same thing.
You are refering to the component mounted next to the throttle body, right?

·
Registered
2011 GMC TERRAIN SLT-2 3.0L V6 (LF1)
31 Posts
In my case I am referring to the purge valve/ solenoid located next to the throttle body.
A noisy little bugger sometimes.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
That sound sounds similar to my 2011 V6 (3.0L). I describe my noise as sounding like “a helicopter off in the distance”

I replaced my Purge Solenoid Valve ($35) about 5 years ago when it threw a code. No problems since...

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
theres a few videos of noisy purge valves on youtube.
The part next to the throttle body (on the 3.6 in Traverse and similar).
they do get really noisy if they fail that way.
usually they fail on the acadia/traverse/enclave- and its hard to start after you refuel

·
Registered
2011 Chevy Equinox 2.4L (LAF) LS FWD
39 Posts

2014 GMC Terrain slt2 v6
Have you checked your long term fuel trim?
I'm curious as to if it's running rich, sounds like symptoms I'm having but the purge and vent valve did nothing after replacement....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts