GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Purchased my 2010 LTZ yesterday - a few questions...

11K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  cscott 
#1 ·
Hey gang! Brand new member here with a "new" (to me and my family) vehicle! I attached a picture at the end of this post.

2010 Equinox LTZ, AWD, 6-cylinder
Navigation with HDD and RSE dual DVD-players/monitors/headphones/remote
Remote start, sunroof, backup camera, heated leather, memory seats, towing pkg.
I think it's got every option available, except maybe engine block heater? Not sure how to check the options.

A few quick questions I have for y'all:

1) Any way to use the OnStar RemoteLink mobile app I've seen advertised on my 2010 LTZ?

2) The "remote key memory seat" function was disabled on my Nav screen. What does it do? The owner's manual wasn't clear. My wife and I have already set our "1" and "2" presets.

3) I've paired bluetooth with my iPhone 3GS (iOS 5.0.1) and can dial a phone # if I know the digits from the Nav screen. The Bluetooth setting on my iPhone says to "sync contacts" but I'm not seeing them on the Nav screen. Nor can I say "Call Ashley" or "Dial Somebody". Is that normal?

4) XM channels (all of them) currently work for me. I didn't sign up for it or even look at my XM Radio ID. Can I find out how much longer it'll last (I assume the previous owner pre-paid)? Or is that dumb (XM might cancel the service immediately)?

5) Any way to update the map other than ordering the GM Nav Disc (part #20977834) from GM @ $199.99? My neighborhood is new construction and isn't on the map.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

- Mitchell (McFly)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
welcome to the forum!! congrats on the new vehicle!

I can try to answer number 4 for you...Im going to guess the other owner forgot to switch or turn off the XM service, or just left it..or its possible that he did do that and XM didnt switch it off,which means you could have it for a while!

I know others who had it turned off, and the service still stayed on and they were not billed..

#5 ·
For number 3 - "I've paired bluetooth with my iPhone 3GS (iOS 5.0.1) and can dial a phone # if I know the digits from the Nav screen. The Bluetooth setting on my iPhone says to "sync contacts" but I'm not seeing them on the Nav screen. Nor can I say "Call Ashley" or "Dial Somebody". Is that normal?"

I have the 2011, but it should be alike - I can say "Call . . " followed by the persons name exactly as it appears in my cell phone listing.

#6 ·
I had a 2010 with nav. I could not sync contacts or phone books. I had to program the the car with names and numbers.

I think the command was "store". After saying " hands free".

#7 ·
Mitchell,

I would be happy to help answer some of your questions.

1. I would recommend contacting OnStar directly for more information on the app at 888-466-7827.

2. Entry using the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter with the remote recall feature on automatically adjusts the seat and mirrors. There is no adjustment when the position has not been changed by another seating position. When the remote recall feature is on, the seat and mirror position will be stored when the ignition is turned to OFF. It is stored according to the RKE transmitter used to start the vehicle. This can also be found on page 2-5 of your owner's manual.

3. I would agree that name tags can be stored. This process is outlined starting on page 6-48 of your owner's manual.

4. I would have to agree that it is likely that this was left on from a previous owner. You can contact XM Radio Listener Care at 1-800-852-XMXM (9696) for more information.

5. Finally, I would recommend contacting GM Navigation Support for more information on navigation discs at 1-877-NAV-DISC (1-877-628-3472). The hours of operation are Mon.-Fri. 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM EST.

Please feel free to contact me directly with further questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service

#8 ·
Thank you all for the quick replies!!! Looks like I'm SOL on the OnStar "MyLink" app and syncing contact lists on my 2010. I'll live. I'm going to leave well enough alone with the XM... until it gets cancelled. At least I can update my Nav maps through NAV-DISC. :)

#9 ·
#2 above, seat adjustment via RKE doesn't work correctly on my 2011 Equinox. As I understand the information, the seat/mirror position should be stored when the ignition is turned off. On my Equinox, it isn't. When I press unlock, the seat moves a little bit, but not to the position I left the seat. I can't find any TSB on this issue, so I'll like just pull the battery for a while to reset everything. Anything else I can try myself before taking it to the dealer?

#10 ·
RKE comes from the factory with two FOBs. GM used to number them 1 and 2 on the back. You would set #1 for the first driver by adjusting the seat and mirrors and pushing the #1 memory switch in the car. RKE #1 would then set to #1 memory anytime it was used.

#2 RKE would be set the same way for the other driver, only this time using memory switch #2 to save the settings.

Now thrown into the mix is the fact the memory seats can be set to exit which puts the seat all the way back or to memory position. Apparently also from the OP post, the RKE can also be turned off by use of the DIC.

Make sure you have the RKE and memory set for the correct driver and set for the memory position, not for the exit position.

#11 ·
My fobs are not identified with a number. I know the style your thinking off. I have another, older, GM vehicle that has IDs on the fob. From other research, I've found that this generation of Equinox (theta) doesn't associate the seat preset with the remote. i.e. the 2 presets on the seats are completely independent of the fob. This was done to allow more than 2 saved seating positions on the fobs.

#12 ·
On my wife's 2011 Equinox..my wife's fob adjusts the seat to how her's is set....and my fob adjusts to my seating postition. We 'set' the fobs shortly after bringing the Equinox home in August of 2010...and haven't touched the setting since. I unlock the door with my fob...and the seat automatically adjusts for me. If I mistakenly grab her keys and unlock the door..the driver's seat goes to how her's is set.
However..if I exit the car without locking it..and later get back in...the seat won't move until I either get out and lock then unlock door with my fob....or push #2 button on the side of drivers seat to return it to my driving position.

Each key/fob is 'set' to its own individual position.

#13 ·
On question 3:

You can use the bluetooth connection to originate a call:

+ Put you phone numbers in the Onstar/Bluetooth directory and you can
voice dial

or

+ Press the phone button on the center of the radio and you can have
your contacts and call lists loaded to the radio and you dial from the
screen. It is not voice dialing but it keeps you from having copying
maybe hundreds of phone numbers. The loading will be done each time
you start the car and use the feature.

#14 ·
As for #5...
That's the biggest reason (other than the cost of the unit itself) why I didn't want the onboard nav system even though I liked the way it was integrated. It's basically more than the cost of a good standalone nav for updated maps...that may not be as up to date as you would like. You can get a good Garmin unit for under $200 with the first updated map free...and then much less (I think around $30-$40) thereafter for updated maps.

#15 ·
IceMan said:
On my wife's 2011 Equinox..my wife's fob adjusts the seat to how her's is set....and my fob adjusts to my seating postition. We 'set' the fobs shortly after bringing the Equinox home in August of 2010...and haven't touched the setting since. I unlock the door with my fob...and the seat automatically adjusts for me. If I mistakenly grab her keys and unlock the door..the driver's seat goes to how her's is set.
However..if I exit the car without locking it..and later get back in...the seat won't move until I either get out and lock then unlock door with my fob....or push #2 button on the side of drivers seat to return it to my driving position.

Each key/fob is 'set' to its own individual position.
Oh, that must be it. The typical scenario I run into is coming out to garage after wife has driven it. When I press unlock on the remote, the sit doesn't move. However, the door is already unlocked. Sounds like in order for this to work, she needs to lock the door with her remote? Or can I lock and unlock it with mine?

#16 ·
cscott said:
Oh, that must be it. The typical scenario I run into is coming out to garage after wife has driven it. When I press unlock on the remote, the sit doesn't move. However, the door is already unlocked. Sounds like in order for this to work, she needs to lock the door with her remote? Or can I lock and unlock it with mine?
With mine, wife can park in the garage without locking the car, and then when I want to use it, I just press unlock (even though it is not locked), and when I open the driver's door, the seat will move to my desired position. No need for us to lock the car - but we have to unlock it to get the seat to move.

#17 ·
cscott said:
#2 above, seat adjustment via RKE doesn't work correctly on my 2011 Equinox. As I understand the information, the seat/mirror position should be stored when the ignition is turned off. On my Equinox, it isn't. When I press unlock, the seat moves a little bit, but not to the position I left the seat. I can't find any TSB on this issue, so I'll like just pull the battery for a while to reset everything. Anything else I can try myself before taking it to the dealer?
I would be happy to look into this for you as well with the last eight of your VIN. Please feel free to contact me for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

#18 ·
RIT333 said:
With mine, wife can park in the garage without locking the car, and then when I want to use it, I just press unlock (even though it is not locked), and when I open the driver's door, the seat will move to my desired position. No need for us to lock the car - but we have to unlock it to get the seat to move.
Hey yeah..never tried that. Just press 'unlock'..! As long as you have 'your' fob (and it is 'set' to your seat positioning)..it would work for sure...and the seat would move to where it is supposed to be for you. Good to know!
Thanks

#19 ·
cscott said:
Just got my Nox back from the service department. There's a TSB on this, but I don't know the details. Sounds like they basically update the firmware on the seat position module. The update seems to have the problem. I described the problem as being related to time. e.g. The fob will hold the seat position for short period of time, however the next day it's lost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.