GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know exactly what this is? I went in to dealer for oil change and tire rotation (6,500K miles now) and I noticed on the receipt when I arrived home that they also did something called "Protex 6k service kit". By the time I arrived home dealer was closed when I called to inquire. What is it?? Thanks..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Snake oil that the dealer added to your crankcase and charged you extra for.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Solrak69 said:
Anyone know exactly what this is? I went in to dealer for oil change and tire rotation (6,500K miles now) and I noticed on the receipt when I arrived home that they also did something called "Protex 6k service kit". By the time I arrived home dealer was closed when I called to inquire. What is it?? Thanks..
Google is your friend...

>>>CLICK HERE - It's made by Bardahl - CLICK HERE<<<

dishdude said:
Snake oil that the dealer added to your crankcase and charged extra you for.
X 2 may even have involved more than just the crankcase - what a rip off either way - they should have asked first..."just sign here sir" :banghead:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Solrak69 said:
Was there an extra cost for this "service"? Maybe the dealer includes it as part of an oil change?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I would be very very unhappy and wary of a dealer that puts any kind of oil additives in my crankcase without me requesting it......extra charge or otherwise. Also, why would you rotate your tires at only 6500 miles?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking it was included by my dealer because I was only charged for normal oil change + tire rotation. I rotate tires every 6-7K.

jstpsntym said:
Was there an extra cost for this "service"? Maybe the dealer includes it as part of an oil change?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Solrak69 said:
I'm thinking it was included...
I don't see how unless you are used to paying a lot for LOF/Rotation...so...no disrespect intended...but, it BEGS the question...how much did you pay?

and please state USD or Canadian (I'm guessing in the $150 USD range with the additives)

30 years ago when I was writing Service for New Car Dealers, we had "Spiff" programs.
A supplier would offer to sell the Dealership "snake oil" stuff. The Dealer made a hefty profit from the sale of this crap...and we Service Advisors got a $10 spiff for each package we were able to sell. Some package Spiffs paid more...much more. The cost to the customer was out of line but it covered the mark-up and our spiff. Spiffs pretty much came to an end in the late '90's and by and large Service Departments at Dealerships have cleaned up their act.

But with all due respect...
it sounds to me like this Dealers Service Department is still playing 'ol Skool :banghead:

Caveat emptor​

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
USD$150 for an oil change/tire rotation?? That's crazy, no way... I paid USD$45 for both, dealer emailed me a $5 off coupon that I printed out..

MOCHANOX said:
I don't see how unless you are used to paying a lot for LOF/Rotation...so...no disrespect intended...but, it BEGS the question...how much did you pay?

and please state USD or Canadian (I'm guessing in the $150 USD range with the additives)

30 years ago when I was writing Service for New Car Dealers, we had "Spiff" programs.
A supplier would offer to sell the Dealership "snake oil" stuff. The Dealer made a hefty profit from the sale of this crap...and we Service Advisors got a $10 spiff for each package we were able to sell. Some package Spiffs paid more...much more. The cost to the customer was out of line but it covered the mark-up and our spiff. Spiffs pretty much came to an end in the late '90's and by and large Service Departments at Dealerships have cleaned up their act.

But with all due respect...
it sounds to me like this Dealers Service Department is still playing 'ol Skool :banghead:

Caveat emptor​

·
Registered
978 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Solrak69 said:
USD$150 for an oil change/tire rotation?? That's crazy, no way... I paid USD$45 for both, dealer emailed me a $5 off coupon that I printed out..
That is not bad for an ~ everyday price for a dealer oil change/tire rotation. I am sure that the dealer is still marking up their price a little to add this additional "service"...nothing is ever free. ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
If your dealer participates in the GM Certified Service (was GM Goodwrench) program - there is a price of $39.95 or less (+ tax) for oil change, 4 tire rotation, and 27 point inspection through the end of the year. It includes whatever oil is specified in owners manual (such as Dexos).

If you want to see what the current offers are at any time - go to http://www.mycertifiedservice.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
In order to be sure what this is for and what you were charged for, I would recommend conacting the dealership. They are the best place to get this informtion. Please feel free to keep me posted.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I called my dealer today to follow up on the Protex service kit that was done this past Saturday. Spoke with the service manager, informed me that I should have been told that it's an "optional" service and not required. I told him I was never given that option, that my billed showed it after the fact, apparently given a discount for it too. He apologized, said he was off for the holiday weekend, his dept short staffed so one of the sales managers was running the service dept half-day. He issued me back a credit of a several bucks and confirmed my price for oil change/tire rotation would reflect $34.95 + tax. I'm happy and will return to them in the future..

Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
In order to be sure what this is for and what you were charged for, I would recommend conacting the dealership. They are the best place to get this informtion. Please feel free to keep me posted.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts