GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been experiencing difficulty shifting out of PARK. Yes I have my foot on the brake, but the grar shift lever just doesn't want to move and I don't want to force anything. If I play with it I can finally get it to shift into reverse/drive. Anyone have a similar issue?

·
Registered
10,113 Posts
No probs here. There used to be a way to prevent that on the console, sort of an interlock-release, but I don't see one on the Equinox.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try applying the emergency break before you put the vehicle into park each time.
Allow the vehicle to be supported by the emergency breaks (release the break peddal) before shifting the vehicle into park.
This will allow the pressure to be removed off the transmission, and it will keep your emergency breaks from ever ceasing up.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Is it parked an a slight incline? Nothing crazy but very slight.

I had this problem with my acadia towards the end.

Once I was on a slight incline and the next I was in my garage.

I just rocked the car back and forth using the door pillar. Very slight movement but whatever I did loosened up the pressure and it shifte dout of park.

I agree with using the ebrake at all times.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's happened on a flat surface (my garage, parking lot) and a small incline. Yes I've used the emergency brake to assist shifting on an incline. Just doesn't want to shift out of park. And it's becoming a more frequest happening. I'm taking it to the dealership this afternoon. Thanks all for the input!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Last time I saw this it was on a Honda. Just an alignment problem with the shift lever. Easy to fix at the dealership.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out that all it needed was a BCM update. After my vehicle purchase my dealer installed a GM trailer hitch with wiring. The BCM update effects the brake pressure thats applied to the brake pedal. This somehow got screwed up and was effecting the shifting out of the park position. With a new update it shifts easily once again. Kind of a weird deal but the vehicle is working great once again. 28 MPG last tank!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good question Snowitch. A concern I have is that when my hitch was installed the update was supposed to have been done. But two weeks later things go haywire and other problems arise. It needed to be updated again. HMMMMM. That's electronics I guess. I've got my fingers crossed that this was the end of it...I hope.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts