GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think l found a cheap and good way to fix the risk of popping out the rear main seal. I took a oil filler tube and cap from a uplander and l took a one way valve from another equinox. I modified the oil cap to accept the one way valve so the crankcase is not able to buildup pressure but maintains a negative pressure. I used epoxy and drilled a hole right threw the center of the cap with a drill bit slightly larger than a 3/8 bit and l pushed the valve into the hole and epoxy it .the valve is super easy to blow through. Like 1psi and it is one way and is responsible diameter to vent any pressure if the PVC system freezes up let me know what you guys think. Thanks l have pictures attached.
Hood Automotive tire Grey Automotive lighting Gas
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am sorry to put you down but I think it is ugly. I rather spend few dollars and get the FC219 filler cap (I paid $23.14 CAD). The oil filler cap is also being used to keep the engine cover in place. Looks like your extended filler tube is not doing the same job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think l found a cheap and good way to fix the risk of popping out the rear main seal. I took a oil filler tube and cap from a uplander and l took a one way valve from another equinox. I modified the oil cap to accept the one way valve so the crankcase is not able to buildup pressure but maintains a negative pressure. I used epoxy and drilled a hole right threw the center of the cap with a drill bit slightly larger than a 3/8 bit and l pushed the valve into the hole and epoxy it .the valve is super easy to blow through. Like 1psi and it is one way and is responsible diameter to vent any pressure if the PVC system freezes up let me know what you guys think. Thanks l have pictures attached. View attachment 17997 View attachment 17998
The valve was on the equinox vacuum lines for the brake booster
Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Wire fencing Tar

I am sorry to put you down but I think it is ugly. I rather spend few dollars and get the FC219 filler cap (I paid $23.14 CAD). The oil filler cap is also being used to keep the engine cover in place. Looks like your extended filler tube is not doing the same job.
Yes you are right it does hold the cover in place l will eliminate the extension I just thought maybe the extension would reduce the possibility of oil vapor entering the valve, and yes it is kinda ugly, but the cap you mentioned, a friend of mine bought one and we were not able to blow through it to verify that it would vent apparently it needs 5 psi to release the pressure buildup, did you try and blow through yours,? Thanks for reminding me about the cap holding down the cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you use a oil catch can? If you do would you have a picture of how you installed it. I have a 2015 equinox with 96,000km and I live in sudbury area and it gets 25 below here all the time. My vehicle runs great and uses no oil. But after reading about rear main seal issue and carbon buildup l was really concerned.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The valve was on the equinox vacuum lines for the brake booster View attachment 17999

Yes you are right it does hold the cover in place l will eliminate the extension I just thought maybe the extension would reduce the possibility of oil vapor entering the valve, and yes it is kinda ugly, but the cap you mentioned, a friend of mine bought one and we were not able to blow through it to verify that it would vent apparently it needs 5 psi to release the pressure buildup, did you try and blow through yours,? Thanks for reminding me about the cap holding down the cover.
Did your friend got a fake one? The real McCoy has a vent hole at the bottom. First thing I did after I got it in the mail was trying to blow through it and it works as advertised. Found out my 09 Torrent has the same filler cap from the factory. Enclosed is a picture of the bottom side.

Baked goods Gas Electric blue Automotive lighting Circle

·
Registered
129 Posts
FWIW...my 04 Vue with the 2.2 came from the factory with that same vented oil cap as well.

Reactions: Scorpion

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW...my 04 Vue with the 2.2 came from the factory with that same vented oil cap as well.
Okay thanks I will buy one. Well worth it. My 2.4 runs great. I know these can be good Motors if you take care of the known issues. Did you install a catch can?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Okay thanks I will buy one. Well worth it. My 2.4 runs great. I know these can be good Motors if you take care of the known issues. Did you install a catch can?
I didn't have a catch can on it...I could tell when the cap would vent as you could smell it in the car. Burned a decent amount of oil for a long time but still ran great when I got rid of it around 175000 miles. The original clutch was about ready to go at that point too so seemed like a good time to get rid of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't have a catch can on it...I could tell when the cap would vent as you could smell it in the car. Burned a decent amount of oil for a long time but still ran great when I got rid of it around 175000 miles. The original clutch was about ready to go at that point too so seemed like a good time to get rid of it.
Wow you put lots of miles on your vehicles, l have 96,000km on my 2.4L 2015 equinox. Thanks for sharing your information. It runs great burns zero oil great power (for a 2.4L) it gets really cold here in Sudbury, after hearing about this pressure issue, l don't want to become a victim of a blown rear seal 🙄

·
Registered
418 Posts
Scorpion, you're using your head getting ahead of this potential rear seal blowout problem at this time. From what I've seen the PCV pathway can be clogged at around 70k miles (115k kilometers) or even earlier, so kudos!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Wow you put lots of miles on your vehicles, l have 96,000km on my 2.4L 2015 equinox. Thanks for sharing your information. It runs great burns zero oil great power (for a 2.4L) it gets really cold here in Sudbury, after hearing about this pressure issue, l don't want to become a victim of a blown rear seal 🙄
You may want/have to check that oil cap valve quite often in very cold winter temps. It may build up the characteristic "yellow goop" oil-water emulsion. That can then freeze and not allow any vapor flow.

Otherwise, good idea. A lot like was recommended several times in other threads here regarding PCV freezing and main seal blow out.

Reactions: Scorpion
1 - 12 of 12 Posts