GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let my Equinox sit too long I'm guessing, now it won't start. The brake pedal is so stiff though, like I need to use two legs to push it down and I don't know if I'm even pushing it far enough down like that, as it still says on the dash display to press the brake to start. I'd say every 1 out of 10 times it also showed a message about the battery being low.

Battery appears to be at 11v i think based on the trickle charger reading, even hooked it up to the 2amp trickle charger until that said it was fully charged.

Any tips on the brake pedal situation so hopefully I can get this started and let it run for a while?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Battery appears to be at 11v i think based on the trickle charger reading, even hooked it up to the 2amp trickle charger until that said it was fully charged.
Do you have a volt meter to check your battery with?
After charging it for several hours take the charger off and check the voltage, it should read 12.4 to 12.8 volts.
My guess is you have a bad battery, it's too low to allow the brake switch to function.
What year is your vehicle?

Reactions: xevumauk and RIT333

·
Registered
115 Posts
Let my Equinox sit too long I'm guessing, now it won't start. The brake pedal is so stiff though, like I need to use two legs to push it down and I don't know if I'm even pushing it far enough down like that, as it still says on the dash display to press the brake to start. I'd say every 1 out of 10 times it also showed a message about the battery being low.

Any tips on the brake pedal situation so hopefully I can get this started and let it run for a while?
Will it start with the key fob or OnStar app?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 2019. I tried the remote start from the key fob with the hood up too, I could hear some noises like "something" was happening but it never actually started.

·
Registered
975 Posts
It will not remote start with the hood open either with the fob or OnStar app. That's a safety override built into the vehicle.
I'll second the bad battery. At 11v no load, the key on and brake lights on when trying to start are just killing any power left in the battery.

Reactions: xevumauk

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
...you haven’t attempted to jump start from another vehicle yet to see what happens?

·
Registered
115 Posts
...you haven’t attempted to jump start from another vehicle yet to see what happens?
I think he has, which is why the hood is open. But he can't push the brake pedal enough.

If the battery is good, leaving the jumper cables connected for fifteen minutes or so should bring the charge up enough to start the car with a remote and the hood closed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It will not remote start with the hood open either with the fob or OnStar app. That's a safety override built into the vehicle.
I'll second the bad battery. At 11v no load, the key on and brake lights on when trying to start are just killing any power left in the battery.
I feel so stupid, I didn't know that! 😂 Maybe I should try all that again but this time with the hood down do you think?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think he has, which is why the hood is open. But he can't push the brake pedal enough.

If the battery is good, leaving the jumper cables connected for fifteen minutes or so should bring the charge up enough to start the car with a remote and the hood closed.
Right, the brake pedal won't go down enough I guess, and I mean I pushed hard, used both legs too.
I still have that trickle charger, should I let it charge through that first before trying to jump again? And you're saying leaving it hooked up to the jumper cables for 15 minutes, then disconnect, close the hood, then try to remote start, correct? Just double checking so I don't do something stupid again.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Either works, the trickle charger for several hours or jumping it for fifteen minutes or so. I think each cell in the battery is 2.1 volts when charged so 2.1 * 6 = 12.6 volts. If you let it trickle charge for hours, and the trickle charger can deliver some amps, then the battery should be close to 12.6 volts at the end of the charging cycle with the trickle charger disconnected.

Just opening the door on my 2020 fires up a bunch of stuff and pulls about 8 amps out of the battery. After the door is closed (and I did nothing but open the door), the discharge tapers off after about twenty seconds.

Unless you connect the trickle charger or the jumper cables up backwards, or accidentally short circuit something to the chassis, you won't fry anything.

·
Registered
975 Posts
2x on a fully charged healthy battery being at 12.6v .
If overnight on a 2amp charger doesn't bring it up and start it then that battery is shot.

·
Registered
115 Posts
2x on a fully charged healthy battery being at 12.6v .
If overnight on a 2amp charger doesn't bring it up and start it then that battery is shot.
Agreed.

Depending on the actual car build date, the OP's 2019 model year Equinox AGM battery could be three years old or more and I always replace car batteries around four years of age because we live in a wintry climate.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
...so I went and visited my parents this weekend and my car sat in their driveway from Thurs night until Sun afternoon. When I went to get in, brake pedal was hard as a rock and wouldn’t budge. My battery is less than 2 months old and it started with no issues...

·
Registered
115 Posts
That could just be a difference between the 2015 and the 2019 due to the 2018 redesign for the next Equinox "generation". Does the 2015 have pushbutton start or does it still use a key?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That could just be a difference between the 2015 and the 2019 due to the 2018 redesign for the next Equinox "generation". Does the 2015 have pushbutton start or does it still use a key?
Oh it’s old school! I have to actually put a key in the ignition and turn it 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
...so I went and visited my parents this weekend and my car sat in their driveway from Thurs night until Sun afternoon. When I went to get in, brake pedal was hard as a rock and wouldn’t budge. My battery is less than 2 months old and it started with no issues...
Were you parked on a slight incline?
Possible Hill Start Assist issue?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Were you parked on a slight incline?
Possible Hill Start Assist issue?
My parent’s driveway is a MASSIVE incline! I always back in with my nose pointing down the hill...

I didn’t have any issues, I was just pointing out it started without the brake pedal moving until the motor started...

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don’t believe this is entirely true. Every time I have remote started my car from the fob with the hood open it starts the car and then runs for a couple of seconds before turning the car off. It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me from a safety perspective but this should have given the OP enough of an opportunity to figure out if it would start from the fob or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, mine is push button start. I'll try the trickle charger this weekend then jump for 15 minutes, then close the hood, and see if remote start works. Let me know if that's incorrect.
I'll post back once I try it, thanks everybody.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts