GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Wife and I just bought a 2011 Equinox. In trying to evaluate this "Premium Sound System" it seems like the high end or treble is almost not even there. Yes I tried adjusting the tone controls quite a bit. I am an audio buff from many years ago and know what I am hearing. I have a 2001 PT Cruiser and it actually has one of the tweeters or high range speaker out and still sounds much better than the Equinox.

My guess is the stereo is defective or the wrong one is installed. I payed $850+ for this "premium" sound system.
Not impressed.

..AR

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
Go to the dealer and listen to another with the same stereo to compare.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Also check the speed compensated volume setting. That has a big effect while you're driving. I settled on manual tone setting (no eq curve) with high at -1, mid at -1, bass at 0, and speed comp volume at med. volume typically 12 to 15 depending on source. And yes, check another one at the dealership to compare. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Good Point Tdog!

That can be irritating if your not familiar with it..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer has no more 2011's. I HAVE played with the tone ane EQ. Settings. I even put the bass low to see what treble I could hear and treble was barely negligible. Everything sounds dull. Using manual tone setting. Taking it to the service department, ready for a runaround. At $856 it's not so "premium" sounding. Again I was/am an avid audiophile and know good or bad sound. This is lacking.

·
Registered
113 Posts
As an audiophile did you really expect that much for about $900? The Pioneer system is better than Bose, but than again, pretty much everything is. I was in the REALLY high end audio/video biz for years and the Pioneer system isn't bad, it's much better than regular "factory". I get to listen to several different exceptional home speakers/systems per month so my ears are still quite well trained. I'd be curious to know what your source material is.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I've seen a couple of complaints here with the Pioneer system. I think they've all been about a speaker buzzing or something. Can't remember for sure, but it was an easy fix relatively speaking, something about a bad connection maybe? or a reprogram? Can't remember, but you can search and find it probably.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I first took delivery of my 2011 Nox i brought it back 4 days later because I swore the Pioneer system didn't sound right. It doesn't seem very loud and crisp as it should be. I even called Pioneer and one of the techs there told me that the pioneer system in the 2011 Nox should "ROCK" as he put it. But mine doesn't. My dealer insists that there is nothing wrong with it.

I wondered if the Noise Cancellation feature (on 4 cyl engines only) has something to do with it but again the dealer insists there is nothing wrong with it. But it just doesn't sound right.

Any help anyone can give us on this would be greatly appreciated as I'm not much of a stereo guy but I know that this pioneer system should sound way better than it does. And the Pioneer TECHIE agreed with me.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I can only input into this discussion that the Pioneer system in our 2010 is one of the best sounding "factory" systems I've ever had in a vehicle. Aftermarket high end stuff is still better of course as is the better Rockford, Bose, etc. systems, but the Pioneer setup is good. The bass is impressive and tight and the mids and highs are crisp, clear and defined. Volume levels can be set quite high with fairly low distortion and it will shake the glass and mirrors.

Are you sure you have adjusted all the settings correctly and also what is your input source. As with most systems the input source is crucial. Radio source will never be as powerful sounding as it is from an iPod or other digital source.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Pioneer system rocks so much it makes the door panels buzz at high volume...It literally shakes the car. I'm a long time musician, and while I've certainly heard better systems, for a stock system, this sounds very good. Treble is there, and it is clear. Bass is solid, although a bit muddy (a higher-end cone would clear it up a lot...hmm, maybe my first mod...).

·
Registered
92 Posts
AraczekAraczek said:
Hi,
Wife and I just bought a 2011 Equinox. In trying to evaluate this "Premium Sound System" it seems like the high end or treble is almost not even there. Yes I tried adjusting the tone controls quite a bit. I am an audio buff from many years ago and know what I am hearing. I have a 2001 PT Cruiser and it actually has one of the tweeters or high range speaker out and still sounds much better than the Equinox.

My guess is the stereo is defective or the wrong one is installed. I payed $850+ for this "premium" sound system.
Not impressed.

..AR
I had not brought this up, but I haven't been happy either. It sounds like all the sound is coming from the dash. It's not very 'surrounding' and very direct. I also noticed that with the balance and fade is set to center (default), the sound seems to be all up front and you can barely hear audio in the back speakers. I haven't had that looked into, but it almost seems like it's defective or not hooked up correctly. I can fade the audio toward the back and turn the audio up louder, but shouldn't the audio be equal from all door speakers? I suspect this has something to do with the lack of clarity. My gf's Flex's upgraded Sony audio blows the Pioneer system away by my ears. The Flex also offers a DSP surround setting that makes all the difference. When it is set to stereo, it sounds very much like the Pioneer in the Nox.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the sound system is great once it is dialed in a bit.

Jake

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jake G said:
I think the sound system is great once it is dialed in a bit.

Jake
Not much to dial in that I can see and I have messed with it a bit (I do realize we all have our own tastes and what we feel sounds good). Does yours sound like all the sound is coming from the front/dash? It has no 'surround' effect at all, being there is rear speakers. I think the rears being low in the door as nearly cut the passage of audio from them, at least to the front seats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I felt there was too much sound coming from the front dash too so I disconected the center speaker that is located on the dash behind the dash storgae bin. Al you have to do is remove the rubber mat in the bin and take out the two screws that hold the bin in place. Once I had acces to the speaker I just unplugged it and left it in place. It immediately improved the stereo imaging of the Pioneer sound system.

·
Registered
193 Posts
aaron0307 said:
I felt there was too much sound coming from the front dash too so I disconected the center speaker that is located on the dash behind the dash storgae bin. Al you have to do is remove the rubber mat in the bin and take out the two screws that hold the bin in place. Once I had acces to the speaker I just unplugged it and left it in place. It immediately improved the stereo imaging of the Pioneer sound system.
I might try this, I like the sound of the stereo system but this speaker does seem to be a bit too loud.

·
Registered
332 Posts
On the Pioneer system the centre speaker is crucial to voice reproduction. The digital amplifier separates frequency ranges and delivers them to the appropriate speaker(s), similar to the 7.1 surround systems in home theatre.

I find that the centre dash speaker reproduces frequencies around 1000 HZ -5000 HZ very well and gives the system a centre stage effect. The highs are handled by the pillar tweeters, the mids and mid bass is handled by the door speakers and of course the low bass by the sub woofer.

When properly adjusted it sounds as good as any higher end system IMO depending on your source and the equalization of that source.

·
Registered
92 Posts
2010Nox said:
On the Pioneer system the centre speaker is crucial to voice reproduction. The digital amplifier separates frequency ranges and delivers them to the appropriate speaker(s), similar to the 7.1 surround systems in home theatre.

I find that the centre dash speaker reproduces frequencies around 1000 HZ -5000 HZ very well and gives the system a centre stage effect. The highs are handled by the pillar tweeters, the mids and mid bass is handled by the door speakers and of course the low bass by the sub woofer.

When properly adjusted it sounds as good as any higher end system IMO depending on your source and the equalization of that source.
Can you give me an example of your input audio source, the type of music you listen to and what settings you are using? I will admit that my hard rock doesn't all sound that great (I listen to music primarily via my iPhone) but an album like Gaucho or Aja from Steely Dan sounds real good. I think the speakers certainly show off different types of genres and others, not so much (at least to my ears).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am the starter of this thread. I had the car to the dealer :banghead: and even though I knew the outcome (blah blah blah)
thought I 'd give it a try. Of course they could not find anything wrong. Just t's me off because as I said I have a 2001 PT Cruiser
Limited Edition, no "premium sound system" and it sounds WAY better than the Equinox. The car is 10 years old. It doesn't have the
bass but that is not a huge selling point to me. Crispness and clarity impress me more than just sticking a subwoofer in a car and
calling it premium and charging close to $900. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can turn my volume all the way up and nothing in my 2011 Nox shakes or rattles. And, as aaron said, when I put the fade all the way to the rear speakers it is not loud at all. I have to put the fade 4 or 5 clicks towards the front speakers for it to sound any good at all. Something is not right on this system. I have used music from a flash drive in the USB port and it is a little better than the radio sound but not that much better. Again, something just isn't right with it.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
barry83 said:
I can turn my volume all the way up and nothing in my 2011 Nox shakes or rattles. And, as aaron said, when I put the fade all the way to the rear speakers it is not loud at all. I have to put the fade 4 or 5 clicks towards the front speakers for it to sound any good at all. Something is not right on this system. I have used music from a flash drive in the USB port and it is a little better than the radio sound but not that much better. Again, something just isn't right with it.
Have you brought your concerns to the attention of your dealer? I would be happy to look into this for you as well on my end with more information. Please feel free to contact me privately with the last eight of your VIN. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts