GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I was wondering about it and none of the sales rep know it too. I have ordered a premium sound but no nav, do I get a big screen like nav and the back-up camera on that screen?
Thanks,

·
Registered
60 Posts
sunnyday said:
Hi Guys,
I was wondering about it and none of the sales rep know it too. I have ordered a premium sound but no nav, do I get a big screen like nav and the back-up camera on that screen?
Thanks,
By premium sound do you mean the DVD player system with rear entertainment system? I'm fairly certain the only way you get the screen in the dash is to have the NAV package. That's the only option stating it has the 7 inch touch screen color interface display.

·
Registered
698 Posts
If you didn't get the navigation system your backup camera image will be displayed in the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scooby24 said:
By premium sound do you mean the DVD player system with rear entertainment system? I'm fairly certain the only way you get the screen in the dash is to have the NAV package. That's the only option stating it has the 7 inch touch screen color interface display.
This is really confusing because according to the specs, the standard sound has 6 spk only but when I test drove yesterday, the demo car was base model and when we open the back door, I saw a subwoofer on passenger seat yet i'm pretty sure that the sound system is base because there are no screen on the back and the head-unit don't have big screen.

·
Registered
60 Posts
sunnyday said:
This is really confusing because according to the specs, the standard sound has 6 spk only but when I test drove yesterday, the demo car was base model and when we open the back door, I saw a subwoofer on passenger seat yet i'm pretty sure that the sound system is base because there are no screen on the back and the head-unit don't have big screen.
That's correct. The base is 6 speakers. The premium has an amp and a sub. In the base stereo, the speaker in the sub enclosure in the back is only used for the active noise cancellation. There's no amp for it and no audio from the stereo plays through it. That had me a little confused too at first.

The way I'm understanding it, in the base you get 6 speakers, with the sub enclosure in the back only used for ANC. Your SLE-2+ equipped terrains have the 8 speaker with sub in the back and center speaker in the dash. If you get the DVD system you get the rear entertainment package and that's where the DVD's play. Center cluster still just has the normal display. Nav is the only package getting the screen. Backup is in the rear view unless you have Nav.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I got premium sound and no-nav, and I love it. In my pre-order decision, I tried to find info about the nav system, and there was very little available. No cars on the lot to review, and pretty much nothing on the web (but I had not found this forum!). All I could find said that the nav controls were sort of confusing. But it would still be interesting to hear from folks who have the nav, how they like it.

It does have the small screen in the front. But the interface/menu system is terrific, intuitive, easy to use, and well-integrated with steering-wheel controls also.

I also got rear entertainment for the kids, and they love it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
All have the subwoofer, as its part of the noise cancelling, I am shocked that even in the base sound system is works with the radio also. I have verified this with mine, as I just have the 6 speakers. So it does have an amp hooked up to it. Probably not as big as with the 8 speaker setup. But overall its more than enough for me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
10equinox said:
All have the subwoofer, as its part of the noise cancelling, I am shocked that even in the base sound system is works with the radio also. I have verified this with mine, as I just have the 6 speakers. So it does have an amp hooked up to it. Probably not as big as with the 8 speaker setup. But overall its more than enough for me.
http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2009/10/active-noise-cancellation----2010-equinoxterrain.html

Active Noise Cancellation, or ANC, (RPO VQN) is being introduced on 2010 Equinox and Terrain models equipped with the 2.4L SIDI 4-cylinder engine (RPO LAF). It works to reduce noticeable noise at certain vehicle speeds by creating sound waves at a precise frequency, resulting in improved quietness with less mass -- and better fuel economy -- than using additional sound-deadening insulation.

The ANC system has four main components:

· ANC module
· Microphones (2)
· Audio amplifier
· Speakers

ANC uses an RPM signal from the tachometer to determine the rotational speed in the engine along with in-vehicle microphones to monitor low-frequency engine drone. The microphones are connected to the audio system and pick up the sound/noise in the vehicle's cabin while the speakers produce the cancellation vibrations.

The two microphones are centrally located in the headliner to detect noise in the vehicle caused by the engine. The processor analyzes the noise signal and outputs a cancellation signal audio tone based on positive coefficient and phase change to moderate the engine noise and make the vehicle seem quieter. The ANC module then sends an "anti-noise "amplified signal to the speaker and subwoofer, which is mixed within the audio amplifier with the regular audio (CD/radio, etc).

TIP: ANC does NOT cancel wind noise, road noise, or any engine noise above 2000 RPM.

TIP: For optimal ANC performance, do not block the cargo area speaker. (Fig. 2)

Commonly Misidentified Issues

· ANC is not working

If a customer knows the vehicle has ANC, it may be a common misperception that ANC is not working because the engine still makes noise. The ANC module only cancels particular frequencies of noise caused by transmission lockup. It is meant to bring the engine noise back to an acceptable level, not create a noise-free environment, such as noise-cancelling headphones.

· The subwoofer is not working

Vehicles equipped with the base-level audio system (RPO UW6) and ANC (RPO VQN) will have a subwoofer in the rear compartment. The subwoofer is necessary for ANC operation and is used only for ANC on vehicles equipped with the base-level audio system. With UW6, no CD or radio audio output will come out of the subwoofer (strictly dedicated for ANC).

Diagnostics/Service

The ANC module has an internal microphone-check diagnostic mode. This can be used to check microphone connectivity. Please see the Service Information for diagnostic tone testing (Document ID# 2274156)

ANC Limiter Shutdown

The ANC module (Fig. 3) has a self-protect mode where it will shut down if the cabin environment changes in a way where noise can no longer be canceled (i.e., odd combination of open windows, etc).

An output limiter is part of the ANC programming, so it may shut down during an ignition cycle to prevent ANC overload. ANC will resume normal operation on the next ignition cycle. If this shutdown happens while a customer is driving, more engine noise than normal may be noticeable.

ANC Labor Code

The labor code associated with ANC repair/replace is R0150.

TIP: Keep in mind that ANC is part of the audio system and that the amplifier, radio, speakers and microphones all need to be working for ANC to function properly. For example, intermittent microphone connectivity will lead to unstable ANC operation.

- Thanks to Matthew Berg, David R. Baer, and Katul Patel

·
Registered
60 Posts
SnowItch said:
Thanks Scooby24, that is great information.

To me, the only thing that is not answered by that information is whether the sub-woofer in the ANC system is the same as what is installed with the Premium sound system.
Under the newgmparts.com illustration and parts options, there's only one subwoofer selection, whereas there's a selection difference in the premium speakers (pioneer) as well as the amp. I think it's the same subwoofer in all packages.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think I was confusing that site's selection for another. There are a lot of holes on that one.

Check out gmpartscheap.com

http://www.partswebsite.com/gmpartscheap/?i=1&make=125&model=2376&year=2010&catid=30177&subcatid=30703&section=123&type=parts
This is specifying a difference in speakers with Premium vs. non-premium with a price difference as well. They specify differences both in the front doors and the rear. This is also backed up by what the actual GM site lists.
Base: Audio system feature, 6-speaker system
Premium: Audio system feature Pioneer premium 8-speaker system with subwoofer and amplifier

http://www.partswebsite.com/gmpartscheap/?i=1&make=125&model=2376&year=2010&catid=30177&subcatid=30700&section=123&type=parts
Here are the amp differences.

http://www.partswebsite.com/gmpartscheap/?i=1&make=125&model=2376&year=2010&catid=30177&subcatid=36153&section=123&type=parts
There is only one sub listing, which again, leads me to believe the Sub is shared in all options.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The sub has to be working with the stereo, theres now way the base radio could put out as much bass as it does with out it. It has quit a bit more bass to it than my acadia with the bose does. I think the difference is the amp. As far as that goes it sounds every bit as good as my bose in my acadia, until you get past 3/4 full volume.

·
Registered
60 Posts
10equinox said:
The sub has to be working with the stereo, theres now way the base radio could put out as much bass as it does with out it. It has quit a bit more bass to it than my acadia with the bose does. I think the difference is the amp. As far as that goes it sounds every bit as good as my bose in my acadia, until you get past 3/4 full volume.
Go put your ear up to the sub with the radio on...I've owned both an SLE-1 (for just a week) and now an SLT-1 and the premium sound has much more bass.

It wouldn't make any sense for GM to market and label their base stereo a 6 speaker system if it was, in fact, a 7 speaker. They would be selling themselves short.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts