GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You used to be able to keep your cell phone in your vehicle and charge it overnight, you can't do that because the lighter isn't powered when the key is not in the ignition, is there a way around this? It's such a poor decision, why did they do that?

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
icb1977 said:
You used to be able to keep your cell phone in your vehicle and charge it overnight, you can't do that because the lighter isn't powered when the key is not in the ignition, is there a way around this? It's such a poor decision, why did they do that?
The 12V outlet by the rear hatch is powered 24x7. Inconvenient, but it can be used. Or, you can do some rewiring to power the others - also inconvenient !

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
icb1977 said:
So that 1000 people a day are not calling for road side assistance to jump their run down battery :banghead:

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
interesting you want it on all the time...

many owners on the Traverse, Acadia, Enclave forums- wish they were switched... so they could plug in radar detectors or GPS devices and have them go off with key--- instead of staying on all night............

·
Registered
289 Posts
rbarrios said:
interesting you want it on all the time...

many owners on the Traverse, Acadia, Enclave forums- wish they were switched... so they could plug in radar detectors or GPS devices and have them go off with key--- instead of staying on all night............
I think it can go both ways. I'm sure for another $200 GM could make them programmable in the radio.

I have a flashlight that I keep in my car at all times. The charger shuts off automatically once fully charged however turns back on to attempt a force charge when power is disconnected and reconnected. I simply plugged this in the rear cigarette lighter. My GPS, which has a bug turns on an off by itself randomly. Therefore I'm happy that the cigarette lighter turns off up front otherwise I'd probably have a dead battery.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Im glad it shuts off...I can remember in the past, people draining their batteries, leaving accessories plugged in all night..

I think in this day of everyone with GPS,phones,laptops,tablets..etc...its good that it turns off.

plus, I use my phone at night...kinda useless sitting in the car all nite!

·
Registered
338 Posts
wrusprod said:
Im glad it shuts off...I can remember in the past, people draining their batteries, leaving accessories plugged in all night..

I think in this day of everyone with GPS,phones,laptops,tablets..etc...its good that it turns off.

plus, I use my phone at night...kinda useless sitting in the car all nite!
I like that answer. :thumb:
We already have enough issues with the rear defoggers not working due to low voltage, we don't need to add to it. Although GM states to always have a battery box on a vehicle when updating modules, the Equinox is the only vehicle that you absolutely MUST have a battery tender plugged in during programming. If you don't you can be sure of a failed download and or ruined module that you were programming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts