GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am currently considering getting a 2012 SLE-1 Terrain AWD, 4 cyl (carbon black metallic). A little about me, I am coming from a 2002 dodge durango (V8 5.9l 171k miles, 12-13 mpg) I am looking at a jetta TDI disel sportwagon, subaru forrester or outback, and the terrain. Gas mileage, interior space and style is important to me. I have 2 children 3.5 and newborn and 2 dogs (boxers).

I test drove the terrain the other day and it was very nice, I like the sliding back seat, the drivers seat seem comfortable, and the cargo space seems to be good. I see that the gas varies greatly by some of the posts in this forum but the 2012 seems to be getting better gas mileage than the previous years. I do 75% highway driving. I am hoping to get around 25 mph, is that reasonable.

Should I bump up to a V6? I am not going to be doing any towing. How is the FWD versus the AWD in the snow? ANy major differences between SLE-1 and SLE-2 besides heated seats, bigger wheels?

I am up in eastern PA and sometimes the AWD comes in handy. I drive about 65 miles each day back and forth to work, on the highway. Any thoughts would be great.

in the meantime I will continue to read posts in this forum.

thanks

Mike

·
Registered
241 Posts
pfiz113 said:
I test drove the terrain the other day and it was very nice, I like the sliding back seat, the drivers seat seem comfortable, and the cargo space seems to be good. I see that the gas varies greatly by some of the posts in this forum but the 2012 seems to be getting better gas mileage than the previous years. I do 75% highway driving. I am hoping to get around 25 mph, is that reasonable.
Yes, 25mpg is very reasonable from my experience. I actually get better than that. I have the Terrain SLE-2 with the 4cyl front wheel drive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
-Should I bump up to a V6? I am not going to be doing any towing. How is the FWD versus the AWD in the snow? ANy major differences between SLE-1 and SLE-2 besides heated seats, bigger wheels?-

I live in northern NJ and have driven in snow with my FWD just fine. I think the I4 will suit you just fine except if you value a little more acceleration pep enough for the added cost and lessening of gas mileage

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: Potential Terrain owner

Thanks, my wife had a rav4 and now has a Ford Escape, both are 4 cylinder and I am familiar driving those, but mpg is important, so 4 cylinder is fine.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
368 Posts
There are other differences between SLE1 and SLE2. Radio, climate control, and drivers seat adjustments are among the differences. Also the roof rack rails. I have seen several folks who bought an SLE1 later ask about upgrading the radio in particular. I have an SLE2 and after again driving an SLE1, I would absolutely go for the SLE2. So make sure to check carefully on this. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for the advice, i emailed a few offers to some local dealers so I hope to get one this week, I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This past Tuesday I purchased a Carbon Black Metallic SLE-2 FWD I4 and I'm absolutely floored. I'm coming from a Subaru Outback and was a little concerned about not having AWD, but many people on here and others that I talked to said I shouldn't have much issue with the FWD in the Terrain. Living in Cincinnati, Ohio, we don't get the worst weather, except at times. I paid extra for the sunroof and convenience package but I don't think I'd like it without both those options. I would definitely get at least the SLE-2 for the better stereo, climate controls, power seat etc. It's well worth it. Of course, you may want to set aside an hour or two to sit in your driveway and figure everything out :thumb:

Good luck with your decision. All of those vehicles listed are great choices in different kinds of ways. One thing with the TDI sport wagon - diesel prices are going through the roof faster than gas. You may get more MPG's but it's gonna cost you! (for the record, I think those sport wagons are pretty sweet. My dad is a VW fan and has been looking at those recently.)

·
Registered
142 Posts
i have had my 4 cyl sle2 terrain for over a year. the hvac system is terrible. if you search hard you will find some posts about it.

i agree with person that said if had a v8 you might not like power in 4 cylinder. i had a 6, said i wanted mileage so got the 4. i regret it. maybe you are way more decisive then i and will be happy with the mileage savings. but i strongly suggest doing the math on annual price difference in gas. plus you mention you don't want to tow. fine, but if you have the 4 you won't even have the choice if you do want to.

the stereo in sle2 is good! i have to admit that. the remote start is awesome. i love going to work window and getting her warmed up before i go outside.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
My thoughts 'drift' that way also,
V8 to I4! May be setting yourself up for disappointment.
Milage is not an overly huge difference (from what the I4 owners are posting on their mpg) I am right around the 24-25mpg range, depending on your foot position, I have hit 26mpg with the V6 but I just can't seem to drive that close to the speed limit :)
Vehicle is just simply to heavy for the I4 engine - math is math - and torque is torque, that is why the I4 isn't getting close to the mpg one would expect,

JMO, [/color]

·
Registered
241 Posts
POLRCUB said:
Vehicle is just simply to heavy for the I4 engine - math is math - and torque is torque, that is why the I4 isn't getting close to the mpg one would expect,

JMO
My I4 gets the MPG stated on the window sticker when I bought it. It even does better than 22/32 on some occasions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all.. I figured I'd tag on to this post as I am pretty much in the same boat as the thread starter.

I test-drove a Terrain V6 SLE2 and absolutely loved it. I've driven the Ford Edge and Escape, the Rav4, and The CRV, and none came close to how much I enjoyed driving the Terrain. I'm coming from a VW Jetta 1.8 Turbo, and I'm done with sedans..

My question is regarding overall reliability. Are there any reoeat issues that seem to creep up with these Terrains? The warranty seems good, and I haven't seen any huge problems looking over these forums, but I wanted to ask. The interior build quality seems really good, and the chassis feels very stable.

Looking forward to getting my tax return so I can get one of my own ordered! :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
So far with my 2012 V6 SLE2 AWD, no issues..I also looked at a Ford Escape, I like the Terrain better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Well I am getting my Terrain tomorrow. I got the SLE-2 steel Grey metallic 4 cylinder. Convenience package with 18 inch wheels. The interior is the two tone cloth, black and tan. Very excited!! Thanks for your advice guys!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Gmc terrain is a great American car great room but I suggest u go with the awd. Even tho it's made in Canada it's a us company keep the $ in the us

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I did get the AWD, forgot to mention that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts