GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a luxury crossover. To start this thread off, I have never owned an American car. I've only owned Hondas, Toyotas, and Acuras and a VW... the one consistent thing about all of the Japanese vehicles (this is over a 20 year period) is that they are never in the shop (the VW was a repair nightmare). Contrast that notion with the fact that I grew up in a family that owned American cars and they were always in the shop!

Anyhow, I've looked at the usual suspects in the X-over class: Audi Q5 (which I won't buy because of my VW experience), the BMW X3, the Mercedes GLK, and the Volvo XC60...oh, and by the way, the SRX!

A year ago I drove the SRX for a few days out west on vacation. I was definitely impressed. BUT, the amount of road noise reminded too much of my Hondas (which is a sticking point for me with Honda). I've read, though, that the 2012 SRX has addressed the road noise problem with added sound proofing.

As of now, I like the idea of owning a BMW or Mercedes... but I just can't get past the fact that they are among the WORST when considering reliability. So they are off my list.

That leads me to the Volvo (which I am considering) and the SRX. As of now, Consumer Reports has the SRX reliability rated as "Average" and the JD Power ratings are also middle of the road. This and the fact that other Cadillacs and Chevys have a long list of poor reliability histories makes me VERY nervous about owning an SRX. 40K plus is a lot of money to lay out for a car that is not going to be durable and reliable. Through my searches I have come across owner reviews that list endless problems with their SRX models... and, quite honestly, it makes me think that I am fooling myself that I can buy a Cadillac and have it be repair free for the next 6 or 7 years (like the Honda and Acura I currently own).

I hoping that some of you with ownership experience can tell me about your Cadillac experiences.... and your experience with an '10 or later SRX model.

Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry to be so long in replying. First off, the SRX is not a luxury car, certainly not in the class of the Mercedes, especially price wise. When you can buy an SRX Luxury for $41,000 it isn't fair to compare it with a $70,000 car. Now, if you're looking at the SRX or Buick Enclave (a 7 or 8 passenger for about $46,000), I think that they're quieter than any other cars (except maybe a Rolls). I've just owned an Enclave ('08) and traded it in for a 2012 SRX Luxury. It had more than I wanted (sun roof), and features I did want (heated steering wheel, 8-way passenger seat and very powerful engine, for its' size). I prefer American cars (even though the SRX is made in Mexico) as far as any needed service. The Enclave was trouble-free for me with 40,000 miles. Previous to that I owned a '05 Buick Terraza...again, trouble-free for 36,000 miles. Before you buy any car, remember that they're just machines and are due to be serviced by a competant service department. Check out the dealer and his service department before you buy. And very important, what happens of you're not near that dealer? Is there another dealer that you can take the car to and have warranty work performed? There are a lot of horror stories out there about "foreign" car service departments not servicing a car that was not purchased by that dealer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts