GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went for an analysis primarily to get a baseline oo how the 2.4 engine is performing. What I found is this:

- seems there will always be some fuel in the oil. This sample was taken after a 40 min ride home from work. However the viscosity is near the range, even with 5100 miles on the oil.
- I can develop a change interval based on this data, looks like 6500 mi with Mobil 1 5w30 is what i will get. This correlates to about 50% on the oil life monitor.
- The engine break in seems normal.

Maybe a collection of oil alalysis data would help establish a norm, and relieve some fears and anxieties, and help one identify issues early.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
John223 said:
So I went for an analysis primarily to get a baseline oo how the 2.4 engine is performing. What I found is this:

- seems there will always be some fuel in the oil. This sample was taken after a 40 min ride home from work. However the viscosity is near the range, even with 5100 miles on the oil.
- I can develop a change interval based on this data, looks like 6500 mi with Mobil 1 5w30 is what i will get. This correlates to about 50% on the oil life monitor.
- The engine break in seems normal.

Maybe a collection of oil alalysis data would help establish a norm, and relieve some fears and anxieties, and help one identify issues early.

John
Thanks for this post John

·
Registered
371 Posts
Your viscosity is down in the 5w-20 range. Although not as bad as mine was at 2500 miles. Mine was in the mid 7's.

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Crap. No wonder GM is re-flashing the settings for the Oil Life system on many cars readout, to a shorter life span. 6500 miles equals only 50% on OLM system? And they are recco an oil change at about 6500 miles max!! Not impressed with that number.... OLM is very misleading then. I gotta believe GM's new Dexos will do worse, as it is a "blend" oil ( that usually means it's only about 20% synthetic oil, 80% normal oil with great additives in it. Hmmmm.....

Thank you so much for sharing this.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I just received my GM approved oil test kits. Can't wait to send it in and see if it matches the 4% fuel in oil I got from my analyzer. GM says Blackstone and other oil analyzers are not GM approved so their results are not reliable. We'll see.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Motorman said:
Crap. No wonder GM is re-flashing the settings for the Oil Life system on many cars readout, to a shorter life span. 6500 miles equals only 50% on OLM system? And they are recco an oil change at about 6500 miles max!! Not impressed with that number.... OLM is very misleading then. I gotta believe GM's new Dexos will do worse, as it is a "blend" oil ( that usually means it's only about 20% synthetic oil, 80% normal oil with great additives in it. Hmmmm.....

Thank you so much for sharing this.
Is the OLM reflash only for V6 models? It looks as though the I4 is in almost the same boat though.

·
Registered
315 Posts
2011LT2 said:
Is the OLM reflash only for V6 models? It looks as though the I4 is in almost the same boat though.
Its V6 only, and to fight timing chain stretch issues on the 3.6 (was a major issues in 05-08), its not as bad now, but still a concern on the HFV6 in all models. I've always read that the 05-08's had alot of oil burning from the factory (w/o oil level sensor), many owners would push 10k miles and have oil level 2-3 quarts LOW, which caused the issues.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,847 Posts
I'm about to do my first oil change at 5,000 miles. I'll be saving the original factory oil (never done this before). One reason will be to filter it to see what comes out. But the other MIGHT be to have this oil analysis done.

But I've got some questions about this:

How much information do these guys (Blackstone) require? Do you HAVE to give them the year, make, and model of the car the oil came out of? Isn't that corrupting the analysis? Shouldn't they simply be doing an analysis of the oil without knowing WHERE it came from?

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to tell which brand of oil is being used through such analysis? OK - maybe an exact BRAND isn't possible (unless there is something very unique about a particular brand), but I would think the oil could at least be categorized based on its 'ingredients' with a list of possible manufacturer products listed for that category. For example, if a "blend" oil is detected, then possibly Mobil 1 High Mileage would be listed (not to suggest this is what you'd want to use in your 2010/2011 Equinox, but just an example). And maybe something similar for the different 'groups' of synthetic oils (II, III, IV, V), since each might have different 'ingredients'.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The best reason to provide what it is, is so that they can compare it to the same oil in that kind of engine, that oil in other engines and other oils in your engine. So they can give you the best analysis of whether its normal, how long you could go with changes, ect... They will know how much of the additives are left and therefore how much it has used up, ect...

They can certainly do blind analysis just for the numbers, but then you dont get as much for your money.

And its only the most accurate if your sample comes straight out of the engine after a moderate distance highway run that has an opportunity to burn off some of the moisture and fuel. If it sets too long could gather moisture or contaminants, such as from the container you put it in. If you have a clean bottle then you can catch some of it while draining and transfer it to the sample bottle within a couple weeks and will still be fine.

Today I changed the oil at 1500 miles, drove it on the highway 65mph up and down hills for about 20 miles and then parked it, and caught the sample as it was draining. I also have a vacuum pump that can pull it out the dipstick, but thats mainly for between changes. I will post the analysis when I get it back. This oil seems so thin, which is the latest trend with modern bearings and tolerances, but gosh it makes me kind of cringe. I'm a 10W30 kind of guy I guess or 15W40.

·
Registered
216 Posts
grometsc said:
Another BAD Mobil 1 test in a gDI setup.....
I can't believe Blackstone told him to "stick with 12,000 mile oil runs until wear in washes out"
My guess is the oil analysis would be bad with any brand of oil if your using 0W30 in a 2.4DI engine and running it 12,000 miles! I would assume the filter also had 12,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes, filter was Mobil 1 as well and was also at 12,000 miles. According to BlackStone the oil still had life left in it. I did the extra test to see whether or not GM's highly configured oil life monitoring system truly has the built in buffer they claim it does. The BlackStone information confirmed that it indeed does.

Yes, i have been running 0w30.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A 0W-30 will have the same or similar characteristics to a 5W- or 10W-30 of the same manufacturer's product line; they are all simply 30W oils when warm. The advantage of a 0W oil over a 10W-30 in cold temps is evident if one compares the cold pumping characteristics of the 0W.

Post from another forum

Supposedly, Mobil 1 0W-30 does offer a slight fuel economy improvement over M1 5W-30. Note that I said "slight" improvement. If you're hoping for 5-10 MPG, look elsewhere

M1 0W-30 and 5W-30 are both rated the same by Mobil, they both claim to exceed API/ILSAC SM/GF-4. They both meet the tougher European spec ACEA A1/B1.

Hot viscosity, there are two different SAE approved ways of measuring. The first is a kinematic test at +100 C oil temp, which is under ASTM D445. Any oil claiming to be a "30" such as straight 30, 10W-30, 5W-30, or 0W-30, *must* test 9.3-12.5 cSt (CentiStokes). No exceptions

The second test is a dynamic one under ASTM D4683. This is a high temperature high shear test, run at +150 C oil temp, and 10^6 shears/sec. Any oil claiming to be a "30" *must* have a minimum viscosity of 2.9 mPa s (Milli Pascals per sec). No exceptions

Mobil 1 5W-30 is rated by Mobil as having a kinematic viscosity of 11.3 cSt, and a dynamic viscosity of 3.09 mPa s. Flash point is +230 C

Mobil 1 0W-30 is rated by Mobil as having a kinematic viscosity of 11 cSt, and a dynamic viscosity of 2.99 mPa s. Flash point is +228 C

THose test results are a virtually identical rating. If one oil tested say 12.3 vs 11 cSt, that is a difference. Or if one oil had a HTHS of 3.6 mPa and the other had 2.9

A lot of conventional oils are designed to shear on purpose, to enhance fuel economy. Mobil 1 oils are designed not to shear at all, providing better engine protection.

Also keep in mind that both oils are specifically approved by GM for use in the high performance Corvette

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
I recently posted a current article from Popular Mechanics on the GM and other OLM's and how they determine oil usage

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Just like I thought... Mobil 1 does horrible in the 3.6 DI's and is doing horrible in these engines too...
I was about to say- try Pennz Ultra or Plat and the Iron #s drop...
and then I see a post on Penn and sure enough.. nice number.
Its interesting to see the UOA with 12,000 miles---- DI and Mobil 1 interaction....
I say this because here is my UOA of my 2003 Trailblazer- with 11,039 miles. (145,448 miles on the engine)... and running Valvoline Dino 5W-30 (the same oil I run in my 2010 Traverse with the DI 3.6).
Its interesting that my Trailblazer Iron is only 18 after 11K miles.... while the mobil 1- is at 200 +
I know its DI-- but so is my Traverse. and in 5000 miles oil changes on this engine-. My Valvoline is only showing iron numbers in the 20's...

Id stay clear of Mobil 1.
(by the way- the trailblazer with those UOA was driven daily in Los Angeles rush hour traffic and heat). the silicon was due to a badly seated air cleaner cover.

thanks for the 12K oil analysis.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1906565

ill post in the UOA for my Trailblazer and Traverse- one with long oil change intervals. (trailblazer- always up to 11,500 mile oil change intervals using the OLM- and my Traverse with the DI engine... on this one I do 5000 mile oil change intervals because its DI).

anyone here have a nox/terrain and using Valvoline Dino? Im sure it would give nice results too-- better than Mobil 1.

1 - 20 of 268 Posts