GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title says..just curious as to how far you guys/girls can go on a tank (until the light turns on)
post your miles, engine and drive-train to compare!

2010 equinox
V6
AWD
385-400 miles per tank

·
Registered
698 Posts
djmodifyd said:
as the title says..just curious as to how far you guys/girls can go on a tank (until the light turns on)
post your miles, engine and drive-train to compare!

2010 equinox
V6
AWD
385-400 miles per tank
It's not a good idea to run your tank that low. The gasoline helps to cool the fuel pump.

And how do you know if the tank is full when you fill it at the station? Can't there be a few litres (gallons) difference here and there that could skew your numbers??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Terrain said:
It's not a good idea to run your tank that low. The gasoline helps to cool the fuel pump.

And how do you know if the tank is full when you fill it at the station? Can't there be a few litres (gallons) difference here and there that could skew your numbers??
That is a bunch of HORSE HOCKEY!
1. there are TWO fuel pumps on a Terrain, one under the hood which is the "high Pressure" pump, and one in the tank. The one in the tank is in the top of the tank and is not Submerged in Gas all the time.
2. You need a life!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
bfork1 said:
1. there are TWO fuel pumps on a Terrain, one under the hood which is the "high Pressure" pump, and one in the tank. The one in the tank is in the top of the tank and is not Submerged in Gas all the time.
2. You need a life!
****, why so bitter???/

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ckmullin said:
So far...to extrapolate from full to 1/4 a tank left...I get 500 mi/800 km a tank on my V6 AWD.
That is also in the mountain passes!
how do you pull that off!?

·
Registered
468 Posts
djmodifyd said:
how do you pull that off!?
I would like to know that too, our tanks hold around 18 gallons, he said full to 1/4 he gets around 500, lets estimate and say he is using 15 gallons worth of gas. Thats around 33 city mpg on the v6 AWD, pretty darn good gas mileage! I once got 30 mpg highway with cruise on doing 65 mph, but once I added in the city driving it went down, and that is with the I4 AWD. But cant go by me I like to drive faster then average.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
bfork1 said:
Who said I was bitter? Just replying to nonsense. Can you really tell someones emotion from your screen? wow
Appears as tho your the one that needs to get a lfe
Guess not everyone on here is so smart as your dumb ass

·
Registered
698 Posts
bfork1 said:
2. You need a life!
Somehow I missed this... but all I have to say is WOW. You are a piece of work, buddy!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my e-penis is bigger than your e-penis

..seriously...calm down lol
i just wanted to know your mile per tank

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
bfork1 said:
The one in the tank is in the top of the tank and is not Submerged in Gas all the time.
Having had to replace a fuel pump in my '89 Buick LeSabre after running out of gas, I have also been telling people that they should not run their tanks low on fuel for fear of burning out the fuel pump. I am happy that you have "told" us that we do not have to worry about this, because the Equinox fuel pump is not submerged in the fuel.

Thanks you for "enlightening" me on this matter.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
bfork1 said:
2. You need a life!
Yep..spreading 'misinformation' can not only be aggravating to those who are sure of what they are talking about...but influence others even though dishonest. Whether deliberate or due to naivete,it only distorts the truth of the matter. This seems to happen on all forums with half truths or exaggeration until others step up to support one or the other with facts..or bother to do a little research. Often misleading statements just defy logic..but some are more readily taken as Gospel ..until exposed as complete or partial BS. BS doesn't help anyone..except to reveal who is finally credible..or not.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
RIT333 said:
Having had to replace a fuel pump in my '89 Buick LeSabre after running out of gas, I have also been telling people that they should not run their tanks low on fuel for fear of burning out the fuel pump. I am happy that you have "told" us that we do not have to worry about this, because the Equinox fuel pump is not submerged in the fuel.

Thanks you for "enlightening" me on this matter.
'89 Buick..huh?
Well...is the 2010-11 Equinox fuel pump really in a position to be ruined if the owner runs low on gas?? This is a bold statement to put out there if it is not true....

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
IceMan said:
'89 Buick..huh?
Well...is the 2010-11 Equinox fuel pump really in a position to be ruined if the owner runs low on gas?? This is a bold statement to put out there if it is not true....
simple solution, don't let your tank go below 1/2 full then you stand a better chance of not running out of gas too..
I'm so happy we have so many "EXPERTS" on here that want to chastise another poster because their views are not the same.
FORUM: a public meeting place for open discussion...not a place to berate someone else

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
Well...I haven't noticed many experts on this forum yet..(or let me rephrase that)...Have not been convinced that there are...although some seem to find how to add some nice mods by jumping in and going for it. Then others offer experienced info on different items purchased for this car...but usually offer details as to why they think their decisions are the best way to go.
As far as berating others..that can happen when someone finds a statement as bordering on..or just plain ridiculous. Then the defenders of the other side have no qualms at berating back,as well.
The fuel gauge has a light that comes on(or does now on most cars)that alerts that fuel is getting low. I'm sure that there are some here that have managed to get to that point before refilling. I have seen no warnings from GM that everyone should beware of entering this zone because low gas can damage the vehicle. If so...please enlighten me with some actual facts from the 'experts'.
Misinformation...and unproven speculation can only provide confusion...or un-needed concern.
Simple...isn't it..?

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
IceMan said:
If so...please enlighten me with some actual facts from the 'experts'.
Misinformation...and unproven speculation can only provide confusion...or un-needed concern.
Simple...isn't it..?
Let me describe an experience from 1998, and you can take it for what it is worth...

I was driving back from FL to NY and I used to play the game of seeing how far I could go on a tank of gas with my 1989 Buiick LeSabre. I pulled into a gas station in VA on a Saturday afternoon of Easter Weekend. The gas gauge was below E, and I litterly coasted up to the gas pump. I filled up the car with 18+ gallons of gas, (it had an 18 gallon tank), and tried to leave. The car would not start, so I pushed the car off to the side, and called my mechanic in Schentady NY, and he suggested some things to check, but told me it was most likely the fuel pump that had failed from running out of gas. He explained (incidently, he was a GM mechanic for 30+ years at the time) that gas acts as a coolant on fuel pumps that sit in the tank, as mine did. I spent Easter Sunday with a trucker siphoniong 18 gallons of gas, lowering the tank, and replacing the fuel pump - the trucker sadis he had extra time, and he was just a nice guy. Late afternoon of Easter Sunday, we got on the road, and headed back to NY. BTW, we did the job in the rain.

Obviously, it could have been a co-incidence that the pump failed at the exact instant that I ran out of fuel, but, I, for one, will NEVER play the "see how far you can go on a tank of fuel game" again. You, and anyone else, can play the game, but you better hope that the same trucker is nearby. Incidently, I was told that no repair shops would be open on Easter Sunday, and that is why we did it ourselves. Otherwise, it could have taken a few days to get the fuel pump replaced.

And NO, I am not an "expert", but I try to learn from my experiences, and I also try to teach others from my experiences. I would not want any one of you to go through what I did that Easter Weekend in 1998. Too bad that GM didn't install an access panel under the rear seat to get at the fuel pump, as many cars do these days.

Thanks for your time, and if it saves one fuel pump, then it was worth it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RIT333 said:
Let me describe an experience from 1998, and you can take it for what it is worth...

I was driving back from FL to NY and I used to play the game of seeing how far I could go on a tank of gas with my 1989 Buiick LeSabre. I pulled into a gas station in VA on a Saturday afternoon of Easter Weekend. The gas gauge was below E, and I litterly coasted up to the gas pump. I filled up the car with 18+ gallons of gas, (it had an 18 gallon tank), and tried to leave. The car would not start, so I pushed the car off to the side, and called my mechanic in Schentady NY, and he suggested some things to check, but told me it was most likely the fuel pump that had failed from running out of gas. He explained (incidently, he was a GM mechanic for 30+ years at the time) that gas acts as a coolant on fuel pumps that sit in the tank, as mine did. I spent Easter Sunday with a trucker siphoniong 18 gallons of gas, lowering the tank, and replacing the fuel pump - the trucker sadis he had extra time, and he was just a nice guy. Late afternoon of Easter Sunday, we got on the road, and headed back to NY. BTW, we did the job in the rain.

Obviously, it could have been a co-incidence that the pump failed at the exact instant that I ran out of fuel, but, I, for one, will NEVER play the "see how far you can go on a tank of fuel game" again. You, and anyone else, can play the game, but you better hope that the same trucker is nearby. Incidently, I was told that no repair shops would be open on Easter Sunday, and that is why we did it ourselves. Otherwise, it could have taken a few days to get the fuel pump replaced.

And NO, I am not an "expert", but I try to learn from my experiences, and I also try to teach others from my experiences. I would not want any one of you to go through what I did that Easter Weekend in 1998. Too bad that GM didn't install an access panel under the rear seat to get at the fuel pump, as many cars do these days.

Thanks for your time, and if it saves one fuel pump, then it was worth it.
try running any pump DRY...thats when they fail. sure i imagine that the fuel in the tank acts as a coolent to the pump...but its the act of running it dry that causes them to fail.

and as stated above...why would GM design the vehicle to tell you it is low on fuel when it is so low it is damaging...i'm sure they don't let it get that low before the light comes on.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts