GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

post-lawsuit 2013 2.4L

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  jonwgilbert12 
#1 ·
So i have the pistons/ rings changed with timing belt etc per the new SCA for my 2013 2.4L. the dealer said he cleaned out the PCV intake as well.

I noticed some clean oil in the clean side of the PCV.

So what next? What should I do to ensure there are no big issues with the rear seal, oil consumption etc?

oil & filter 3K?
clean PCV vavle (cleanside).

Sincerely,

delivers1234

#2 · (Edited)
So i have the pistons/ rings changed with timing belt etc per the new SCA for my 2013 2.4L. the dealer said he cleaned out the PCV intake as well.

I noticed some clean oil in the clean side of the PCV.

delivers1234
My 2 cents
Clean oil in cleanside PCV is because ====>> your crankcase is under pressure. <<===
The pressure is escaping the crankcase via dirty side PCV and cleanside PCV --> taking oil with it.
Imagine all the carbon building up on intake valves from this oil.
This ^^^ is "normal" for this engine but it IS NOT RIGHT.
(Oil in clean air intake is also "normal" for the V6 engine)

As a preventative measure, to delay oil consumption and to make engine live longer....
I use only 100% synthetic oil and change oil at 5000 miles or when oil life monitor hits 33%, which ever comes first..
And
I only use premium gasoline from a "top tier" gas station, like shell, and use Techron fuel system treatment before each oil change to --> remove carbon from upper compression ring and reduce LSPI
And..
I replaced my oil cap with a vented one, ==> that also keeps crankcase pressure at zero PSi, thus no oil in cleanside PCV.
And it prevent rear main seal failure in ice cold weather.
And By keeping the inside of crankcase at zero psi pressure,
My engine should last longer.

See Post 81.
4 choices for venting crankcase

https://www.equinoxforum.net/18-faq...v-valve-causing-rear-main-seal-failure-9.html

The fc219 oil cap has a cracking pressure greater then 1.5 psi,
so crankcase will be pressure cooking crankcase gunk, watered vapor and engine oil in a 1.5 psi pressure cooker called a crankcase.
The FC219 oil cap will NOT stop oil from being pushed into clean side PCV hose since it allows crankcase to be pressurized up to its cracking pressure, which is greater then 1.5 psi
See Post 22
No air through fc 219 oil cap

https://www.equinoxforum.net/31-eng...re-rear-main-seal-2.html#/topics/25827?page=5

A 5th choice of venting crankcase is shown in video in post 87
A home made oil cap vent connected to intake manifold.
Of course fuel trims need to be validated, especially when car is decelerating since it is unmetered air.

https://www.equinoxforum.net/18-faq...v-valve-causing-rear-main-seal-failure-9.html

PS
Did your intake valves get the carbon cleaned off of them during your major engine fix?
After all carbon build up on intakevalves is a root cause of oil consumption!??!

Reactions: khnitz
#9 ·
My 2 cents
Clean oil in cleanside PCV is because ====>> your crankcase is under pressure. <<===
The pressure is escaping the crankcase via dirty side PCV and cleanside PCV --> taking oil with it.
Imagine all the carbon building up on intake valves from this oil.
This ^^^ is "normal" for this engine but it IS NOT RIGHT.
(Oil in clean air intake is also "normal" for the V6 engine)

As a preventative measure, to delay oil consumption and to make engine live longer....
I use only 100% synthetic oil and change oil at 5000 miles or when oil life monitor hits 33%, which ever comes first..
And
I only use premium gasoline from a "top tier" gas station, like shell, and use Techron fuel system treatment before each oil change to --> remove carbon from upper compression ring and reduce LSPI
And..
I replaced my oil cap with a vented one, ==> that also keeps crankcase pressure at zero PSi, thus no oil in cleanside PCV.
And it prevent rear main seal failure in ice cold weather.
And By keeping the inside of crankcase at zero psi pressure,
My engine should last longer.

See Post 81.
4 choices for venting crankcase

GM Service Bulletin 14882 - Blocked PCV valve causing...

The fc219 oil cap has a cracking pressure greater then 1.5 psi,
so crankcase will be pressure cooking crankcase gunk, watered vapor and engine oil in a 1.5 psi pressure cooker called a crankcase.
The FC219 oil cap will NOT stop oil from being pushed into clean side PCV hose since it allows crankcase to be pressurized up to its cracking pressure, which is greater then 1.5 psi
See Post 22
No air through fc 219 oil cap

pcv, oil breather, vaccum pressure, rear main seal?

A 5th choice of venting crankcase is shown in video in post 87
A home made oil cap vent connected to intake manifold.
Of course fuel trims need to be validated, especially when car is decelerating since it is unmetered air.

GM Service Bulletin 14882 - Blocked PCV valve causing...

PS
Did your intake valves get the carbon cleaned off of them during your major engine fix?
After all carbon build up on intakevalves is a root cause of oil consumption!??!
Does the vented oil cap fit the 2.4L motors? I have 2016 GMC Terrain that is having issues with the PVC freezing.

#4 ·
With luck, you will get over 200k miles on your equinox.
My 2 cents...
You will have to do additional preventative maintenance... like radiator fluid change and...Transmission fluid change, (do not do a flush) and other preventative maintenance ...
https://www.traverseforum.com/33-en...r-transmission-fluid.html#/topics/2683?page=1

According to this GM oil consumption document
https://www.equinoxforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15113&d=1582771478
Gm does clean the dirty side PCV orifice, which is molded in to the nylon6/6 plastic intake manifold, GM says poke it clean with a 1/16 inch drill bit,
But GM DOES NOT mandate removing the carbon from intake valves stems....

The intake valves are made of steel, and allow air to be sucked into the combustion chamber. The exhaust valves let the "exhaust" out of the combustion chamber.

gm considers the carbon build up on "intake valves stems" "normal". For these GM GDI engines, carbon build up on intake valves is normal, but it is "not right".
The GM designed PCV system deposits carbon on intake valves.

On this same ecotec engine, before GM converted it to GDI, it was "port injected". The port injected engine washed or cleaned, the intake valves with gasoline thus keeping the intake valves clean, thus no carbon on intake valves.
The GDI engine has a higher compression and squirts gasoline directly into cylinder, thus it does not clean the intake valves.

Carbon build up on intake valves is the root cause of oil consumption via the process called LSPI as explained in detail....==>

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/20...e-direct-injection-issues-facts-fictions-gdi/

Reactions: khnitz
#6 ·
I would change the upstream O2 sensor since a lot of burnt oil passed by it myself. It can be still in range but off and not code out or seem to working OK. Picked up 1.9 mpg in my Tahoe by changing the 100k sensors in it and they were functioning fine in monitoring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.