GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an update or follow-up to my previous post in the thread about which Terrains have Intellilink...

I talked to my dealer about my 2012 SLT Terrain not having Intellilink even though I specifically asked him prior to buying (leasing) it if it did. I told him at the time that it was very important to me that it has Intellilink and he told me that it did indeed. He now says that he had the wrong information and that I don't have it in my vehicle (which I knew thanks to this forum!). But, they have now ordered an Intellilink head from GMC and are going to try to replace my current one with it at no charge to me. It won't be in for a week or so for me to find out what happens.

Does anybody have any idea if that should be possible/feasible to be done by the dealer? He said that they haven't done it before, but think that it can be done. From what I seem to understand from reading this forum, it doesn't seem like it should be a problem since it's theoretically only the software/firmware that is different. Does that make sense? Anyway, just looking for opinions.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If getting the Intelilink radio (RPO UP9) gets you the base radio, the software
and the hardware to do A2DP hardware you have a good chance of it working.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Based on the information I have available, this is not something that is upgradable. Your best bet would be to keep in contact with your dealer for more information. Keep me posted. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My dealer told me the Colortouch is not upgradable to Intellilink due to different wiring and computer modules within the Terrain. If you find out this is not correct keep me posted. Having all kinds of problems with the Colortouch and Ipods as I have posted in another thread.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sounds to me like they are willing to replace quite a few components. I do however wonder since they have rolled it out slowly on the models if it is tied to any other modules (BCM, ECM, etc) or not. If it's tied to those, those may have to be upgraded as well. If they are willing to start at replacing the radio head unit and go through the entire process they may learn quite a bit. Although, it may put your vehicle out of service longer than you want unless they get it right the first try.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'm curious to see if they are able to do it...I'm sure it can be done, but as mentioned by others, it more than a simple firmware flash...

Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Anything can be done. With enough time and money I could install an Allison V12 in my Terrain but that does not mean it would be cheap or easy.

I would think it could be done but the cost of the parts would not be cost effective at this point. Years down the road the parts could be had in a salvage yard the cost would come down.

I am sure it is tied to the BCM the computer. The computers are all the same but the real issue would be to down load the correct flash to make it all work. All of GM's sound systems have been tied into the cars computer for a while now. That is how it can tell when to turn up with speed controled sound and how they can figure out at the dealer what part of the system has failed.

I am sure some where down the road someone will do the swap but I do not see it becoming a common thing. For what you get it is not worth the investment of the time or money.

But now on the other hand if you are looking for a 2012 and it is an option to you snap it up as it is the best $100 option you will invest in. You will not be happy if you pass it up. This is the future of most GM cars and yours will be left behind soon as this will be a common item in most GM cars from here forward.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
SkinsFan0521 said:
As an update or follow-up to my previous post in the thread about which Terrains have Intellilink...

I talked to my dealer about my 2012 SLT Terrain not having Intellilink even though I specifically asked him prior to buying (leasing) it if it did. I told him at the time that it was very important to me that it has Intellilink and he told me that it did indeed. He now says that he had the wrong information and that I don't have it in my vehicle (which I knew thanks to this forum!). But, they have now ordered an Intellilink head from GMC and are going to try to replace my current one with it at no charge to me. It won't be in for a week or so for me to find out what happens.

Does anybody have any idea if that should be possible/feasible to be done by the dealer? He said that they haven't done it before, but think that it can be done. From what I seem to understand from reading this forum, it doesn't seem like it should be a problem since it's theoretically only the software/firmware that is different. Does that make sense? Anyway, just looking for opinions.
JMO and experience, I think its doable by simply changing the unit head, I don't know of to many Dealers that would go ahead and order a new head without talking to Dealer Tech Support first (in this case since its a new product)
I would bet that the main wiring harness in the dash is the same, so please keep us posted on your progress.

One simple test you can do, as I have done it in the past, is to find a similar equiped Terrain on a dealer lot that has the Intelilink radio as the only difference, and have the parts guy look up the harness for both yours and the 'new' vehicle and see if the part numbers are the same.
If they are, thats a good sign, if not, then that would indicate that GM changed up the wiring harness[/color]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to update and say that on Monday my 2012 Terrain was upgraded to an Intellilink radio by my dealer. So, the answer is that it can be done. I don't know what all they needed to do the swap, but it was done during the workday. They came and picked my car up in the morning and had it back in time for me to drive home.

Now, my question is how do I get my Google Maps navigation (on a Droid Incredible 2) to play over my XM when it has something to say? It will play all the audio from Maps Navigation if I choose the input on the stereo to be "Bluetooth Audio", but I don't know how to get it to play over my XM. Anybody have any ideas on that?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
SkinsFan0521 said:
Just wanted to update and say that on Monday my 2012 Terrain was upgraded to an Intellilink radio by my dealer. So, the answer is that it can be done. I don't know what all they needed to do the swap, but it was done during the workday. They came and picked my car up in the morning and had it back in time for me to drive home.

Now, my question is how do I get my Google Maps navigation (on a Droid Incredible 2) to play over my XM when it has something to say? It will play all the audio from Maps Navigation if I choose the input on the stereo to be "Bluetooth Audio", but I don't know how to get it to play over my XM. Anybody have any ideas on that?
Excellent!! I thought there might be a good chance,,,

I'm sending you a PM [/color]

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: Re: Possible to swap a 2012 Terrain ColorTouch for Intellilink head?

SkinsFan0521 said:

Did the dealer charge you for the upgrade?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Now that you Intellilink, you may be able to run the new GoGoLink
navigation app. If you can I believe it about $50. It works with the
data in the phone, does not have to be online.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, the dealer did not charge me for the upgrade because he had told me prior to me leasing it that it had an IntelliLink system in it.

Also, I'm probably not interested in paying $50 for an app. I just really want my Terrain to give me the navigation instructions when I'm listening to XM. If I can figure that out, I'd be very happy

·
Registered
241 Posts
GM Customer Svc said:
Based on the information I have available, this is not something that is upgradable. Your best bet would be to keep in contact with your dealer for more information. Keep me posted. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Ahhhh keep reading Tricia, it is upgradeable. It's been done.

I will be calling GMC back.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I believe that Tricia was talking about not being able to upgrade the standard colortouch radio, by way of a firmware upgrade...that its a complete radio replacement...

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
wrusprod said:
I believe that Tricia was talking about not being able to upgrade the standard colortouch radio, by way of a firmware upgrade...that its a complete radio replacement...
She never mentioned anything by way of a firmware upgrade,, Just another useless post - as usual,,

So let me clear the air if its cloudy for some,

As wkeatonjr has stated - yes, the colortouch is upgradable - this is only for the AM/FM stereo with colorTouch - not any of the other radios will work.

Done - great work skinsfan0521 :thumb:

[/color]

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
yep, only 2012 at this point (swap out the radio for Intellilink radio)...I dont think its that big of an issue, that I will want to swap out my standard colortouch for the connected one.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts