GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
I have had an AWD 4 cylinder terrain for 2 months, approaching 2k miles, 90% highway driving (320 mile round trip every weekend) and less than 50 miles city per week. Despite efforts to improve gas mileage (using eco mode, monitoring instantaneous MPG) we are barely managing to get above 21 mpg (less than my old 6 cylinder ford escape). As one of the main reasons we bought the terrain was the mpg, we are pretty unimpressed so far. is this usual during the break in period, or is there something wrong with our car?

thanks

G

·
21mpg = 11.2 L/100km...this sounds pretty high.

I have been averaging about 13.5 L/100km but I have the V6 AWD. I do about 80% highway.

With as much highway as you do, you should get much better milage regardless if your engine is broken in or not.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The break in period is bad.. then the winter gas is even worse the ethanol content is higher so the fuel is less efficient..

Have you checked the gas you're using in your area? Try fueling a different brand (who owns their own refineries or is the exact same as the others).

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have just under 300 miles on my Terrain and with 40% HWY and 60% city I am at 24 mpg.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've found that somewhere between 3,000-5,000 miles I thought someone replaced my V6 engine during the night. The power band/torque increased significantly and the gas mileage also improved. Give your direct injection engine a chance to break-in, you'll be very pleasantly surprised. Trust me, it'll feel like a totally different car after a few thousand miles(NOTE--I can only comment on the V6 however, as that's what I own).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got just over 300 miles on mine, 65% hwy and 35% city and mileage is terrible, it was 22. Filled up and reset the mpg and it's 24.5, still terrible since my '97 3.8L V6 supercharged get's 25.9 on a regular basis. I did notice the transmission being more responsive the last two days...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, all. I just filled up my 2010 Equinox LS with 4 cylinders and FWD and it worked out to 33.4 mpg. I don't expect that that will continue in the winter cold, but gas mileage is not something I'm complaining about with this vehicle. Ahem, YMMV.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have 300 miles on my I4, and even though it's very very cold right now, I'm getting less than ideal mileage. I drive 75% HW and the MPG is saying 18-19! I am still on the original tank of gas but I sure hope it goes up. And I drive very non-aggressively, purposefully trying to get better MPG. However according to the fuel range I should get about 360-370 miles out of this tank of gas which works out to be more than 18-19. But still not good.

Also, I've found the instant MPG to be wildly inconsistent! As in, we can't even look at it. It will jump around like a maniac, going from 14MPG to 65MPG then down to 35MPG then 20s then back up to 35 then 53. It does a wild change like this every 10 seconds! And this is while going a consistent speed!!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
zoinks said:
I've got just over 300 miles on mine, 65% hwy and 35% city and mileage is terrible, it was 22. Filled up and reset the mpg and it's 24.5, still terrible since my '97 3.8L V6 supercharged get's 25.9 on a regular basis. I did notice the transmission being more responsive the last two days...
Your old car was also MUCH smaller and lighter than your new vehicle. Right?

There are lots of owners that do see a pretty decent improvement in power and MPGs as the vehicles break in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
MUCH smaller and lighter...not really.
It is a 1997 Grand Prix GTP sedan, the specs for Grand Prix sedan (without supercharger and spoiler) list the curb weight as 3414 lbs, and is actually 11" longer than the Terrain, but the Terrain is 12" taller.
2011 SLT-2 has a curb weight of 3881 lbs (but I think that's with the 6-cyl?).
At any rate, you need to add 28 lbs for the Curt hitch receiver ::)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yea, the Terrain is a lot heavier than the GTP. The engine has to pull around a brick basically while the 3.8 had a reasonably aerodynamic vehicle to pull.

·
Registered
303 Posts
At 3500 miles I changed the oil with Penzoil Platinum. MPG continues to improve. My highest highway mileage by the DIC so far is 28.9 with tires at 37 psi with temps in the near freezing range. Performance has also improved. I used to consider turning off ECO mode because of the sluggish performance in city driving but now it seems fine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
RSchleder said:
I've found that somewhere between 3,000-5,000 miles I thought someone replaced my V6 engine during the night. The power band/torque increased significantly and the gas mileage also improved. Give your direct injection engine a chance to break-in, you'll be very pleasantly surprised. Trust me, it'll feel like a totally different car after a few thousand miles(NOTE--I can only comment on the V6 however, as that's what I own).
What mpg are you getting now & rough % cruise Control running are you doing for that??
Also, did you switch to synthetic oil at ?? miles??

LW4T
[AWD, V6 : 2,800 miles, 20 mpg at moment. Would like more]

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The city MPG on my 4cyl wasn't great for the first 3-4k miles (17-18mpg)....but now I have over 12k miles on the odo and get around 20mpg which I can live with. The last road trip I took (300 mi round trip, interstate with one big elevation change) I got 28.6mpg which is pretty good considering I had 3 passengers and kept the cruise around 72mph.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Seems that general consensus is mpg begins to improve noticably on the I4 around 3500-4000 miles and improves thereafter. That's also what I've experienced. Our Terrain is at about 4000 miles now.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have not been able to get better than 22mpg for a tank regardless of where/how I drive. I even took a trip up to Detroit for the Thanksgiving game. That equates to about 140 highways miles, granted much of it was 70mph or more. I was still surprised with how poor the highway milage is. I guess with this shape and weight of vehicle, all milage rating are based on 55mph or so.

On the other hand, the worst I have gotten in city driving is around 20mpg which I am very happy with. I am at around 1400 miles, so I am hoping milage improves.

·
Registered
321 Posts
jstpsntym said:
I have not been able to get better than 22mpg for a tank regardless of where/how I drive. I even took a trip up to Detroit for the Thanksgiving game. That equates to about 140 highways miles, granted much of it was 70mph or more. I was still surprised with how poor the highway milage is. I guess with this shape and weight of vehicle, all milage rating are based on 55mph or so.

On the other hand, the worst I have gotten in city driving is around 20mpg which I am very happy with. I am at around 1400 miles, so I am hoping milage improves.
As you know, correct break in is to keep her under 68 mph, except for 5 minutes at a time, until you reach 3000 miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2011 AWD I4 Equinox I purchased 2 weeks ago, drove it off the lot with 6 miles on it. My commute to and from work is 91 miles with 80 of that being interstate driving.

With the cruise set between 66 and 69 MPH and driving normal once I got off the interstate with the ECO mode on I got 25.8 MPG on my first tank (figured with pen and paper, the display said 24.7MPG)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts