GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Do you currently have or plan to use wheel locks?

  • Yes - Lock them up

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - anyone can remove

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do people still steal factory rims? It would seem if someone wants to steal them they will know how to get around the wheel lock. But it may help to keep amateurs from steeling them. And any thief has to know you have the key in the trunk near the spare or in the glove box as you would need it if you get a flat. So they will just take your rims after breaking the window to get the key. You lose twice!

Also, another negative is if you lose the key you are out of luck until you get a replacement.

If you lock your factory rims - which brand/model did you buy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
The rims on our 2010 came with one factory lock on each wheel. But if a thief breaks into our vehicle then if it's the wheels they're after then go for it and unlock them.

Why? Because they would of had to break a window, it would also require jacking it up and if the rims are gone then it's worth making an insurance claim! Besides, we live in a relatively small town/area and I'm sure I would find out if someone was trying to sell a set of Equinox rims, easpecially since I would be looking for a set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
2010Nox said:
The rims on our 2010 came with one factory lock on each wheel.[/color] But if a thief breaks into our vehicle then if it's the wheels they're after then go for it and unlock them.

Why? Because they would of had to break a window, it would also require jacking it up and if the rims are gone then it's worth making an insurance claim! Besides, we live in a relatively small town/area and I'm sure I would find out if someone was trying to sell a set of Equinox rims, easpecially since I would be looking for a set.
Really?
Where does the wheel lock tool fit?
We never got any lock nuts that I'm aware of, I'd better go check again but I would've noticed a lock removal adapter by now?

I tried to buy Lock Nuts for about 6 months after we bought the vehicle.
Not even our dealer could get them, they were always "on backorder".
On their parts site, you had to buy 20 nuts for $170+.
Don't need them that bad!
Heck I only need four and tried our local auto parts stores but they couldn't match the thread as Terrains weren't listed in their books for the most part back then.

Besides, not much is going to stop a good set of vise-grips or whatever else is in a thief's arsenal these days.



Part Number: 17801711

Protect the wheels on your Terrain with this Wheel Lock Package. Includes chrome wheel locks, one wheel lock key tool, chrome lug nuts, a key storage pouch and an I.D. card.Wheel Lock and Nut Package - Chrome (Includes 20 Nuts, 4 Locks and 1 Key)

nstalled:$172.75
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
gearhead said:
Really?
Where does the wheel lock tool fit?
We never got any lock nuts that I'm aware of, I'd better go check again but I would've noticed a lock removal adapter by now?

I tried to buy Lock Nuts for about 6 months after we bought the vehicle.
Not even our dealer could get them, they were always "on backorder".
On their parts site, you had to buy 20 nuts for $170+.
Don't need them that bad!
Heck I only need four and tried our local auto parts stores but they couldn't match the thread as Terrains weren't listed in their books for the most part back then.

Besides, not much is going to stop a good set of vise-grips or whatever else is in a thief's arsenal these days.
They're actually much more shallow than the other nuts and are flush with the recesses in the wheel which would make it very difficult to get a grip on them with a vise grip.

Here's what they look like and I didn't request them on the vehicle they came on it. The only issue I have is that they don't look as good as the actual lug nuts and I'm now wondering where the four actual nut are if these were dealer installed.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
2010Nox said:
I'm now wondering where the four actual nut are if these were dealer installed.
It may be too late now, but you DID pay extra for those wheel locks, meaning the original lugs were yours as well. When I bought my Mazda the dealer insisted on including wheel locks. In that case I insisted they give me the original wheel lugs along with it. I figured they were mine, I paid for them with the car, and although I got strange looks they gave them to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2010Nox said:
^ That does not look good at all. It kind of looks like a tooth in need of a filling. Most have a much cleaner / polished look. Those look like they will get full of dirt.

I'd ask for my factory lug back, as you may need them if the keyed one have an issue. I am sure they have a lot of extras if they are putting them on every vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
On the Terrain we have center caps that hide the bolts :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
The ones that came on my Camaro were crappy. the key kind of chewed up the locks and it made it tough to remove them. I went back to factory lugs and will never do locks again.

Its very inconvenient when you get the tires changed and the shop forgets to put the lock back in your car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Thats why i have 2 keys.

I always used them on my cars and never had any problem with it.


Dave25 said:
The ones that came on my Camaro were crappy. the key kind of chewed up the locks and it made it tough to remove them. I went back to factory lugs and will never do locks again.

Its very inconvenient when you get the tires changed and the shop forgets to put the lock back in your car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
I voted no for 3 reasons..

1. Anyone who really wants the wheels isn't going to let wheel locks stop them...professionals usually have an assortment of keys.

2. I work in a fairly nice area of town and rarely venture into neighborhoods where such activity takes place

3. At home my Nox is always garaged
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time on locks for the Terrain. The only locks I ever had were on my Vettes wheels and I kept the key in a hidden place inside the car. Vette wheels were worth stealing, but not the Terrains.....IMO
If I was that paranoid about getting my wheels stolen, I would buy a motion sensor alarm before buying wheel locks.
Besides I think there are a lot better looking wheels out there to steal then the Terrains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
On the Terrain we have center caps that hide the bolts :)
Yes we do, I'll have to pop the cap off to see if the dealer installed locks and I'l be pissed if they did cuz I don't have a key so i doubt it.

GARYD said:
I wouldn't waste my time on locks for the Terrain. The only locks I ever had were on my Vettes wheels and I kept the key in a hidden place inside the car. Vette wheels were worth stealing, but not the Terrains.....IMO
If I was that paranoid about getting my wheels stolen, I would buy a motion sensor alarm before buying wheel locks.
Besides I think there are a lot better looking wheels out there to steal then the Terrains.
Our 80 vette didn't come with locks ( I put some on) but our 92 did right from the factory.
There was a spot in the glove compartment that the key sat in, a black elastic material strap, right in front of the allen wrench for the one piece top removal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
NoobNox said:
I voted no for 3 reasons..

1. Anyone who really wants the wheels isn't going to let wheel locks stop them...professionals usually have an assortment of keys.

2. I work in a fairly nice area of town[/color] and rarely venture into neighborhoods where such activity takes place

3. At home my Nox is always garaged
While I agree with statements #1 & #3, the statement #2 isn't completely valid. Yes parking your vehicle in a "questionable" neighborhood may increase your theft risk, but I've had a vehicle stolen in broad daylight right from work in a "good" neighborhood.

But wheels, with the exception of perhaps very high value ones, don't really seem to get stolen off vehicles here. Rather the entire vehicle is taken and then destroyed once they're done driving it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
2010Nox said:
While I agree with statements #1 & #3, the statement #2 isn't completely valid. Yes parking your vehicle in a "questionable" neighborhood may increase your theft risk, but I've had a vehicle stolen in broad daylight right from work in a "good" neighborhood.

But wheels, with the exception of perhaps very high value ones, don't really seem to get stolen off vehicles here. Rather the entire vehicle is taken and then destroyed once they're done driving it.
I forgot to mention that the entire facility is fenced and any potential wheel thieves would either have to hop the fence at the back of the lot or check in at the guard house before selecting the wheels they wanted. ;) In any case, even though the stock 17" wheels are pretty nice...I don't think they are the most sought after item at the ghetto "discount" wheel shops..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
gearhead, I bet theives also knew the key was in the glove compartment. That's why I hid mine somewhere else. I also had T-Top locks on my 81. Those were so easy to steal, a lot easier then the wheels. I did have all the plastic center caps stolen though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
I also forgot to add that I highly doubt anyone wants to steal my factory 17" wheels. If you have 20" + you might want locks, even the factory 19s, but no need to protect factory basic wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
I have the Factory 19" and they came with locks. dont know if thats a dealer choice or all the wheel options come with them. I didnt even ask, they just put them on and gave me the key.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Don't worry,you paid for !


wrusprod said:
I have the Factory 19" and they came with locks. dont know if thats a dealer choice or all the wheel options come with them. I didnt even ask, they just put them on and gave me the key.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Correction : you need them more than others.

These wheels cost a lot at the dealer and since you have the wheels that equip the larger amount of vehicle a lot of people will seach for them as the time pass... scratched wheel... damaged wheels in hole... stolen wheels... The demand will grow...


Dave25 said:
I also forgot to add that I highly doubt anyone wants to steal my factory 17" wheels. If you have 20" + you might want locks, even the factory 19s, but no need to protect factory basic wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
wrusprod, Must be dealer install. I have the 19" chrome wheels, but no locks.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top