GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has installed a Police scanner, CB radio, or Ham radio yet in their '10-'11 Equinox or Terrain (non-Nav)? It seems there could be a few models out there that may actually fit quite nicely into the lower cubby area behind the shift stalk, or perhaps even mounted on the headliner somewhere? Wonder which path would be best to run the antenna cables, and which antenna looks best on the Nox or has good performance without being too tall for parking garages?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Installed a VHF/UHF ham rig.

Antenna: On "L" bracket mounted on passenger side fender in hood gap. NMO mount, Maldol ex-107B antenna.

Transceiver: ICOM IC-208H. Control head mounted under CD slot, main radio under passenger seat.

Wiring: Drilled hole in the firewall under glovebox. Used grommet to protect wires, ran wires to battery and antenna.

This transceiver runs 50 watts and I have noted no problems with the vehicles electrical systems. GM seems to done a great job with EMI issues.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice RVHAM! Thanks for sharing the info! Upload pics sometime, would like to see it in action! How did you secure your ICOM IC-208H to the vehicle? Standard mount that came with the unit? Double sided tape? Any drilling required? Finally where do you keep the microphone? Thanks again, sounds like you did it right, enjoy!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Radio and contol head are mounted using velcro type hook and loop tape.
"L" bracket for antenna is mounted with sheet metal screws.
Microphone sits in the "cup holder", until I find a better spot.
I will have to do some reading on how to post pictures on the forum.

The one drilled hole is in the firewall for routing the power and antenna wires.
Interconnect cables are routed under the carpet and behind the cover panels on the dash.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the additional details!

To post pics all you need to do is copy them to your computer somewhere (the desktop, for example) then just go to http://imageshack.us/ and click browse, a window will pop up, just find/select the picture you want to share and press OK. Then click the big blue Upload now button. (Once it's done it might pop up and ask you to register but just close that little window). The last step is to *highlight and copy the information within the "Link" box, and simply *paste right here on the forums (click on the third button from the left for Insert Image) and paste the data. That's it!

*Highlight by clicking/holding and dragging the mouse along all text, on Image shack it highlights everything for you automatically if you just simply click inside the Link box.

*To copy (be sure it's highlighted) and right-click the mouse and choose copy. Alternatively you can use keyboard shortcut CTRL+C.
*To paste (be sure to click somewhere you can actually type/paste to) and right-click the mouse and choose paste. Alternatively you can use keyboard shortcut CTRL+V.

If this walk-through helps, I may end up starting a new thread to share these steps with all board members, so please give some feedback on this process if you have any issues with the steps. Thanks and we look forward to seeing those pics!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Problem with imageshack.us, and or my computer. When imageshack came up, also something took over my computer and acted like a virus scanning system. I could only stop the event by manually turning off my computer. I have scaned my computer for virus/trojen etc. and nothing showed up.

I downsized some pictures using Kodak software and trying to insert them in a post.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think you need at least 10 post to be able to insert images... you now since your last post have 10.

You can try again.

RVHAM said:
Problem with imageshack.us, and or my computer. When imageshack came up, also something took over my computer and acted like a virus scanning system. I could only stop the event by manually turning off my computer. I have scaned my computer for virus/trojen etc. and nothing showed up.

I downsized some pictures using Kodak software and trying to insert them in a post.

·
Registered
978 Posts
RVHAM you may still have pic posting issues as the requirement is only 5 posts

I don't use image hosting sites...so if you have the pictures on your PC...here is a step by step to upload them:

When you download the pic to your PC (or laptop) and are ready to post it...

Write your comment/s in the reply box like normal....then...below the black box you will see in white letters...the following...

"Additional Options... "

Place your mouse cursor over those words and "left click"...
You will then see...

"Attach: ____________________ [browse] (more attachments)

Click on "browse"...find your picture and attach...
If you want to add more than 1 picture...click over the (more attachments) and another "Attach" box will appear

Max of 3 photos per reply...

When you see pictures attached this way on the forum...they appear small...but if you click on them...and the user has attached a picture with a large size format...the pictures will expand

When you are trying to show detail to us...a large file will show more detail and expand bigger

FWIW...a large picture on a forum is usually around 1000 pixels wide (plus or minus)
Different folks will have different opinions about file size...but...if you attach something which is too small (like 250 pixels wide)...we won't be able to discern detail

·
Registered
56 Posts
Attached is one picture showing the antenna installation. I will try a few more pictures when I see how this works.

Thanks Mochanox.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Attached are pictures of the ICOM 208H control head and the wires through the firewall for power and antenna.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heyyyy look at that! Nice work! I like how you can still use the CD player, and have what appears to be plenty of spare room for storage in that cubby. How do you like your ICOM? What kind of range do you get out of that bad boy with that antenna? Thanks again!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MOCHANOX said:
RVHAM you may still have pic posting issues as the requirement is only 5 posts

I don't use image hosting sites...so if you have the pictures on your PC...here is a step by step to upload them:

When you download the pic to your PC (or laptop) and are ready to post it...

Write your comment/s in the reply box like normal....then...below the black box you will see in white letters...the following...

"Additional Options... "

Place your mouse cursor over those words and "left click"...
You will then see...

"Attach: ____________________ [browse] (more attachments)

Click on "browse"...find your picture and attach...
If you want to add more than 1 picture...click over the (more attachments) and another "Attach" box will appear

Max of 3 photos per reply...

When you see pictures attached this way on the forum...they appear small...but if you click on them...and the user has attached a picture with a large size format...the pictures will expand

When you are trying to show detail to us...a large file will show more detail and expand bigger

FWIW...a large picture on a forum is usually around 1000 pixels wide (plus or minus)
Different folks will have different opinions about file size...but...if you attach something which is too small (like 250 pixels wide)...we won't be able to discern detail
Nice! Thanks for going through the trouble to explain all that. We should merge this info some time and start a new 'how to post pics' thread if one does not already exist. Didn't know this site had built in image hosting capabilities. Guess that's why I see so many broken/missing images in older posts. They probably only keep it hosted for x amount of months.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The ICOM ham rig works great. Antenna and the 50 watt output gives good range to the repeater sites.

The rig also receives outside the ham bands, so I can also scan the public service bands. It will receive the public service analog 800 Mhz systems, but not follow frequency changing these systems do between transmissions.

Problem, the velcro mount for the control head has come loose during high inside temperatures.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RVHAM said:
Problem, the velcro mount for the control head has come loose during high inside temperatures.
Did you use alcohol to clean (then let dry) the surface area before installing the velcro adhesive strip? You may need to upgrade to an industrial line of velcro adhesive which does well at higher temperatures. I believe they use an acrylic based adhesive. Alternatively you could pick up adhesion promoter which should help it stick, shouldn't damage the finish either. Good luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Reako

I will try your process to improve the velcro hold when I reinstall the rig.

I removed the rig so it would not be damaged by the dealer working on my "inoperative rear defogger" problem. Their fix is to charge the battery and some battery chargers have spikes that may damage the electronics. I will be making my third visit to the dealer for this problem on Monday.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for all the info - newbee here - my nox is on order. I will be using a Yaesu FT-90R dual bander, plus sometimes a ICOM 706 HF'er. I, too, plan to put the vhf/uhf antenna on the fender/hood, and have that exact antenna. Now where to put the HF antenna? 73, Jim K9KUZ

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jim

You will enjoy the nox when it arrives. Another ham on this forum put a 1/4 whip on the roof for VHF. I have not found a solid place to put a larger antenna for HF yet. When you get to that point, please share the info here.

Nice Corvette in the picture. My Corvette is a 1965. I am the original owner. I drilled and mounted a ball mount through the rear bumper. HF antenna is a center loaded whip. Changed the loading coils for each band. HF rig was a Heathkit HW-100. I think it had 20 tubes in it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you think an Icom IC-2200H would fit in the cubby? I can't find my tape measure. Found one for sale locally at a good price. Is it not a good idea to have the full unit in the cubby or would it be alright? (heat issues?)

Dimensions
(projections not included)
140(W) × 40(H) × 146(D) mm;
5 1/2(W) × 1 9/16(H) × 7 3/4(D) in

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
reako said:
Do you think an Icom IC-2200H would fit in the cubby?
The cubby is 5 1/2" wide at the top edge, only gets smaller as it gets deeper. Even the bottom front edge is only 5". So, that thing is definitely not going to work. I need to look into getting a model with a detachable/remote faceplate and hide the power supply under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Still awaiting the delivery of my NOX. But, for those rigs that are a little too wide: why not cut into the sides of the cubby to provide more width.? I will probably put some holes into the rear of the cubby for air circ., I also plan to elevate the rig a bit to allow for air flow under it. The power leads (for 2 rigs) and coax (also for 2) will come thru the back of the cubby. This worked out FB on my Camry. Well, warmer weather is almost here, and the other Chevy will hit the road soon, and then there's just too much FUN to worry about any ham stuff.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts