GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a huge problem my car 2008 equinox is causing me a head scratcher. My radiator fan isnt engaging when the temperature raises and the engine starts to over heat. I've replaced the temperature sensor replaced the relay checked all the wiring on the fans they are good. Everything seems in order I had to result to rigging the relay to stay open while i drive so the fan always runs so it doesn't overheat, so I'm plugging and unplugging the relay whenever I drive. This car has been nothing but a headache since I bought it. Ive read and tried so many things and I'm at a lose. I need any and all ideas please!!!!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That might be what's not telling the radiator fan to turn on....its weird cause when I rigged the relay the fan works but something isnt telling the fan the engine is getting hot and turning the fan on
Thanks for the idea I'm gonna check it out

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That might be what's not telling the radiator fan to turn on....its weird cause when I rigged the relay the fan works but something isnt telling the fan the engine is getting hot and turning the fan on
Is that different from the coolant temperature sensor?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Is that different from the coolant temperature sensor?
Appears to be. Here's the CTS (this is the 3.4L engine?):

Rock Auto also lists this odd-looking part ... called a "Cooling Fan Controller"

P.S. You should delete that duplicate post you just added, then try to see if you can edit the post title on this thread. If not, and you really want it updated, click on your Avatar at top right, then click on Conversations, and send a Private Message to "admin2" asking "Cricket" to change it for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appears to be. Here's the CTS (this is the 3.4L engine?):

Rock Auto also lists this odd-looking part ... called a "Cooling Fan Controller"

P.S. You should delete that duplicate post you just added, then try to see if you can edit the post title on this thread. If not, and you really want it updated, click on your Avatar at top right, then click on Conversations, and send a Private Message to "admin2" asking "Cricket" to change it for you.
Yes it's the 3.4l I replaced the temperature sensor. I'm just looking for the part at rock auto and autozone and can't find it anywhere. Is it called anything else

·
Registered
12 Posts
You really need to find a wiring diagram for a 2007 with a 3.4 engine. Then you can determine what controls the actual turn on of the fan. That temp sensor is being monitored by something and turning on the fan. What is it and how isit wired? I have 2018 through 2020 diagrams but nothing for 2007.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I'm trying everything the only thing I came up with is rigging the AC fan to blow constantly while the car is so on. Which is a temporary fix that I don't like doing. I replaced the temperature sensor all 3 fan relays, checked the wiring for the fans which check out good. Everything looks good but for some reason it's not turning on when the engine heats up

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
No I haven't, I don't have a scanner
Here is something to think about.
If by rigging the relay in the fuseblock and the fan(s) then turn on, your problem is more likely to be between the rigged relay and the ECM.
The ECM, with the input of it's sensors, turns the fans on and off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is something to think about.
If by rigging the relay in the fuseblock and the fan(s) then turn on, your problem is more likely to be between the rigged relay and the ECM.
The ECM, with the input of it's sensors, turns the fans on and off.
Yeah because the fans work and the relays are good it's just something not telling the fans to turn on when the temp gets up. And like I said I changed the temp sensor....its a real head scratcher

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah because the fans work and the relays are good it's just something not telling the fans to turn on when the temp gets up. And like I said I changed the temp sensor....its a real head scratcher
The fans are generally programmed to come on at a much hotter temperature than the thermostat, usually above 210 F. Have you let it get that warm? Normally the fans also come on as soon as you start the air conditioner, does that happen?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure I have to get my ac recharged. I tried the bottle but I need the lines evacuated because there's negative pressure or something like that

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The fans are generally programmed to come on at a much hotter temperature than the thermostat, usually above 210 F. Have you let it get that warm? Normally the fans also come on as soon as you start the air conditioner, does that happen?
Could it be the thermostat

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Could it be the thermostat
No. You might want to pay for a short-term online subscription to AllData ($29.99 for one year) to get the wiring diagrams, plus anything else you can download or snapshot in this timeframe.

Or maybe this (?) ... although sometimes Haynes combines multiple models in a book and what they cover for a particular thing may not be specific to your model. Maybe go into an Auto Parts store to see if you can thumb through one first?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
No. You might want to pay for a short-term online subscription to AllData ($29.99 for one year) to get the wiring diagrams, plus anything else you can download or snapshot in this timeframe.

Or maybe this (?) ... although sometimes Haynes combines multiple models in a book and what they cover for a particular thing may not be specific to your model. Maybe go into an Auto Parts store to see if you can thumb through one first?

Or have an auto parts store scan for codes, they usually do it for free.

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
559 Posts
Part store may only scan P codes, maybe ABS also but a full all 4 code families scan is needed to rule out any CAN system issues. Something could show up in the U codes.
Computer on tires.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts