GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes (never when idle) on bumpy roads I hear a plastic rattling sound from the inside of the dash (sounds like it is above where the glove box is, near the vent). I took it to the dealer for an early oil change and they took my appt, but didn't get the car in until 40 min after my appt schedule. They couldn't find it initially and told me to come back when I had more time.

I have a 4cyl LTZ 2011 AWD and it has less than 1200 miles. Other than that, the car is pretty good, but this is an annoying sound. Any ideas?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Similar noise here if you are referring to the upper (passenger window) vent on TOP of dashboard.

In my case, when that vent heats up (vehicle parked outside; direct sunlight through the windshield) something in the vicinity of that vent (be it a retainer clip, or the plastic vent housing itself) heats up, expands and rattles. Never happens to me in morning; only late afternoon after vehicle has been parked in heat outside (I'm in Arizona). My dealer was stumped so I followed advice on the Edmunds Equinox forum and insulated (using foam pipe rap) that entire vent best I could (easy to access; pop-off glove box and and reach-up inside dash to upper vent housing). According to a poster on Edmunds, a dealer did a similar fix as described, above, as well as replaced various retaining clips and that individual hasn't posted-up about the noise returning in over a year. Obviously, my clips are factory/original. Couple of weeks have passed and no noise/vibration and it hit 110 here yesterday.

Of course, now that I typed this reply I'm jinxed. :facepalm:

Try and isolate/rap that upper vent; no tools needed as glove box pops right off. Carefully!

Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd feel better about the dealership doing it, to be honest. At 1200 miles, it is their problem. I can mention that to them, though. Mine actually appears to come from the area closer to the vent just inside the glove box, but I assume the same clip issue is the culprit. I can't imagine they didn't use something soft surrounding the clips, though.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I am glad to see that you are planning to work with your local dealership regarding your concern. Please feel free to keep me posted. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Forgot to mention (I can't take credit for discovery; that goes to someone else - name unknown to me) there are 2 small screws inside the upper lip of glove box. Another owner reported these 2-screws were not tightened sufficiently from factory causing a rattle. If your problem hasn't been resolved yet via dealer you may wish to check these screws; simply open glove box and you'll see both screws inside the upper lip.

·
Registered
949 Posts
OH MY GOODness! I have this SAME little rattle noise- somewhere in the dash above glove box, only when the dash gets hot. After the AC runs for 5-10 minutes, it stops. It is DEFinitely driving me bonkers. Like, insane kind of bonkers.

ArizonaNOX- (assuming the obvious, that you're in Arizona) I'm in Texas, my car obviously doesn't like triple digit heat every day. Is your fix still holding up?

Mark54g- Have you taken it to the dealer/tried this fix yet?

My 'nox is going in tomorrow morning for an unrelated issue, so I'm going to tell them about this stupid rattle too, maybe they'll get it worked out and I won't have to worry about accidentally breaking it...or going insane, you know, whichever, haha. I'll clue them into this possible fix too, see what they say.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also had the noise that was resolved by tightening the 2 screws Arizona mentioned. I believe they are 7mm.

·
Registered
56 Posts
On Tapatalk right now; don't have time to search, copy, paste related link; in addition to 2 screws inside upper lip of glove box (definitely tighten those up), there are 3-4 additional hex screws up and in front of the box attaching it to flimsy support braces. Here again, I cannot take credit for this find; another member found them loose and posted-up. Also tighten these hex screws or have your dealer check them. Mine were all loose. If your rattle is coming from glove box vicinity, these screws are most likely the culprit. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Sumr616 said:
OH MY GOODness! I have this SAME little rattle noise- somewhere in the dash above glove box, only when the dash gets hot. After the AC runs for 5-10 minutes, it stops. It is DEFinitely driving me bonkers. Like, insane kind of bonkers.

ArizonaNOX- (assuming the obvious, that you're in Arizona) I'm in Texas, my car obviously doesn't like triple digit heat every day. Is your fix still holding up?

Mark54g- Have you taken it to the dealer/tried this fix yet?

My 'nox is going in tomorrow morning for an unrelated issue, so I'm going to tell them about this stupid rattle too, maybe they'll get it worked out and I won't have to worry about accidentally breaking it...or going insane, you know, whichever, haha. I'll clue them into this possible fix too, see what they say.
Please feel free to keep me posted regarding what you find at the dealer. You can contact me via private message as well. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
Please feel free to keep me posted regarding what you find at the dealer. You can contact me via private message as well. Thank you in advance.

Thanks... I dropped my car off at 7AM Wednesday morning (yesterday) for 3 issues, 2 of them are in their 3rd attempt at fixing:

1. The tapping noise discussed here
2. Start-up noise that was fixed in the first week of June but returned this past weekend, 3rd repair attempt (did not hear it at all for a month after the fix)
3. Check engine light, accompanied by rough idle, rough shifting and near stalling while accelerating from a stop- this is the third time it's been in for THIS issue, first visit was on July 1st, second visit on July 7th

So, dropped off at 7AM yesterday, no call for any kind of update for me yet, and it is now 6:40 pm....they've had two days so far, they told me not to expect any call yesterday, that it would probably be today before they got a chance to look at it, but still, no call. Will call early in the morning...they made it sound like it would probably be in the shop for at least a week for the other issues, might be calling a GM Engineer to come look at it.

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
Sumr616 said:
Thanks... I dropped my car off at 7AM Wednesday morning (yesterday) for 3 issues, 2 of them are in their 3rd attempt at fixing:

1. The tapping noise discussed here
2. Start-up noise that was fixed in the first week of June but returned this past weekend, 3rd repair attempt (did not hear it at all for a month after the fix)
3. Check engine light, accompanied by rough idle, rough shifting and near stalling while accelerating from a stop- this is the third time it's been in for THIS issue, first visit was on July 1st, second visit on July 7th

So, dropped off at 7AM yesterday, no call for any kind of update for me yet, and it is now 6:40 pm....they've had two days so far, they told me not to expect any call yesterday, that it would probably be today before they got a chance to look at it, but still, no call. Will call early in the morning...they made it sound like it would probably be in the shop for at least a week for the other issues, might be calling a GM Engineer to come look at it.
You certainly have more patience than I do. I would be all over my dealer if they told me that - at least I think so.

·
Registered
949 Posts
RIT333 said:
You certainly have more patience than I do. I would be all over my dealer if they told me that - at least I think so.
If you mean that they said they wouldn't get to it that day- I didn't have an appointment, I just showed up, so I could understand.

If you mean that they said they would be most likely be keeping it for more than a day or two- He's stumped. This service manager is at least in his fifties, he genuinely looked stumped. He said he'd be calling his "technical solution center" or something like that, and if they had no solution to try, then he'd be calling an Engineer to come look at it. So, Yea, you can say I was a little PO'ed, but it at least makes me feel better that they'll probably be getting an Engineer to come down, as long as it works out as well as I hope it does...knock on wood....

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
Sumr616 said:
If you mean that they said they wouldn't get to it that day- I didn't have an appointment, I just showed up, so I could understand.

If you mean that they said they would be most likely be keeping it for more than a day or two- He's stumped. This service manager is at least in his fifties, he genuinely looked stumped. He said he'd be calling his "technical solution center" or something like that, and if they had no solution to try, then he'd be calling an Engineer to come look at it. So, Yea, you can say I was a little PO'ed, but it at least makes me feel better that they'll probably be getting an Engineer to come down, as long as it works out as well as I hope it does...knock on wood....
Yeah - you're right. Certainly beats the "Yeah - they all do that" answer !

Good luck, and report back the results !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts