GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new Terrain and had the dealer install winter tires and wheels... Went to take them off today and found them extremely loose... 65 ft/lbs,manual says 140... When I went to put them back on I notice a plastic spacer either in the wheel or on the hub,looks it it meant to center and keep the alloy wheels fron touching the hub and corroding. They appear too big for the center in the steel wheel, i had to kick the wheel very hard to get them off the hubs and the unit is less than a month old...

Also, I tried to torque the wheels to 140 and with the plastic spacer,it seems to never get tight,even split one...

Are these spacers only for the alloy wheels? It would certainly look that way... or maybe a different one for the steel wheels...?

Thanx... rick..

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
rick7343 said:
Bought a new Terrain and had the dealer install winter tires and wheels... Went to take them off today and found them extremely loose... 65 ft/lbs,manual says 140... When I went to put them back on I notice a plastic spacer either in the wheel or on the hub,looks it it meant to center and keep the alloy wheels fron touching the hub and corroding. They appear too big for the center in the steel wheel, i had to kick the wheel very hard to get them off the hubs and the unit is less than a month old...

Also, I tried to torque the wheels to 140 and with the plastic spacer,it seems to never get tight,even split one...

Are these spacers only for the alloy wheels? It would certainly look that way... or maybe a different one for the steel wheels...?

Thanx... rick..
Not sure about the centering rings (I think that is what you are describing), but 140 ft-lbs seems VERY high for a wheel torque.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RIT333 said:
Not sure about the centering rings (I think that is what you are describing), but 140 ft-lbs seems VERY high for a wheel torque.
THought it would be 100 like my van and pickup,but the manual says 140... just looked at a 2010 manual online... it says 125... felt like the studs were not seated fully into the hubs also... from snug,they took a couple turns to get hard and then to the torque,,,

·
Registered
626 Posts
The 2011 manual online says 140. That's a lot of torque. :eek: Anybody have experience yet removing the lug nuts?

·
Registered
207 Posts
2011 Terrain manual, page 12-3
140 lb ft
190 N*m

1 - 6 of 6 Posts