GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Plastic Exterior Trim Dressing

40K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  INNOCNT 
#1 ·
Is anybody dressing the plastic trim on the lower sides, front spoiler and rear with any detailing products?

#2 ·
Yep, the stuff I use is called "back to black" but I'm not sure who makes it. (and too lazy to go to the garage ;D) It's really for restoring sun faded black trim, but it works great to prevent it from happening as well..

#3 ·
NoobNox said:
Yep, the stuff I use is called "back to black" but I'm not sure who makes it. (and too lazy to go to the garage ;D) It's really for restoring sun faded black trim, but it works great to prevent it from happening as well..
Google is for when getting up to look is just not an option. ;D
http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06108.html
Stuff works good but I like Meguiars Ultimate Protectant dash and trim restorer

3rd one down
http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Consumer (Meguiar's Brand)>Car Interior Care>Vinyl/Rubber/Plastic Protectants&sectionID=12101

#4 ·
Z_Ghost said:
Google is for when getting up to look is just not an option. ;D
http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06108.html
Stuff works good but I like Meguiars Ultimate Protectant dash and trim restorer

3rd one down
http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Consumer (Meguiar's Brand)>Car Interior Care>Vinyl/Rubber/Plastic Protectants&sectionID=12101
Back to Black was also mentioned on a different thread for getting the trim back to normal after getting some staining waxes on the plastic. Maguiars is a great name as well.

Has anybody ever heard of "Allbrite Car Care Products"? They make something called "V6" and "Nu It". Also, there is a "PRO" product called S-94 Wet Look Exterior Dressing?

#5 ·
wbassnp007 said:
Is anybody dressing the plastic trim on the lower sides, front spoiler and rear with any detailing products?
Yes. I've been using Meguiar's Natural Shine Vinyl & Rubber Protectant. I'm hoping to avoid what I've seen on so many Chevy Avalanche's, with the faded black trim.

G
#6 ·
TheCrow1994 said:
Yes. I've been using Meguiar's Natural Shine Vinyl & Rubber Protectant. I'm hoping to avoid what I've seen on so many Chevy Avalanche's, with the faded black trim.
I hope GM has learned from those mistakes (the Aztec another lol)....

I use Plexus. Its a plastic cleaner/polish, and works great for this. You can also use a finish enhancer products (they are designed for plastic products)

#7 ·
I applied the "PRO S-94 EXTERIOR DRESSING" to all of the exterior plastic before waxing. No wax residue was noted after detailing was complete. I checked a small area without S-94 and found the unsightly wax residue. Went over the area with S-94 and the residue disappeared.

#8 ·
Another vote for Mother's Back to Black. I've been using it for a few years on all the exterior black trim. It supposed to be good on all color exterior platic trim, but I've only used it on black plastic.

#9 ·
Another option may be 303 Aerospace protectant. I've used it for years (dad showed it to me as Class A RV dealers love using the stuff) It is also highly thought of by AMCO Manufacturing Corporation is the world's largest manufacturer of convertible tops.
In Phoenix the sun EATS black trim. A quick wipe down after a wash and it looks like new. Even the dealer guys comment how good my vehicles look when I take them in for oil changes ($17 per change)
Here is a link to who recommends it, a pretty impressive list. Mothers may be better for some black things, but overall this one has really kept several of my vehicles looking great while they take quite a beating from the sun and weather.
http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=48

#10 ·
inphoenix said:
Another option may be 303 Aerospace protectant. I've used it for years (dad showed it to me as Class A RV dealers love using the stuff) It is also highly thought of by AMCO Manufacturing Corporation is the world's largest manufacturer of convertible tops.
In Phoenix the sun EATS black trim. A quick wipe down after a wash and it looks like new. Even the dealer guys comment how good my vehicles look when I take them in for oil changes ($17 per change)
Here is a link to who recommends it, a pretty impressive list. Mothers may be better for some black things, but overall this one has really kept several of my vehicles looking great while they take quite a beating from the sun and weather.
http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=48
I've used 303 Aerospace Protectant on my boat's vinyl seats and love it. I've also used it in my tires occassinally, but it really doesn't blacken the tires very well. I haven't tried it on other parts of the car yet mainly because I still have Meguiar's #40 Vinyl and Rubber cleaner and Mother's Back to Black for vinyl/plastic.

#11 ·
DavidPJ said:
I've used 303 Aerospace Protectant on my boat's vinyl seats and love it. I've also used it in my tires occassinally, but it really doesn't blacken the tires very well.
I think you get the award for having the cleanest vehicle. I never heard of anyone protecting the inside of their tires, and then complaining that is is not black enough ! Do you have lights inside your tires ? Sorry for picking on you - I know what you meant, and I also make mistakes. PLEASE do not be offended - I just found it funny. LOL

#12 ·
DavidPJ said:
I've used 303 Aerospace Protectant on my boat's vinyl seats and love it. I've also used it in my tires occassinally, but it really doesn't blacken the tires very well. I haven't tried it on other parts of the car yet mainly because I still have Meguiar's #40 Vinyl and Rubber cleaner and Mother's Back to Black for vinyl/plastic.
I like my tires to shine more than what the 303 does so I use Meguiar's tire gel. The 303 does a terrific job on trim, the shine is good not too glossy and it really offsets the sun damage so the trim looks like new. 303 INSIDE the tires makes them roll better as there is better contact between the tire and the rim. ;D

(had to do the last one)

#13 ·
RIT333 said:
I think you get the award for having the cleanest vehicle. I never heard of anyone protecting the inside of their tires, and then complaining that is is not black enough ! Do you have lights inside your tires ? Sorry for picking on you - I know what you meant, and I also make mistakes. PLEASE do not be offended - I just found it funny. LOL
Yes, there's been much discussion on the benefits of treating the inside of the tire with a friction reducing compound such as 303. With less air friction inside the tire, the tire heats less and maintains it's pressure more consistently and longer. I found an increase of 3 mpg by simply spraying the inside of the tires on every tire rotation. The tires also last longer too. You'll find these discussions typically with topics concerning nitrogen filled tires. The two techonologies work smoothly together. ;)

Now that's a scarrrry discussion. Happy Halloween everyone and next time I'll be sure to proofread my messages before posting!

#14 ·
DavidPJ said:
Yes, there's been much discussion on the benefits of treating the inside of the tire with a friction reducing compound such as 303. With less air friction inside the tire, the tire heats less and maintains it's pressure more consistently and longer. I found an increase of 3 mpg by simply spraying the inside of the tires on every tire rotation.
Spraying inside the tires gives you 3 mpg??? :eek:

#18 ·
Mrs. MOCHANOX said:
Refinish/Restorer. This is great stuff. :)
Indeed...

303 products are very good but wash off rather quickly and may streak with exposure to rain etc

Back to Black does the same over time and does NOT impregnate as some believe, it is also a topical dressing

We own an Avalanche and have tried them all...

Refinish Restorer is by far the best IMHO

There is a consensus that this product is a Varnish/Linseed oil based product
It IS expensive
It DOES last a long long time...over a year between applications
It leaves a HARD (almost like clear nail polish) shiny finish to moldings
It requires a very small amount for coverage-one can will last years on the NOX
It smells really bad and should only be used in a well ventilated area
It needs time to dry between application and driving (a couple hours at least)
It is amazing

Here is a link to order...

http://yhst-13811118617756.stores.yahoo.net/carere1l.html

I included a pic of our Avalanche so you can see what this stuff looks like
FYI...Our Av is a 2004 which we have had for 7 years and IS NOT garaged
I think the picture speaks for itself...

The pic expands...how it expands depends on your browser

Attachments

#19 ·
MOCHANOX said:
Indeed...

303 products are very good but wash off rather quickly and may streak with exposure to rain etc

Back to Black does the same over time and does NOT impregnate as some believe, it is also a topical dressing

We own an Avalanche and have tried them all...

Refinish Restorer is by far the best IMHO

There is a consensus that this product is a Varnish/Linseed oil based product
It IS expensive
It DOES last a long long time...over a year between applications
It leaves a HARD (almost like clear nail polish) shiny finish to moldings
It requires a very small amount for coverage-one can will last years on the NOX
It smells really bad and should only be used in a well ventilated area
It needs time to dry between application and driving (a couple hours at least)
It is amazing

Here is a link to order...

http://yhst-13811118617756.stores.yahoo.net/carere1l.html

I included a pic of our Avalanche so you can see what this stuff looks like
FYI...Our Av is a 2004 which we have had for 7 years and IS NOT garaged
I think the picture speaks for itself...

The pic expands...how it expands depends on your browser
DAYum that thing look TOUGH. Honesty I was never a big fan of the look of the Avalanche but I guess I have just never seen one done right! Nice work!

#20 ·
Thank you...

Aside from some minor pinstriping...the Mrs (who is also a Mechanic) and I did all the work...
from conception to final build...the list is very very long

#23 ·
inphoenix said:
I like my tires to shine more than what the 303 does so I use Meguiar's tire gel. The 303 does a terrific job on trim, the shine is good not too glossy and it really offsets the sun damage so the trim looks like new. 303 INSIDE the tires makes them roll better as there is better contact between the tire and the rim. ;D

(had to do the last one)
I use 303 on my truck tonneau cover and love it. I was wondering if anybody was using it for the plastic trim on the Terrain. I don't really want it to be dark black or use any glossy dressings, I just don't want it to fade out over time like the old avalanche/aztec.

#24 ·
jblaylock said:
I use 303 on my truck tonneau cover and love it. I was wondering if anybody was using it for the plastic trim on the Terrain. I don't really want it to be dark black or use any glossy dressings, I just don't want it to fade out over time like the old avalanche/aztec.
A lot of us here use 303. It does a good job and keeps things looking natural.

Good stuff.

#25 ·
personally i am partial to a comapny called Adam's Polishes because they provide about every product you will need to fully detail your daily driver or even your show car. the product that would help with this is called Adam's Super VRT... love this tuff it workls great immediatelyand lasts long. look into themthey are American made and have great customer/technical support. pm me if you ahve any questions about any products they offer... i have pretty much everything they sell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.