GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought our 2011 Equinox and I cannot for the life of me get the Bluetooth voice commands to recognize my phonebook names. Does anyone know if there is something I'm missing? I've just paired my phone and I can call using voice commands but only if I say each number in the phone number! This sucks! My new VW works like a charm. No setup other than pairing.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.682102,-88.094495

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the same issue with my SRX (I do have the Nav). I was bewildered. Someone suggested that I simply delete my phone from the bluetooth and re-pair it again. Sure enough, when I did that the phone book from my phone was loaded. I don't recall if there was a step in the re-pairing process that had me load phonebook? And maybe that wasn't done the first time? But I have my phonebook loaded now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't think there is a step where you have to add the phone book. It should just show up when the phone is connected via bluetooth/make updates to any changed contact or added name. Maybe it just didn't get the phonebook the first time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I do not have the Nav system, and here is what I do, not sure what if the phonebook will store anywhere without the nave system
- push the hands free icon
- when it says ready, say "bluetooth"
- then it will say "bluetooth ready" , then you say "voice"
- you will hear your phone saying whatever command it does to prompt you. then say "call John Doe"
- you will hear "call John Doe" and the phone will make the call.

You must have a phone that is bluetooth accessable, and has voice command, but it is pretty simple after a few tries.
Good luck!
If anyone knows another way without the Nav, please share.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't have the Nav. When my introductory OnStar cell phone minutes expired, I paired my Verizon LG cell phone, which I named Verizon in the 'Nox. When I make a call, I press the call icon on the steering wheel, and when prompted, just say "call Bill" if Bill is the name in the LG phone directory. The system responds with "calling Bill with Verizon". It calls by whatever first name I have in my LG phone. I've never tried to display the list of entries on my display - can it be done?

Late addition - December 2011 - now my hands free doesn't work right. Now I have to say "bluetooth", then "voice", then it will use my cell phone's audio recognition to allow me to call by saying the name. The original way, was press the button, say "call", and at the prompt I would say the name as it was listed in my cell phone. Now this method will only permit me to say the digits in the numbers. I go into the dealer's next week. I hope that they know bluetooth, and I also hope that it's under warranty (2011 bought in Feb of 2011).

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Old Salt said:
I don't have the Nav. When my introductory OnStar cell phone minutes expired, I paired my Verizon LG cell phone, which I named Verizon in the 'Nox. When I make a call, I press the call icon on the steering wheel, and when prompted, just say "call Bill" if Bill is the name in the LG phone directory. The system responds with "calling Bill with Verizon". It calls by whatever first name I have in my LG phone. I've never tried to display the list of entries on my display - can it be done?
I would be happy to look into this for you as well with the last eight of your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same problem with my old clunky iPhone3G.

How do I re-pair my phone? It's frustating because when I say the phone number to dial it will recognize and display the name on the radio, but if I try to say "Parents" it tells me to try again.

I also notice that I get a "this device isn't fully supported..." message on my iPhone when I connect it to the radio via the USB connector. Is my problem related to the iPhone being an older 3G model?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Family Man28 said:
I have the same problem with my old clunky iPhone3G.

How do I re-pair my phone? It's frustating because when I say the phone number to dial it will recognize and display the name on the radio, but if I try to say "Parents" it tells me to try again.

I also notice that I get a "this device isn't fully supported..." message on my iPhone when I connect it to the radio via the USB connector. Is my problem related to the iPhone being an older 3G model?
Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? It may be that this is a software issue. I would recommend contacting them for a diagnosis. Please feel free to keep me posted. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had to use the store function in onstar for numbers and nametags in my phone book. Once in the onstar menu it will respond to names. This is for phones without voice recognition.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I posted in September that the voice commands would access my name tags in my cell phone directory, without having to load them into the 'Nox. With a recent automatically downloaded update to the OnStar bluetooth software, which was supposed to ONLY fix a dropped-call problem, this feature has been disabled on most, if not all cell phones. The owners manual is no longer applicable for this function. Also, my cell phone has been dropped from the "approved" list. I went to the dealer, and they had the same problem on my car and new cars on the lot, using both my phone and theirs (which are newer). The service tech phoned the GM reps while I was in the car with him. The GM rep could only discuss what he saw on his computer screen - he knew nada about bluetooth - we had to repeat the name "bluetooth" about three times to him before he said "oh yeah". He confirmed that there was an automatic bluetooth software download about the time that this function first failed. The only way that I can use my cell phone directory now is using the "bluetooth" and "voice" commands mentioned in this thread - and NOT mentioned in the owners manual. The GM rep said to not use those commands, if they're not in the book, as "unspecified damage could result". I think that they should start requiring at least a high-school diploma before hiring these "experts". And their list of "approved" phones is really out of date. :banghead:

·
Registered
142 Posts
My wife and I had a similar problem.
The phone book loads into the car via bluetooth.
The car can save up to 30 name tags. It doesnt matter what your contacts list says. You need to assign each number you want the car to call by storing it in the car via voice or touch screen.
If you don't store a number with a voice tag, the "call" command won't work.
I will try to get my wife to repeat what we did and get it on video to post online. I think this is what you are referring to. If not, please let me know.

JCarm75

·
Registered
87 Posts
Old Salt said:
The only way that I can use my cell phone directory now is using the "bluetooth" and "voice" commands mentioned in this thread - and NOT mentioned in the owners manual.
Which model/year do you have? I have a 2011 and it's in my owner's manual...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was slightly disappointed when I found out that it worked this way myself (2012 NOX), but I spent about 15 minutes one day storing my most-used numbers on the Nox memory and am much happier now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Redhorseridge said:
Which model/year do you have? I have a 2011 and it's in my owner's manual...
Redhorseridge - you're right. After reading your post, I went back to the manual and found it at the very end of the Bluetooth section (and the very end of chapter #7), where they mention it. I expected it to be in the area where they talk about how to make a Bluetooth call. And this still doesn't explain why they disabled the function with the latest software update.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts