GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think it was just released, as I got a notification for it yesterday. Need to do some research on it and might get it once the warranty is up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are there any other people tuning the 2020 terrains?
Trifecta looks alot like open port tuning but not providing tuning software.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm working on a JB4 piggyback with Burger Motorsports. I'm hoping to have testing done by this summer. We're trying to figure out an issue its having with the MAP sensor and I can get back to testing again.

I have not heard good reports on Trifecta from other tuners. Supposedly their gains are nowhere near what they advertise. I offered them a chance to let me independently dyno test it, but they never bothered to respond.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well dam that disappointing...this is the 1st negative feed back I have read / heard about Trifecta.

I'm not looking to squeeze much if any additional power out of my 2.0

I only want to up the shift points to maintain the RPM's closer to 1500 when it downshifts. IMO I think the OEM shift points are far to low and save pennies to satisfy the MPG while risking the motor longevity. I.E same as that dumbass auto off motor idiotic invention.

It's the same theory running my High Compression Harley Davidson motor, ya just don't run it under 2k RPM's without risking damage to the motor. I'm not saying we can't operate the 2.0 under 2k but 1250 is far lower than I want to see and I often look up at the downshift RPM's to see the factory shift point operating the motor way lower than I want to see it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Well dam that disappointing...this is the 1st negative feed back I have read / heard about Trifecta.

I'm not looking to squeeze much if any additional power out of my 2.0

I only want to up the shift points to maintain the RPM's closer to 1500 when it downshifts. IMO I think the OEM shift points are far to low and save pennies to satisfy the MPG while risking the motor longevity. I.E same as that dumbass auto off motor idiotic invention.

It's the same theory running my High Compression Harley Davidson motor, ya just don't run it under 2k RPM's without risking damage to the motor. I'm not saying we can't operate the 2.0 under 2k but 1250 is far lower than I want to see and I often look up at the downshift RPM's to see the factory shift point operating the motor way lower than I want to see it.

there’s a couple members who have done it with good success . i’ve never heard a bad thing about trifecta, i had a cruze tuned by them without issue. they are one of the highest regarded tuners for late model gms. do some research on other forums, especially the regal gs forum and malibu forum as they both use the ltg 2.0t and people have had great luck with trifecta on those forums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had my Cruze tuned with them. It was the first Gen and they has some issues but got them eventually fine tuned. The 2.0T they have been doing a long time and everyone likes what they have done. The 2.0T is one of the best turbo engines in the world. It has been tuned up to 500hp with no issues, however most transmissions can't handle that so its not recommended to do that unless you upgrade the transmission.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm working on a JB4 piggyback with Burger Motorsports. I'm hoping to have testing done by this summer. We're trying to figure out an issue its having with the MAP sensor and I can get back to testing again.
This is the most promising news here. Is George helping you? The JB4 piggyback is great. Adjustable, removable, transferable.

Let us know the outcome

Personally Im not trying to tune my grocery getter. I like my mpg more

For speed be like me & buy a Corvette...

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had my Cruze tuned with them. It was the first Gen and they has some issues but got them eventually fine tuned. The 2.0T they have been doing a long time and everyone likes what they have done. The 2.0T is one of the best turbo engines in the world. It has been tuned up to 500hp with no issues, however most transmissions can't handle that so its not recommended to do that unless you upgrade the transmission.
Meh...not saying its impossible but 500hp is a stretch. Especially on the stock motor/ turbo.

Twin-scrolls usually die up top. And the Mitsubishi TD-04 is a baby

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is the most promising news here. Is George helping you? The JB4 piggyback is great. Adjustable, removable, transferable.

Let us know the outcome

Personally Im not trying to tune my grocery getter. I like my mpg more

For speed be like me & buy a Corvette...Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I'm working with Payam for now, and I'm sure Terry will get involved eventually, because they're going to need to get a car for final tuning. I'm in Florida and they're in California, so it's not like I can stop in for tuning and dynoing.

·
Registered
173 Posts

I have not heard good reports on Trifecta from other tuners. Supposedly their gains are nowhere near what they advertise. I offered them a chance to let me independently dyno test it, but they never bothered to respond.
Maybe they can incorporate the diesel too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
This right here why i would not use this system...
The JB4 is a plug and play tune available for turbocharged vehicles. The tuner installs between your car's sensor and it's DME/ECU (computer) and manipulates vehicle performance through these connections.

Nobody from Hennesey to Lingenfelter does this. All these type of systems do is basically tell the system when your a lower throttle to think your at higher throttle. Get a real tune from Trifecta where they can actually tune the car and not trick it into thinking its doing something its not. Trifecta had issues with the 1.4t in the first Gen Cruze after they fixed it it was unbelievable how the car drove. With the 2.0T they have been tuning it for a long time i would trust them over any one having you add a device in between the systems the control the car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This right here why i would not use this system...
The JB4 is a plug and play tune available for turbocharged vehicles. The tuner installs between your car's sensor and it's DME/ECU (computer) and manipulates vehicle performance through these connections.

Nobody from Hennesey to Lingenfelter does this. All these type of systems do is basically tell the system when your a lower throttle to think your at higher throttle. Get a real tune from Trifecta where they can actually tune the car and not trick it into thinking its doing something its not. Trifecta had issues with the 1.4t in the first Gen Cruze after they fixed it it was unbelievable how the car drove. With the 2.0T they have been tuning it for a long time i would trust them over any one having you add a device in between the systems the control the car.
There's several vendors that have successful piggy-back systems for the Camaro/ATS 2.0 LTG for years. The Terrain is no different. Also your throttle analogy is just wrong.

Having owned a JB4 I can tell you its great. These are the people you want tuning your turbocharged/small displacement/high-output vehicle. Not Hennesey or Lingenfelter lol, maybe if it was a push-rod V8...

If the JB1/JB4 does come out for us & you get around to trying it, you'll have a different opinion. ✌

·
Registered
223 Posts
My analogy is not wrong, its fooling the system is all its doing. The only benefit i see if it works is that if you have a problems with the car you might be able to remove it and the dealer won't notice anything in the computer logs. Umm Trifecta has been tuning GM engines for years and thats what they mainly do. To each their own. A plug and play system is not something i trust just my two cents.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My analogy is not wrong, its fooling the system is all its doing. The only benefit i see if it works is that if you have a problems with the car you might be able to remove it and the dealer won't notice anything in the computer logs. Umm Trifecta has been tuning GM engines for years and thats what they mainly do. To each their own. A plug and play system is not something i trust just my two cents.
It is wrong. You described it as being a simple throttle controller, which it is not. It increases boost/timing/and manages AFR's. i.e. 'fooling the system'.

This is how you make power.

Piggy-back vs. full-flash is whole 'nother argument. Again, having done full Cobb tunes & JB's, its not to say one is garbage and the other is the holy-grail.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts