GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Nox LTZ on order - got the NAV package as well. GM sells the PDMI cable for around $250. According to what I can tell if you hook up an IPOD using an IPOD cable you will be able to get some level of control functionlity on the head unit/screen, but I am not sure what it is. If there is another owner out there that is doing this can you please respond and tell me what kind of operation/control you get without the PDMI cable, just a regular IPOD cable?

Supposdly you get the ability to control the IPOD with the steering wheel control buttons with the PDMI cable. Can anyone verify this?
It seem a ridiculous amount for a cable. I wonder if there are any after market cables out there for cheap. I mean it's just a connector with wires going to the correct pins. why $250?

Thanks
David

·
Registered
193 Posts
I thought this was for older vehicles without a USB port. On the 2010+, you can just plug your iPod into the USB port in the center console and you can control it from the head unit and steering wheel controls. I have never used this feature as I don't want to tie up my phone, so I have a thumbdrive I load songs onto and just leave it plugged in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Supposdly you get the ability to control the IPOD with the steering wheel control buttons with the PDMI cable. Can anyone verify this?
[/quote]

Consider it verified. Using the USB cable that came with my iPhone, my iPod's playlist(s) load "as saved," are displayed on the head-unit, and I can control the IPod with the steering wheel thumb wheel (and/or using the various radio control buttons; fast forward, back, etc).

Seamless integration! And the iPod's sounds BLOWS AWAY Sirius/XM. I think you'll be impressed with the ease of use.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You can advance the songs using the thumbwheel on the steering wheel. First you have to use the dash buttons to select whether you want to listen to albums, artists, etc. You can't do everything through the thumbwheel control. The standard iPod cable with USB on one end is sufficient, no need to buy GM's part.

·
Registered
139 Posts
seems like GM is selling you a regular IPOD cable for $250? or a cable that works the same as a regular IPOD cable? haha

I use a cable I bought from Walmart for less than $20 and it works just fine....on the radio and steering controls. I think there trying to sell you BS

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used the cable that came with my Ipod when I had it and it worked wonderfully. Unfortunately I sold my Ipod and now am a Android user. I still play my music and Pandora through my Android just with now steering or stereo control of play list. Wish that this could change but I can see how it would be difficult. I guess there had to be 1 negative aspect about being a android user.. ;D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all that replied. My questions are answered. Don't need the cable to use the steering wheel controls. I did a little research. Apparently PDMI is a new standard, there's a big Wikepedia article about it, with all the pinouts. What GM is selling for $250 is a PDMI to USB converter cable, but I have no clue why you would need one after reading the responses here.

Nice forum, thanks!
David

·
Registered
111 Posts
I looked at the Wikipedia article and learned that PDMI was developed as a universal alternative to Apple's iPod output, which is proprietary. So if you have another brand device this cable should allow it to interface with the car. PDMI is compatible with USB 3.0 and it looks like the cables are pretty rare, which is why GM can charge so much for it. That won't last too long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts