MODELS: 2010-2013 Buick LaCrosse
2011-2013 Buick Regal
2012-2013 Buick Verano
2011-2013 Chevrolet Captiva
2010-2014 Chevrolet Equinox
2013 Chevrolet Malibu
2012-2013 Chevrolet Orlando
2010-2013 GMC Terrain
Equipped with 2.4L Ecotec Engine (LAF, LEA or LUK)
does this mean there was some change to the 2014+ terrain and 2015+ equinnox where the pcv issue is now fixed? what was the change?

#2 · (Edited)
A. )does anyone have information on if there has been a change to the 2014+ terrain pcv system? I ask because they arent mentioned in the TSB posted above.

B. )also would more frequent oil changes in the winter time (every 3,000miles) help to prevent the frozen pcv issue. Point being a more frequent oil change would drain out the moisture/condensation build up more frequently hopefully preventing a build up of moisture in the crankcase/internal engine compartments. thoughts?

#3 ·
I do not think changing oil more often would remedy the PCV issue. The reason is that the problem is not so much water build up in the oil as the condensation formed inside valve covers and cold engine parts as the engine runs. If you notice, the tail pipe on single digit and below zero weather steam for a long time even after you are getting heat inside form the heater. One by product of burning gasoline is water vapor. So, it builds up inside the valve covers and upper engine parts. If still cold enough, it will freeze.

If you are concerned, buy a second oil fill cap, drill a hole into it, and install the pressure relief (poppet ) valve I mentioned earlier and problem is solved. It won't reduce pent up moisture, but is will relieve crankcase pressure. The valve would need a very soft spring from Ace Hardware to provide just a little 1 or 2 PSI release pressure. Easy to find.

I purchased two of these valve myself for another project.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GDXT3O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: buggsy
#4 ·
here is the 14882 bulletin vehicle list by gm:

does this mean there was some change to the 2014+ terrain and 2015+ equinnox where the pcv issue is now fixed? what was the change?
No, it will not prevent the PVC from freezing which is the issue with 2.4 Eco tec. The freezing issue in the PVC line is the one that causes the rear and front seals to blow out

#6 ·
I'm going thru a nightmare of check engine codes suddenly on my 14' Equinox&ticking cold starts, pcv, air injection pump, throttle running, even my CFM breather froze closed WHILE driving.. I had zero problems til last month, except the day after I had it tuned+C.A.I, I smoked the trans solenoids. Now 6 mos later it started with a slight ticking after it sat all night. Had oil changed.. 2.5 qts low in the 560 miles between checking it&No leaks.Then check engine p04111 code. Took it to my gm dealer& they said I had clogged pump& a hole in my exhaust manifold!!! Somehow it was all covered under CA emissions act or somethin. My warranty had ran out so to hear its covered up to 150k was surprising. Dealer said pcv valve was fine but It wasn't. Car ran great for 2days, got 29.4mpg city then dropped to 14mpg. Took it back, told them pcv valve was clogging/freezing&was told it's probably my C.A.I. which makes no sense. Magically car ran great again for a week, then 5 days of freezing cold, but now it's not shifting right, seems like it can't get air. I'm putting factory airbox on tomorrow & buying cobalt SS to put the turbo kit on. I learned a valuable lesson: You can make an 01' olds intrigue /GXP swap with a 50 shot of nos fast as hell but not a 2nd gen Equinox.

#8 · (Edited)
Lesson learned should be don't fiddle with after market engine soup ups on modern cars.
And if you want a performance car. . .. buy that instead of doing a Frankenstein on an Equinox.

"Mods" and "Builds" on modern day vehicles do not lend themselves to long term reliability. Best to use a vehicle as it is Built from the factory.

And. .. as @RIT333 said. . . . best to research a vehicle on forums such as here to discover any pitfalls or short comings before buying. I and others joined here +6 months before buying an Equinox or Terrain. Due diligence.

#9 ·
here is the 14882 bulletin vehicle list by gm:

No , I have a 2014 terrain 2.4 with the same issue . Already blew the rear seal once . GMC won’t do anything to help . It ended up costing over 4,000 to have fixed . The pcv system was blamed by the dealer . I live in the northeast it was under 20 degrees the day it blew . Fast forward a year and it is clogged again . And what would you know it’s freezing temps here again. Awaiting the arrival of a part I ordered for the oil fill cap to relieve internal pressure. I will never purchase gmc again

#11 ·
Agree, the PCV system on the 2.4L GDI engines have design issues that can have serious consequences.

To be honest, you perhaps should have registered and visited here at least 7 or 8 years ago or especially after the first engine seal blew out.
Then you would be aware of the several ways you could have taken preventative measures to circumvent it from happening again.
The relatively simple DIY changes an owner can make to the PCV system would help greatly to save people these costly repairs.

Should they have to do it? No. But like many things in life, and with essentially any vehicle we might purchase, there are things that may have design issues big or small.
The reality of life is that nothing is perfect. So we either learn to live with it or learn to adapt and find a way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.