GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i recently bought a oil breather cap. it has a check ball. it pretty much looks like this : (see atached image). i put it on and start the car. I noticed a sputtering of air continually coming out of it. Meaning there is a constant blwoing of air coming out of it. does anyone think this will effect performance? will this cap rob the pcv system of recirculating it's air? i m trying to find a preventative method in hopes to prevent a rear main seal blow out in the winter

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Looks like a high quality part and if it has a check ball that's a good thing. I assume you've put this on a 2.4 and how many miles on the engine? The fact that it continually vents makes me think that the internal PCV system is well on it's way to being clogged and you may just have saved your rear main seal and engine. I believe the internal PCV systems are more to meet EPA requirements rather than for any performance requirements. Keep us updated on how it works out.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
so i recently bought a oil breather cap. it has a check ball. it pretty much looks like this : (see atached image). i put it on and start the car. I noticed a sputtering of air continually coming out of it. Meaning there is a constant blwoing of air coming out of it. does anyone think this will effect performance? will this cap rob the pcv system of recirculating it's air? i m trying to find a preventative method in hopes to prevent a rear main seal blow out in the winter
You will have to watch and see if you get any DTCs . . . fail code or check engine light.

It would help if you had an OBD II scanner and could monitor for any pending codes.

A ball check valve may not be enough back pressure to seal in the oil breather cap at idle. Have someone depress the gas pedal and hold 1,500 RPM or so and see if it still sputters. If it still sputters at 1,500 RPM you may indeed have blocked PCV valve.

Maybe ask other forum members to check their 2.4L by removing the oil filler cap and see if they can hear or feel air pulses at idle. It may be normal until more throttle is applied.
This is one reason I suggested a spring operated "pop off" pressure relief type valve mounted on a stock oil cap. They are adjustable and could be tweaked to provide a good seal under normal conditions.

I bought a couple of these for trial on daughter's 2.4L engine. Purchased from Amazon, but I modified it with a lower pressure spring I bought from Ace Hardware and cut down to size /
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GDXT3O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Modified Adjustable Valve - - :

Valve as purchased from Amazon - - -

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
so guys just to update this thread.. here is the breather oil cap i bought. it seems to fit well. it is from the camero ss which seems to use the same cap at the 2.4 ecotech.
here is the exact oil cap i bought:
https://www.c-f-m.com/performanceparts/pc/CFM-Performance-Billet-Valve-Cover-Breather-for-1998-02-2010-15-Chevrolet-Camaro-SS-ZL1-LSA-LSx-LS1-5-7-LS3-6-2L-766p212.htm

Looks like a high quality part and if it has a check ball that's a good thing. I assume you've put this on a 2.4 and how many miles on the engine? The fact that it continually vents makes me think that the internal PCV system is well on it's way to being clogged and you may just have saved your rear main seal and engine. I believe the internal PCV systems are more to meet EPA requirements rather than for any performance requirements. Keep us updated on how it works out.
yes i have the 2.4. my vehicle is a 2014 and i have 65k miles. the temps havent been cold here and i change my oil every 5 k with mobil 1 5-30 synthetic and use mobil 1 oil filters. I m almost certain my pcv system is not clogged.

You will have to watch and see if you get any DTCs . . . fail code or check engine light.
It would help if you had an OBD II scanner and could monitor for any pending codes.
A ball check valve may not be enough back pressure to seal in the oil breather cap at idle. Have someone depress the gas pedal and hold 1,500 RPM or so and see if it still sputters. If it still sputters at 1,500 RPM you may indeed have blocked PCV valve.
Maybe ask other forum members to check their 2.4L by removing the oil filler cap and see if they can hear or feel air pulses at idle. It may be normal until more throttle is applied.
This is one reason I suggested a spring operated "pop off" pressure relief type valve mounted on a stock oil cap. They are adjustable and could be tweaked to provide a good seal under normal conditions.
I bought a couple of these for trial on daughter's 2.4L engine. Purchased from Amazon, but I modified it with a lower pressure spring I bought from Ace Hardware and cut down to size /
I have two blue tooth scanners. i use torque pro and i have bluedriver. i will connect them soon and see if i get any codes.
i had someone hit the peddle and the engine still sputters at the oil cap in the 1500-3000rpm range. really doesnt make a difference. what i think it happening is that the vacuum air/ crankcase air is deciding to leave through the check ball instead of circulating through the internal pcv system (which may actually be a good thing in the winter time for these cars).

can someone else with a 2.4 see if air contually sputters out the oil cap hole even at idle??

yeah i saw your link to amazon. 25ft lbs is prolly to high. might want to get it down to 1-3ftlbs off back pressure.

anyways in the next few days i am going to ride around with the oil breather cap and see what happens. i ll update here.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
yeah i saw your link to amazon. 25ft lbs is prolly to high. might want to get it down to 1-3ftlbs off back pressure.

anyways in the next few days i am going to ride around with the oil breather cap and see what happens. i ll update here.

Yes. . you must have missed where I stated I modified the valve with a thinner spring form Ace Hardware. The FIRST picture I posed above clearly shows the thinner spring. I also posted all this information earlier in this same thread.

Also, this valve is adjustable over a range via a knurled thumb screw on the top and a lock nut to hold it in place for wherever you find the setting. I could adjust it over a range of 0 to about 8 PSI.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I wouldn't worry about back pressure being too low. PCV systems use a metering device such as a orifice or a PCV valve that is also a metering device to regulate how much air is pulled into the intake system. That's preset so fuel mixtures are a constant, that's why vacuum leaks from bad hoses/connections affect idle and/or set lean codes. I'd use the lightest spring, better to have a little oil mist mess come out that a seal blow out.

Reactions: ThreeNox

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you think the check ball oil cap with no back pressure will work? or will it screw something up

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
guys just to update i drove around a bit with the oil breather cap. no cels. once i put the air filter on top (look at the picture) i notice this air filter on top gives some back pressure to the check ball because air cannot flow as easily (air needs to blow through the air filter now). once you take the air filter off the top there is less resistance from the oil cap and you can hear the air flow freely from the check ball. once you put the air filter on top if forms a seal and resistance of air must blow through the air filter which gives some back pressure to the check ball. IMO works like a dream. if crank case pressure builds it will easily be relieved from this check ball air filter system. i think this is our answer guys. i noticed no oil leaks from the check ball itself or the oil seal itself. if it looks wet in the picture it is only from my oil change when i missed some oil. i will keep updating you guys but so far it is looking good!

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
drove around all day with this oil breather cap. no issues. not noticing any unwanted venting from the cap. I am no longer worrying about blowing a rear main this winter due to a frozen pcv

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks great and I'm sure it works well too, but for $80 I'll go buy a new cap ($5) and a pressure relief valve ($5) and be done with it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are right...no check ball . I want to order one you have . Any more observations ? Please keep us posted.
I ve noticed a change in my oil consumption rate slightly and a drop in my mpg. if it's related to the cap I m not sure. the cap isn't dirty inside the filter. the mpg could be related to the idling I did. to soon to confirm anything though.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
You are right...no check ball . I want to order one you have . Any more observations ? Please keep us posted.
No check ball? Go to a rummage sale or "borrow" a marble from a kid. They come in a couple of different sizes.

The billet ones on Ebay have a replaceable filter with a hose clamp on them. Take the filter off. . . insert the marble. .. . voila. .. . check valve. :thumb:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
so to update i ve been using the oil cap breather for some time now. average mpg seems to be out the same and oil consumption seems to be about the same. i m guessing if this thing really helps to prevent oil seal blow out the 80$ is well worth the simplicity (avoiding the need to make your own cap and hoping it ll work, the cfm oil breather cap even states that it is designed to work with oem pcv systems) and/or paying 2000$ to get a new crack rear seal put on.

cheers to all and cheers to no more rear main blow outs (hopefully)! (now if only the 2.4's didnt consume oil and have crappy transmissions :( ))

·
Banned
262 Posts
do you think the check ball oil cap with no back pressure will work? or will it screw something up
I recently installed a small oil separator (catch can) on my 2012 2.4l. It catches a lot of oil and moisture, reduces the intake valve build-up and prevents air box blockages due to freezes. The tech who did my piston replacement said to let the engine idle for a few minutes, creating high vacuum, to pull excess moisture and oil through the small orifice between the head and intake, before shutting down, especially when temperatures are freezing outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
to further update i ve been driving all winter so far with the cfm oil breather cap. no issues. just be sure to clean the oil breather cap every oil change.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't seem to find the site but I was reading up on how the pcv getting plugged was happening on some of the vehicles back in 2004. They would replace the cap with a breathable cap to stop the seals from blowing as part of the recall/TSB. I ordered one and have only used it for 20-30 miles so far. The part # ACDelco FC219 is for the 2.4. Is this a sufficient way to relieve the pressure if the pcv were to get plugged on the Equinox more specifically?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts