GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unbelievable Service from Chevy/GMC

Well add me to the list! my 2013 Chevy Equinox isn't covered either and guess what the problem is, yes you guest it the rear main seal, but my VIN number wasn't on the recall list either. I have a little over 117,000 miles and all the customer person from Chevy could say was sorry. She couldn't give me a clear reason why my equinox vin wasn't on the list. She said maybe this recall was already completed on your vehicle before you bought it. I said well you know my wiper recall hasn't been completed yet, shouldn't you know if it has been completed for a rear main seal? she said you will have to contact the car dealership where you purchased your vehicle from, they should know. Everything that I have been reading for the last two days is the design of this engine and that no one's vin number is listed on this recall. The repairs are going to cost me over $1100.00 dollars and Christmas is here in two weeks. I have been a Chevy/GMC fan for many years, but I cannot believe that they know this is a huge screw up on them and they are not standing behind their vehicles. I am ready to fight, not only for my vehicle repairs, but all of us! This is not acceptable! This vehicle cost over $29,000 dollars and Chevy/GMC needs to man up and do the right thing!!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just purchased a 2010. I called gm and they said mine was never in the recall for the pcv either. Currently the steering issue is but nothing else. From reading here and other places, weren't all them supposed to be recalled, especially the 2010s?

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Creeprcris:

Was it a “recall” or a TSB (technical service bulletin)? I’m guessing it was the latter because recalls are primarily (solely?) to address safety issues - and a PVC problem doesn’t sound like a safety issue; it sounds like a “possibly damage your engine” issue. And then with TSBs, it can be just a subset of vehicles affected (by VIN #). UPDATE: Earlier in this thread it says it's a TSB, covered by specific VIN#

Scottchr:

Personally, I’d probably avoid “class-action lawsuits” in favor of directly attacking both the dealer and GM (if that’s possible in your state). I would think even worst-case scenario where both your engine and transmission fail prematurely - you could still handle that in Small Claims Court. I think the dollar ceiling would be high enough for that. I also think the adage that “the only people who benefit from class-action lawsuits are the lawyers”, is largely true!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Has anyone successfully gotten their vehicle fixed by using this bulletin?

GMC told us that out vehicle (2012 chevy equinox 2.4L) isn't covered because nothing comes up with our VIN #. No recalls or bulletins. Which is weird because I got a letter about the oil consumption and that's a recall so I don't know what's up with that.

We have a feeling that GM is going to try and get out of paying/fixing our issue. BTW our car caught on fire because of this issue. On the highway. I have claim in with Chevrolet (not a dealer) and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I really hope something can get worked out. I would prefer not to make a claim on my insurance if I don't have to.

If GM doesn't want to help we're going to get an attorney because it's kind of ridiculous that they don't want to take care of this issue for soooooo many people. I mean we only have 107,000 on our car. We're well under the cut off for them to cover it.

Just really hoping it doesn't come to us having to get an attorney. I would hate to be that person but when it comes to cars catching on fire that a little much. I'm very thankful no one got hurt and that we don't currently have any children because getting them out of the car while it's on fire from a car seat or something would have been a horrible experience.

Update?

Did your vehicle insurance comprehensive coverage pay for the damage and/or repairs?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Those of you with oil consumption issues and/or the PCV Orifice defect, please add your name and vehicle to this class action lawsuit:
Lawyers Investigating Chevy Equinox, GMC Terrain Oil Consumption Issue .

There are thousands and thousands of us out there who have the same problem the more people that sign on to this the better.
Scott you have got to be very specific here the PCV orifice defect with the rear seal blowout and all the people being screwed because GM says our Vin# is not covered is not part of this lawsuit at all not even a mention of this Vin# scam by GM. I was a winner in this lawsuit you mention got a total rebuild free at the dealer for my 2013 Equinox 6 months ago we have a cold winter right now and two days ago the rear seal just blew out towed the SUV to Milford Chevrolet in CT...guy on phone said my Vin# not covered we need a specific class action law suit only for the PCV frozen oil blow out!!! If you know of one where I can sign up [email protected]
Isn’t a single soul online who said they had the right Vin# and had it all fixed for free not one! This is a GM Vin# scam if they give in to us it means lawsuits coming because there may be people out there who died because of the oil blow out there has to be not everyone can be lucky with an oil blowout break down on highway like this no way

·
Registered
4 Posts
n February 9th 2021 at 5:00pm when it was 6 degrees with snow covered road outside, I was driving to a appointment about 10 miles away when my car started to act up. No warning lights or bells when off. I pulled into a Quick Trip and put some heat in thinking to was a gas line freeze up. I went a short 1.5 miles to my appt and my car died. I was able to pull of to the side of the road and notice a lot of oil coming from my car. Again still no warning lights or bells went off. I towed it to Hendrick Chevrolet where all the oil changes and all previous work have been done. The problem is a rear main seal that is blown due to the PCV value getting clogged with water and freezing causing high crack case pressure, blowing the rear seal. GM has a service bulletin 14882 which covers this condition if the car is under 120000 miles/10 years from in service date. My car has 110501miles and the end service date 6/2012 and should be covered. However GM says my VIN # isn't part up the 14882 bulletin. My repair cost is $3200.00 It seems the cars that are manufactured in Mexico are part of this bulletin but the cars manufactured in Canada are not. There are a lot of people out there facing and complaining about this. There is a lot of complaints on your website. This condition only will occurs during below freezing conditions potentially making it a very dangerous condition. In my case if I was driving on I-435 instead of Holmes road my life would have been put in danger.
This should be a very easy fix for GM it make to in sure the safety of drivers during freezing conditions and to prevent the very expensive cost for the consumer to bare. In my case I'm picking up my car, stowing it and finding a lawyer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
n February 9th 2021 at 5:00pm when it was 6 degrees with snow covered road outside, I was driving to a appointment about 10 miles away when my car started to act up. No warning lights or bells when off. I pulled into a Quick Trip and put some heat in thinking to was a gas line freeze up. I went a short 1.5 miles to my appt and my car died. I was able to pull of to the side of the road and notice a lot of oil coming from my car. Again still no warning lights or bells went off. I towed it to Hendrick Chevrolet where all the oil changes and all previous work have been done. The problem is a rear main seal that is blown due to the PCV value getting clogged with water and freezing causing high crack case pressure, blowing the rear seal. GM has a service bulletin 14882 which covers this condition if the car is under 120000 miles/10 years from in service date. My car has 110501miles and the end service date 6/2012 and should be covered. However GM says my VIN # isn't part up the 14882 bulletin. My repair cost is $3200.00 It seems the cars that are manufactured in Mexico are part of this bulletin but the cars manufactured in Canada are not. There are a lot of people out there facing and complaining about this. There is a lot of complaints on your website. This condition only will occurs during below freezing conditions potentially making it a very dangerous condition. In my case if I was driving on I-435 instead of Holmes road my life would have been put in danger.
This should be a very easy fix for GM it make to in sure the safety of drivers during freezing conditions and to prevent the very expensive cost for the consumer to bare. In my case I'm picking up my car, stowing it and finding a lawyer.
Have you had any success in getting GM to cover your repairs? I too had my rear main explode on the highway in negative degree temps. And I too got the same old "your VIN is not included in the special warranty." However, when I speak to GM they cannot tell me why. Just told me that I must meet on of the 2 parameters which are engine & engine part. Well, I meet the engine model. But GM still couldn't explain why. They are a huge waste! I've owned GM's for 20 years. They have lost a customer in me. Never again will I ever own another one!!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts