GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully gotten their vehicle fixed by using this bulletin?

GMC told us that out vehicle (2012 chevy equinox 2.4L) isn't covered because nothing comes up with our VIN #. No recalls or bulletins. Which is weird because I got a letter about the oil consumption and that's a recall so I don't know what's up with that.

We have a feeling that GM is going to try and get out of paying/fixing our issue. BTW our car caught on fire because of this issue. On the highway. I have claim in with Chevrolet (not a dealer) and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I really hope something can get worked out. I would prefer not to make a claim on my insurance if I don't have to.

If GM doesn't want to help we're going to get an attorney because it's kind of ridiculous that they don't want to take care of this issue for soooooo many people. I mean we only have 107,000 on our car. We're well under the cut off for them to cover it.

Just really hoping it doesn't come to us having to get an attorney. I would hate to be that person but when it comes to cars catching on fire that a little much. I'm very thankful no one got hurt and that we don't currently have any children because getting them out of the car while it's on fire from a car seat or something would have been a horrible experience.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Wishing you well as you go forward in this process with Chevrolet and GM. Be prepared for a long drawn out legal process--although there seems to be ample situations available to use as references that yours isn't an isolated instance or incident. Good luck and keep us apprised; there are others here with similar experience.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Not to be rude..... but you should of let it burn.
LMAO! Scrolled down to see this last comment and had to laugh at the name (and the comment)!

Not too long ago, someone managed to slip a couple of expletives past the board sensors in a single post!

Now an expletive in a member name? What's next, graphic photographs?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Look in the back of your owner's manual. There is a resolution process. (if) you do not have original owner's manual. Go to:

https://my.gmc.com/home & enter make, model, year. You can also, type in VIN# And see (if) there are any outstanding recalls on that VIN#

Look towards back of on-line owner's manual. You will find the (3) step resolution process. Don't Give Up! But don't be rude & un-professional. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
The oil consumption issue is not a recall, it is a special coverage bulletin, in which they extended the warranty to 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first. A recall has not been issued to address the oil consumption issue

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would love to hear any feedback of successful resolution with GM. This just happened to my moms car and they are saying her VIN # doesn't apply to this situation.

It appears GM is well aware there is an issue, but aren't owning up to solving the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2013 Equinox has the same PCV valve issue. On Christmas Day (below zero temps and -20 windchills) PCV valve froze, failed, blew out the main seal, dumped the oil, engine died at 65mph on the highway. My family and I almost got rear ended due to the rapid deceleration of my vehicle at highway speed!

GM says they won’t cover it because my VIN is not part of 14882 recall. This, despite the fact that CLEARLY I did have the exact defect and failure outlined in the 14882 bulletin. The problem is NOT that my VIN isn’t defective, the problem is that GMs list is WRONG!

My car has now been in the shop 28 days (and counting) and still no resolution. My dealer is willing to replace the engine and give me a goodwill adjustment as I’ve been their customer for the last 25 years, but I’m still looking at close to $5000 for the repair, on top of the $500 (goodwill adjusted price) I already paid to the dealer my car was initially towed to for the replaced main seal - which didn’t completely correct the problem as my engine now has a loud knock when the engine is running after the main seal was repaired.

I’ve asked GM for assistance with the cost of the engine replacement and now they’re saying before they’ll even consider any % of help on the cost (they’ve told me flat out they will NOT cover the entire cost) the engine must first be torn apart (at MY EXPENSE) to determine the cause (which we already 100% know from the previous dealer repair) and for them to determine if the engine can be fixed or if it should be replaced!

The kicker is my vehicle was roughly 100 days beyond the Powertrain warrantee period (5 years/100,000 miles) but only had about 80,000 miles on it. Let’s be serious here GM, my engine did not die of old age! It died because my 2.4L ecotec has a defect that led to complete engine failure!

Congrats GM, you’ve managed to lose a life long customer who has driven nothing but Chevy and GM vehicles for 35 years and bought nothing but GM vehicles for my wife and kids. That makes close to 20 GM vehicles over my lifetime. Rest assured the very next vehicle I get will be anything but a GM product.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
scottchr

Excellent post, but you are preaching to the choir - as "they" say. You need to send stuff like this to GMs front office. Years ago, GM CS people used to monitor this forum, buy they haven't in years - from what I can recall.

If I were you, I would check out junk yards for a newer engine and have an independent shop put it in - but not until you are convinced that GM really means No !

I just read the GM recall, and based upon mileage and year of your vehicle, you fall within the coverage specs, so why are they not covering it ?

·
Registered
116 Posts
The oil consumption issue is not a recall, it is a special coverage bulletin, in which they extended the warranty to 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first. A recall has not been issued to address the oil consumption issue
For sure, had mine done at 84,000 miles
They told me exention of warranty, gave me a loaner car and everything. The bad thing is my gas mileage is down about 3 miles per gallon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
RIT333. Mine isn’t ncluded in 14882 because my VIN is not part of the”chosen”group. 🙄 even though what happened to my vehicle is EXACTLY what is described in the recall.

I have a case number and have been assigned a senior advisor. She’s been very little help and when I ask to be escalated to someone higher she refuses.

Like I said, i’m done with GM for future vehicles. I’ll be sending them a picture of me smiling next to my new not GM vehicle in about a year.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
RIT333. Mine isn’t ncluded in 14882 because my VIN is not part of the”chosen”group. �� even though what happened to my vehicle is EXACTLY what is described in the recall.

I have a case number and have been assigned a senior advisor. She’s been very little help and when I ask to be escalated to someone higher she refuses.

Like I said, i’m done with GM for future vehicles. I’ll be sending them a picture of me smiling next to my new not GM vehicle in about a year.
I'm rooting for you that GM does step up and cover this issue for you. It seems this is an issue with some other engines for GM as well as several other major car makers.

That said, when you do shop for another vehicle, make sure you do extensive research on websites like this and others that cover any vehicle model you might be thinking about. I did this for over 3 months before selecting a 2015 Equinox with the 3.6L V6 engine which has had none of these issue and we have had several winters of single digit to -15F. The past two weeks were -2 to -11F almost every morning till this weekend.

Some other car makers have CVT issues. Mainly Nissan, Honda, Kia and others. Stay away from those no matter WHAT the dealer, forum members, etc say. There are also other engine issues with Ford engines, Chrysler products, Toyota, Hyundai, Subaru and more. In short, research and never, never . . . buy a new first (2nd and maybe 3rd) model year of a vehicle. Buy something that is proven or has a history of only minor problems. These days. .. . no car is perfect in all aspects. Too much technology to keep up with EPA requirements and the almighty profit margin.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
scottchr - any lawyer friends ? You have to be able to win your case. You would if I was the judge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jaytee, I agree. That’s why I bought the 2013 Equinox when I did. It’s a complex mechanical device, stuff happens, but the problem is a company that refuses to stand behind a clearly defective engine. Like I said before, on bulletin 14882, their included vehicle list is flat out wrong.

Rit, I’m trying to avoid that since my dealer has been trying very hard to make this right for me. If I have to litigate this, they’d unfortunately likely have to take the fall along with GM because an attorney would cite anyone in the chain of events. I will say this though, depending on what GM decides this week, I am considering litigation.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
Is your car registered on MyGM.com ? When you look, does it show your coverage for that specific recall ?

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I'm on myGM.com. Nope, no recalls or bulletins. The only thing currently is an extended coverage for the steering column issue.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
Yes, I'm on myGM.com. Nope, no recalls or bulletins. The only thing currently is an extended coverage for the steering column issue.
I just looked up my old '10 and I didn't have any extended coverage regarding the PCV either. Humm...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone successfully gotten their vehicle fixed by using this bulletin?

GMC told us that out vehicle (2012 chevy equinox 2.4L) isn't covered because nothing comes up with our VIN #. No recalls or bulletins. Which is weird because I got a letter about the oil consumption and that's a recall so I don't know what's up with that.

We have a feeling that GM is going to try and get out of paying/fixing our issue. BTW our car caught on fire because of this issue. On the highway. I have claim in with Chevrolet (not a dealer) and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I really hope something can get worked out. I would prefer not to make a claim on my insurance if I don't have to.

If GM doesn't want to help we're going to get an attorney because it's kind of ridiculous that they don't want to take care of this issue for soooooo many people. I mean we only have 107,000 on our car. We're well under the cut off for them to cover it.

Just really hoping it doesn't come to us having to get an attorney. I would hate to be that person but when it comes to cars catching on fire that a little much. I'm very thankful no one got hurt and that we don't currently have any children because getting them out of the car while it's on fire from a car seat or something would have been a horrible experience.

I have the same issue. I also do have a 2012 Equinox and my car broke down on the highway and my rear main seal exploded. I have filed it in a class action lawsuit claim. We need to gang together for a class action. I have the coverage for over consuming oil (which it does and now I have to schedule a separate appointment to test it because my car is so messed up they cannot test it now)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts