GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wax my gold colored Terrain for the first time. Looks great. One problem though..... No matter how hard I try, I still manage to get some wax on the non-painted plastic (or whatever) black trim. I rub and rub but it still leave a white residue. Any suggestions or trick for removing the white residue on the black plastic?

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
Believe it or not, I've read that you can use peanut butter. (Don't use crunchy !) Try it in a small area.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm. I guess just smear some on a rag and rub it on and then off? I'll give it a shot. Hope the rodents don't eat the grill.......

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
White vinegar or WD-40 is also suggested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
blue painter's tape works pretty good at preventing the wax from going where it shouldnt if you have the time to tape everything off before you start...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried the vinegar. Did not work well. Think I will pick up some WD-40 to try before the peanut butter.....

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Peanutbutter??

WD-40??

Vinegar????

Good lord men. Go to the supermarket/target/walmart. Buy Mr Clean Magic Erasers. Buy a big box of them. Thank me later.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Back to Black
I buy mine at a little locally owned shop but it's a Mother's product and should be available at any decent sized auto store(I know I've seen it at Canadian Tire too)

I use it on my bike(ie: the only vehicle I've ever owned that I care enough to wax) for exactly the same situations.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mothers 06108 Back-To-Black - 8 oz

About $5 from Amazon. I'll look for it at the Auto store (there is an Advanced Auto Parts just up the road). Thanks.

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
Sorry, I didn't realize that teh wax was on the grill. I will take back the peanut butter suggestion, and go with the back to black.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the Back to Black at the locat auto store. Shines up the black grill nice. Removes a little of the white. White smear still visible. Guess I'm just going to be extra careful next time I wax.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Back to Black will dull and dry out the black plastic parts after continued use and exposure to the sun.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NY_Joe said:
Back to Black will dull and dry out the black plastic parts after continued use and exposure to the sun.
Well, that is not a good thing!

·
Registered
239 Posts
NY_Joe said:
I've been using it on an 01 Suzuki Bandit 1200s for years and have not noticed this, is it something I will notice in the second decade of ownership?

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
GMCdriver said:
I've been using it on an 01 Suzuki Bandit 1200s for years and have not noticed this, is it something I will notice in the second decade of ownership?
What is that?? A bike?

I think the surface area used on and areas with direct exposure to the sun might vary a tiny bit.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NY_Joe said:
If I may ask, what was the source of the above information please?

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
tmozer said:
If I may ask, what was the source of the above information please?
I can't remember the exact detailing website but I remember reading it online.

Whatever is used to raise/restore the shine in ArmorAll, BAck to Black etc dries out the black trim and helps speed up the oxidation. This site had recommended using something that was made for boats and sold in a marine shop.

I need to do a search or look at home for it. Not a big fan of shining up the black trim unless its my wheels.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
WD40 cheap and it works.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Avoid the white residue totally and buy a product that does not leave any such as zaino.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had the same problem on my Sierra truck trim so I stopped at the local detailers shop and ask him about it. His reply was "if you worked for me I would fire you!" I took that to mean that there isnt a good way of removing it. I emailed 3M and ask them if they had a product that would remove the wax residue and they said yes and told me what it was so I ordered it. Big waste of money. Zaino bros recommends using Dawn Ultra dish detergent to strip off old wax before rewaxing a car so just maybe putting some of it on straight on the residue, let it soak and then working it with a small brush like a tooth brush may work. Let us know if you find what does work. You can bet I will be using the blue or green painters tape when I do my Nox

1 - 20 of 27 Posts