GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
08 ‘Nox LS AWD Summit white, 07 Torrent FWD Black, 05 Pursuit Ultra Silver, 16 F150 XLT Sport
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My moms 07 torrent has been leaking water inside on the passenger side floor. I have extracted it constantly and starting to get irritated. From what I've read it can be a couple things;

-clogged sunroof drain
-detached sunroof drain*
-bad door seal.

Where does the drain come detached? I've tried blasting dirt out of it a few years ago and that worked, but all of a sudden it has started to leaking again. After a rainfall or after I wash the car. Any other recommendations on where to look? Also, is the door seal a common thing to go on these cars? It costs an astounding two hundred dollars, which I am NOT spending on a formed piece of rubber.

·
Registered
08 ‘Nox LS AWD Summit white, 07 Torrent FWD Black, 05 Pursuit Ultra Silver, 16 F150 XLT Sport
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My moms 07 torrent has been leaking water inside on the passenger side floor. I have extracted it constantly and starting to get irritated. From what I've read it can be a couple things;

-clogged sunroof drain
-detached sunroof drain*
-bad door seal.

Where does the drain come detached? I've tried blasting dirt out of it a few years ago and that worked, but all of a sudden it has started to leaking again. After a rainfall or after I wash the car. Any other recommendations on where to look? Also, is the door seal a common thing to go on these cars? It costs an astounding two hundred dollars, which I am NOT spending on a formed piece of rubber.
And no the rear of the car does not have water in it, just the passenger front side.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
4,510 Posts
I’ve never owned a car with a sunroof, but I thought I read where the drain tubing would get detached in a side column, on its way down ... and I thought it was the rear column?

My Aunt had a 1990 Olds Calais (bought brand new) that, one year, suddenly started leaking onto the passenger floor board. I used a garden hose, spraying water very slowly and precisely, and pausing in between, to prove it was coming from the windshield (or so I thought). Turned out it wasn’t the windshield, but underneath the black plastic cowling around the wipers! There was a deliberately-formed (deep) trough to collect and drain water that had a magnetic “flip-door” at the very bottom. The trough had filled with dirt, leaves, etc. over the years to the point of creating a dam at the bottom of the trough! The water would fill up inside the trough until it got to the top, and when it “overflowed” (If it rained enough), the water would enter the passenger compartment by following the firewall (on the inside), and then pooling up - underneath the carpeting - in the passenger-side footwell.

Cleaning out this trough stopped the water from getting in. Think I remember removing the magnetic flip door, too...

For your car, I’d seriously doubt it’s the door seal. I would think that’s extremely rare. It’s either something like the Calais issue, or its the sunroof drain. Are there interior plastic panels you can remove to access the drain tubing? Maybe since your leak is in the front, it’s coming down that front windshield pillar? Maybe you can see the direction by opening the sunroof and looking for where the tubing appears to be going?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve never owned a car with a sunroof, but I thought I read where the drain tubing would get detached in a side column, on its way down ... and I thought it was the rear column?

My Aunt had a 1990 Olds Calais (bought brand new) that, one year, suddenly started leaking onto the passenger floor board. I used a garden hose, spraying water very slowly and precisely, and pausing in between, to prove it was coming from the windshield (or so I thought). Turned out it wasn’t the windshield, but underneath the black plastic cowling around the wipers! There was a deliberately-formed (deep) trough to collect and drain water that had a magnetic “flip-door” at the very bottom. The trough had filled with dirt, leaves, etc. over the years to the point of creating a dam at the bottom of the trough! The water would fill up inside the trough until it got to the top, and when it “overflowed” (If it rained enough), the water would enter the passenger compartment by following the firewall (on the inside), and then pooling up - underneath the carpeting - in the passenger-side footwell.

Cleaning out this trough stopped the water from getting in. Think I remember removing the magnetic flip door, too...

For your car, I’d seriously doubt it’s the door seal. I would think that’s extremely rare. It’s either something like the Calais issue, or its the sunroof drain. Are there interior plastic panels you can remove to access the drain tubing? Maybe since your leak is in the front, it’s coming down that front windshield pillar? Maybe you can see the direction by opening the sunroof and looking for where the tubing appears to be going?
I can remove the A pillar trim on the inside and part of the drain is there but I dont know where it leads to- i know it goes underneath the car but i wish I had heard about this issue prior to doing the heater core two months ago- would have been easier to diagnose and even replace it if i wanted to. oh well. Ill try leaving some soap or something in it to hopefully loosen it all up. I know it goes down the a pillar just not too sure about after that. I can only imagine it would go straight down maybe the firewall?

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
4,510 Posts
@nick_leroux : Hope this helps (from my 2011 Manual, but likely similar):

UPDATE: Images removed after sufficient time period

Reactions: nick_leroux

·
Registered
2019 Terrain SLE AWD 1.5
148 Posts
Before you go digging into the firewall area...make sure the drain hose is attached at the sunroof itself. My Vue would have the same problem from time to time and the hose would pop off of the sunroof drain. I used to have to take off the a pillar trim and pull back the top rubber seal to get to it. If you search YouTube there's a good video as to how to do it. When I reattached it I used a zip tie to keep it tight on the frame. Would work for a good long while and then mysteriously pop off again.

Reactions: nick_leroux

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ill give that a shot tomorrow after work and see how it goes. Thanks for the photos, should be helpful. I don't think they changed some things between the first and second gens and this might be one of them

·
Registered
2019 Terrain SLE AWD 1.5
148 Posts
Here's one of the videos.

It's for the Vue but the same as the Nox

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
79 Posts
If the sunroof isn’t used just turn it into a skylight. Unplug the switch to it and seal around the unit with silicone. I had to do the same to an older car back in the 90’s. Wasn’t worth the money or time to repair.

·
Registered
2012 terrain 2.4 ecotec flexer
82 Posts
I had a 96 Saturn that would flood the passenger side when it rained and on top of that it quit working. A hole in the roof is a stupid idea anyway if you think about it and what they charge for this option is rediculus. Hardly ever used it and if you ask people who have one probably never do either.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: I ended up finding the drain tube to have come detached as John and Colt Hero mentioned. I ended up cleaning the drain tube and the drain itself. I used blue Tuck Tape made for Vapour Barrier, and that stuff stays sticky for a while. My dad used it on his ‘99 century when the window regular took a crap. The residue was still on the window 6 years after when we scrapped it. Great stuff! Highly recommend- especially for door vapour barriers too. Thanks guys, it’s been over a month and it’s held with zero issues. Cheers boys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts