GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been having problems with my 2010 Equinox with the 4L engine LT FWD, I discovered this site last week and I guess I’m looking for some feedback on what I should do.

There is so much info to be explained this is a very long post. I tried to limit unnecessary items but there are just too many details that are pertinent. I’ve divided it into two posts. The first deals with the timing chain. The second deals with the fuel pump.

We purchased our Equinox on 3/15/2010. The purchase decision was made partly on cabin space and 30mpg claims for the 4cyl. My wife is a visiting nurse and drives approx 31K a year.

I have to say that fairly early on the engine made peculiar noises at idle, I cannot say exactly when, but the noise slowly and subtly continued to worsen. Keep in mind this noise existed to some extent at previous visits to the dealer at 32.6k miles and at 43.8k miles and no mention of this noise was made on the service record or identified by the tech. In fact, I instructed my wife specifically to ask about the noise at the 43.8k visit and she told me the Service Professional basically just dismissed it without any consideration and there is no mention of the noise on the service record. I told my wife that when we bought the car the salesman told us it was the latest hi-tech motor, a smart motor which allows it to get 30mpg. I deduced from that and honestly believed that the engine was shutting down cylinders at idle to conserve fuel making it sound similar to a diesel engine.

It wasn’t until I was parked idling outside a 7/11 waiting for my son to get his slurpee when a vagrant, rummaging through the garbage container looking for returnable’s, looked up and frowned telling me “it sounds like you need a new water pump”. I sat there and listened - it was then I felt ashamed it took a homeless guy to make me realized there is something definitely wrong with this vehicle. I immediately took it in for service and after first replacing the camshaft solenoid didn’t eliminate the noise they pulled the motor and had to replace the timing chain, tensioners, chain guide, actuators, gaskets, seals, drive and reprogrammed ECM/TCM.

On receiving the car back the difference in sound was so dramatic that I now know with absolute certainty that at previous dealer visits the abnormal noise existed but was not recognized or acknowledged. I am not going to speculate as to the reasons why the noise wasn’t noticed or addressed.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I have had a chance to read your other post as well. I would have to agree that your best bet would be to continue to keep and eye on your concerns. If they seem to get worse please feel free to contact me for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tricia, Thank you for your post. There are some points I left off due to space issues, and in defense of the dealership personnel, I did the same thing I asked them to do. Placing myself in they're shoes, I too feel I would have a hard time with accepting that quantity of oil loss in 10 days. Maybe it is something they should have known about this vehicle, maybe not.

I am not happy at all with the Service Professional, her interaction with me bordered on degrading. While the Service Director and I did disagree, he was always professional and courteous. Twice, before I left he tried to assure me that if I had problems due to known issues with this motor they would take care of it even if the vehicle was outside of warranty. I honestly don't know how to take that, I didn't get the impression he was only trying to appease me yet at the same time I have doubts a Service Director has the ability to authorize such action. He further emphasized to keep a close eye on the oil level and if it gets low not add any but bring it back in.

Finally, I did add to Part 2 if you are interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts