GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering how this system works?

I notice a small opening left of the 3rd brake light at the top of the rear liftgate.
No idea what it's for...perhaps an infrared laser?

I wonder if a laser actually casts an invisible grid pattern or if the grid pattern is a "software image" that moves on the Infotainment display as the steering wheel is rotated?
I kind of doubt an actual laser is used because one would think any small deviations on the ground would show up as distorted (i.e. not parallel) grid lines.

At any rate, a very handy system and anyone that actually knows, or if you have an guesses on how this works, please feel free to chime in!

Any ideas what the little opening is for at the top of the liftgate, just left of the brake light, appreciated as well.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SnowItch said:
It's magic.

Geez, you gearheads always have to analyze and want to know how everything works. Sometimes, it's just magic...
Funny, I used to tell Customers that same thing when installing Automation in the Auto Plants.

:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not sure what that hole is for, but the backup sensors are located on the bumper below the liftgate (four circles about the size of a nickel) they are actually ultrasonic sensors. We use them in the Aerospace industry, basically they work along the same principle as radar, except they send a very high frequency sound wave. Distance is calculated by how long it takes the sending signal to return to receiver.

KJ

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
noncon said:
Not sure what that hole is for, but the backup sensors are located on the bumper below the liftgate (four circles about the size of a nickel) they are actually ultrasonic sensors. We use them in the Aerospace industry, basically they work along the same principle as radar, except they send a very high frequency sound wave. Distance is calculated by how long it takes the sending signal to return to receiver.

KJ
Thanks noncon.
The ultrasonic sensors part I understand.
We actually integrated and used ultrasonic sensors (most notably Polaroid auto focus "kits" they sold, exact same size as on vehicle bumpers now) on robots as far back as the 80's for collision detection, be it with other robots or with other machinery or parts in a process.
We also used ultrasonic probes to measure weld integrity non destructively on shock absorber caps, for example, to check for porosity in such things as forged rear spindles and to "map surfaces" of such things as drum brake shoes for post processing.

The gridlines are what's bugging me right now and SnowItch may have a valid point that I should just leave it as "magic" (but I can't LOL!).
;D
Please keep any ideas coming if you want and I'll ask the Dealer what the little hole is for next time we bring the Terrain in.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Are you referring to the rear window washer nozzle?

·
Registered
93 Posts
gearhead said:
Thanks noncon.
The ultrasonic sensors part I understand.
We actually integrated and used ultrasonic sensors (most notably Polaroid auto focus "kits" they sold, exact same size as on vehicle bumpers now) on robots as far back as the 80's for collision detection, be it with other robots or with other machinery or parts in a process.
We also used ultrasonic probes to measure weld integrity non destructively on shock absorber caps, for example, to check for porosity in such things as forged rear spindles and to "map surfaces" of such things as drum brake shoes for post processing.
Wow. Good stuff, I did not know that.

KJ

·
Registered
155 Posts
like you mentioned, it seems to me that it's just a digital image overlaid on top of the video that adjusts with the steering wheel position. Course it still could be magic. ;) I love this feature and wish I had the sensors as well.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Terrain said:
Are you referring to the rear window washer nozzle?
Dang, I thought that little hole was something magic!
LOLOLOLOL!

·
Registered
698 Posts
gearhead said:
Dang, I thought that little hole was something magic!
LOLOLOLOL!
Bonus points for the creativity, though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts