GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been tossing around the idea painting the 4 brake calipers red to add some personal touches to my Terrain. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this? I'd be going with the G2 caliper epoxy with the possibility of a GMC decal on each caliper.

·
Registered
182 Posts
In my humble opinion, self-painted brake calipers look incredibly lame. Partly because nobody does it right, and partly because people do it on the wrong vehicles (read: civics, Terrains). Just my personal opinion. If you are really wanting to do it, TAKE THE TIME to do it right. Buy a 2nd set of calipers, and spend the few weeks it will take you to do it properly. The pre-made paints and expoxies DO NOT last. You have to use high-heat primers, and a good 5 or 6 coats of high quality paint, and then several coats of clear-coat, and then a a good hard diamond coat. And this is all assuming the extra the paint doesn't bugger the clearances and cause things not to work/fit.

If you truly want dressy brakes, buy a good set of brembos. Once you have brembos, every other braking system will seem like mushy crap. Mind you, a full brembo setup aint cheap. i've had Brembo's on previous cars/bikes and they're amazing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. If I do end up doing something, I would go the upgrade route. I agree it would look lame. Just kicking around some ideas.

·
Registered
55 Posts
scottyyyc said:
In my humble opinion, self-painted brake calipers look incredibly lame. Partly because nobody does it right, and partly because people do it on the wrong vehicles (read: civics, Terrains). Just my personal opinion. If you are really wanting to do it, TAKE THE TIME to do it right. Buy a 2nd set of calipers, and spend the few weeks it will take you to do it properly. The pre-made paints and expoxies DO NOT last. You have to use high-heat primers, and a good 5 or 6 coats of high quality paint, and then several coats of clear-coat, and then a a good hard diamond coat. And this is all assuming the extra the paint doesn't bugger the clearances and cause things not to work/fit.

If you truly want dressy brakes, buy a good set of brembos. Once you have brembos, every other braking system will seem like mushy crap. Mind you, a full brembo setup aint cheap. i've had Brembo's on previous cars/bikes and they're amazing.

Good luck finding up grade calipers for equinox.......same as led tailights....not alvaible as yet........too new......

·
Registered
365 Posts
I had the ones on my Vette powder coated :cheers:

·
Registered
477 Posts
scottyyyc said:

I painted my Corvette calipers 6 years ago and they look just as good now as then. To do it right you need to do good prep work. Perfectly clean. Then you need the right paint. Don't skimp here. I used a 2 part epoxy made for calipers. After mixing you have about 4 hours before it sets. You apply it with a brush but it flows into a high gloss finish. Worked great for me so it can be done. Also, it's best to remove the calipers if possible but it can be done with them in place.

The absolute best way is to remove everything you want painted and have them powder coated.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
jls1958 said:
Good luck finding up grade calipers for equinox.......same as led tailights....not alvaible as yet........too new......
The Theta platform has been around since 05....or 03 if you count the short wheelbase version on the Saturn Vue. I think it has more to do with the type of vehicle it is, and the relatively small numbers of people who want to mod or add performance parts.

·
Registered
111 Posts
scottyyyc said:
Chevy used Brembo on the HHR SS, which is no longer available. I seriously considered the 2010 HHR SS with performance upgrades. A true SS, and not just a badge upgrade. Are Brembos available for Equinox? If so it would be great for performance and towing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts